It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which and how many countries has the US bombed since the end of WWII?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Wow, talk about rewriting history. Japan was after raw materials that they didn't have in their own country. They were trying to become a major power and needed materials to build up their military/civilian industries. And how does what they did to people in China count as liberating them? You don't drop chemical/biological weapons on people you're trying to liberate, unless you want to kill them and move more people into that area. And we won't even go into what they did to POWs. Bataan Death March? what? And they CERTAINLY weren't out to liberate Hawaii. The only reason they even bothered with Pearl Harbor was to eliminate the Pacific Fleet.

I forgot to put 'liberation' in quotes on some of my mentions of that word.
I was merely comparing them to the US and using countries that the US itself has 'liberated'.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Except the huge difference between Japan and the US is that Japan was doing it to take over resources, and occupy those countries, where as 99% of the military actions the US has taken were to protect people from genocide, or invasion. I'm not suggesting that all the military actions were for purely altruistic motives, because we all know they weren't, but they weren't for world conquest, and we didn't drop chem/bio weapons on anyone, or perform surgery just to replace parts of a human body to see what would happen.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Except the huge difference between Japan and the US is that Japan was doing it to take over resources, and occupy those countries, where as 99% of the military actions the US has taken were to protect people from genocide, or invasion. I'm not suggesting that all the military actions were for purely altruistic motives, because we all know they weren't, but they weren't for world conquest, and we didn't drop chem/bio weapons on anyone, or perform surgery just to replace parts of a human body to see what would happen.

How can you say you were not trying to take over resources and occupy countries? How many countries has the US occupied over the years and continues to occupy today? More than Imperial Japan ever had at the height of it's power I think.

Who were you protecting the Hawaiian people from when you annexed that country? How about the Phillipines that you 'liberated' from the Spanish and then took over as the occupiers. How about Vietnam? Were you protecting them from themselves because they were not responsible enough to choose they type of government you wanted?
The same goes for Korea who had set up a provisional government after WW2 that the US disbanded and promptly set up it's own puppet government.

I don't think the US wars were as straigt forward and humanitarian as you might believe. The Japanese people probably thought there was nothing wrong with what they were doing because it's probably difficult to see when your country is being the bad guy.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBaseThe Japanese were just trying to liberate the Asian countries that had fallen to western nations.

*blink*

They liberated nanking?

The 'Asia for Asians' policy was all about 'liberation' and of course security for their own nation. Right?

Thats like saying that the germans were just trying to make a germany for germans.

They should have allowed to liberate nations just like the US.

They didn't liberate them, they added them to their empire. Iraq is not a province of America. Neither are germany and japan today.

If what Japan did seems wrong,

Japan was 'wrong' (in so far as getting attacked by the US) because it attacked the US and becuase it was working against the interests of the US. 'Right and Wrong', on the scale of global politics, are pretty muddy. But the statement was that the US had bombed 'a lot' of countries, which is meaningless statement.

then it must also be wrong for the US when they bombed and occupied those same nations and many more.

And if it was? And if Japan was wrong for 'liberating' asians from self rule, and therefore the americans are wrong for liberating iraq from a dictatorship, then weren't the americans also wrong for stopping the japanese in the first place? But short of 'all war and violence is morally wrong and should not be done', why should america's actions be seen as 'excessive'?

[edit on 27-6-2005 by Nygdan]

[edit on 27-6-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
yeah, it was very similar to all the US "liberations"

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan Iraq is not a province of America. Neither are germany and japan today.

Hawaii is a State. Northern Mariana Islands, Guam and American Samoa are US territories. Many areas of the US once belonged to other nations (California, Texas etc..) so you really can't say the US doesn't have a history of imperialism.

Anyways, backs on topic.
Here's a list of US interventions since 1945:

List-of-U.S.-foreign-interventions-since-1945

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Hawaii, and the Philippines aren't relevant to this discussion as the topic is AFTER 1945 however if you had read my post, I said "not all us bombings were altruistic". I admit that many attacks we made DID have to do with our own interests, or keeping the USSR out of a country, but what resources did Kosovo have? Or Somalia? Or Grenada? We already had helped put Hussein into power in Iraq, so we could have just made a deal with him and let him keep Kuwait instead of going in and liberating it.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This a total pharm thread based on a "hate the USA" theme. Nothing good or productive can come from this thread. Maybe this thread should be moved to a debate or fight based forum? Or locked.

If it is not going to be moved or locked, I want to run these threads by you before I post them:

France: How many nations have they surrendered to? We have enough bandwidth to post them?

Arabs: Are they all terrorists?

China: What HAVENT they copied?

India: Whats that dot for anyways?

Get the point? Hate pharm thread, move it or close it up.

[edit on 27-6-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
how many? Who cares....

we've got bigger fish to fry right now...

like trying to figure out where Katie Holmes was for 16 days !!

Seriously, I don't care how many there have been and I hope its a lot more here in the future, after all there are several places on this earth that could use a good bombing....

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Oh, and just for the record, we didn't "bomb" Somalia, Grenada, Haiti or in the Koren Tree Cutting Incident. There were airstrikes READY for the Tree Cutting Incident, but they weren't used, I believe. Bombing occurs when aircraft drop explosive devices causing an explosion on the ground, damaging structures or killing people. The only aircraft involved in Somalia, Grenada, and Haiti were the helicopters to take the troops in. All the fighting in those countries was done on the ground. And before anyone can say "But we saw helicopters bombing Somlian civilians in Blackhawk Down!" That was "strafing". Strafing is when an aircraft flies towards the ground and uses a gun to shoot at objects or people on the ground. There is a big big difference between bombing and strafing, and the title of this thread is "Which and how many countries has the US BOMBED since the end of WWII?"

[edit on 27-6-2005 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Theres one thing that is strange why does the US attack other counteries when UN doesnt even back there problem up I mean the world established the UN after the WWII for any such wars that could come upon mankind again well it is the UN's job to send its troops to those places where the Americans and other potentail nations feel threatend. Not American troops invading other counteries just for the hell of it, That is form of Bullying.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
And another thing American Politics in my opinion has messed with about every country in the world, By means of attack/war or by political means such as banning that countries trade with any other country.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Interseptor
And another thing American Politics in my opinion has messed with about every country in the world, By means of attack/war or by political means such as banning that countries trade with any other country.

How many countries are there ... 191 or 193 according to your source ?

so show me how the U.S. has messed with MOST of them ?

you can't because we didn't.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
ANY time that one country on the Security Council has an interest in an area that another country doesn't it can veto any UN action. It takes ONE veto vote on the Security Council to stop action from occuring. That's the biggest reason that the UN has and will continue to fail.

For an example, look at the genocide in Africa. There was a mercinary unit in the region, that was keeping the situation under control and was keeping the peace, but the UN decided that they didn't like that because they couldn't control them, so passed a resolution requiring them to go back home to South Africa and leave the area, DESPITE the fact that they KNEW they were the only ones keeping things under control, they left, and within a few weeks the situation went to hell, because no one would send troops to replace the mercinaries.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

Originally posted by Interseptor

How many countries are there ... 191 or 193 according to your source ?

so show me how the U.S. has messed with MOST of them ?

you can't because we didn't.

O yes I can,

Ill start with Iraq, Iran, Libiya, Norh Korea, Cuba, it goes on and there are difernt types of trade banning such as weapons buyingm, and many many more counteries.

Where China, Pakistan, lots of midle eastrn counteries, North Korea it goes on I dont have the time to prove them thourghly with headlines and etc

[edit on 27-6-2005 by Interseptor]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58 , but what resources did Kosovo have? Or Somalia? Or Grenada? We already had helped put Hussein into power in Iraq, so we could have just made a deal with him and let him keep Kuwait instead of going in and liberating it.

Kosovo:
Strategic access to Caspian Oil?
Newsmax: Pipeline Politics
Billions worth of lead, zinc, cadmium, silver and gold? antiwar

Grenada:
Nutmeg?
reagan.utexas.edu
Plus it was in the US shpere of influence and they didn't want any commies over there.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
Kosovo:
Strategic access to Caspian Oil?
Newsmax: Pipeline Politics
Billions worth of lead, zinc, cadmium, silver and gold? antiwar

Grenada:
Nutmeg?
reagan.utexas.edu
Plus it was in the US shpere of influence and they didn't want any commies over there.

\

how about North Korea or Vietnam. in anicase it aint all about resources but about defending against the Communists it shows we aint always fighting over resources.

[edit on 27-6-2005 by deltaboy]

[edit on 27-6-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
so aceofbase... containing commies is not a good idea? Would you rather see Russia as a superpower right now?

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Hate pharm thread, move it or close it up.

I hope that brief moderator-roleplay-moment made your day Skippy.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Oh, and just for the record, we didn't "bomb" Somalia, Grenada, Haiti or in the Koren Tree Cutting Incident. There were airstrikes READY for the Tree Cutting Incident, but they weren't used, I believe. Bombing occurs when aircraft drop explosive devices causing an explosion on the ground, damaging structures or killing people.

By your definition, the US did bomb Somalia.

PBS
July 12 1993

Abdi house attack
In a major escalation, American Cobra helicopters attack a house in south Mogadishu where a group of clan leaders are meeting, destroying the building with TOW missiles and cannon fire and killing a number of Somalis. Four western journalists who had gone to investigate are beaten to death by an angry mob.

They also bombed Grenada:

dtic.mil

On 25 October, Navy A-7 Corsairs mistakenly bombed a mental
hospital near the Grenadian command post at Fort Frederick. Two
days later, an Air-Naval Gunfire Liaison Company (ANGLICO)
lacking Army communications-electronics operating instructions
(CEOI) failed to coordinate an attack on a sniper target near
Frequente with the fire support element of the 82d Airborne
Division. This time, the Corsairs attacked a brigade
headquarters of the 82d Airborne Division, wounding seventeen
soldiers, three seriously.12

Operation Paul Bunyan in Korea may not have involved bombing.
I'll check on the Haiti operations later.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join