It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Media hates America!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 04:23 PM
A new poll has come out showing that American newspapers have large anti-American bias. This is in step with the rest of the left-wing media in America. They hate reporting any good news about the US of A.

Only forty-two percent of those polled believed news organizations regularly “stand up for America,” compared to 51% just two years ago. Meanwhile, the percentage who believed the press was “too critical of America” rose from 33% in 2003 to 40% this year.

The Poll

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Boatphone
A new poll has come out showing that American newspapers have large anti-American bias.

No it didn't. How could a public opinion poll show what biases newspapers have? Polls show the public's biases.

And by the way, your poll says 80% of Americans have favorable opinions on newspapers (higher than any other source).

That means your angry emoticon anti-American newspaper rabble rousing puts you in the radical fringe minority against the grain of most Americans. Congrats on that.

What you linked to actually says 42% of Americans believe news organizations regularly "stand up for America."

I agree with them. The White House lap dog corporate media complex is way out of hand. Is it a journalists job to pick fist fights for America and defend it? And to whom exactly? An angry public? :shk:

It was a stupid misleading question to ask anyway. Bad pollster. Bad.

This is in step with the rest of the left-wing media in America. They hate reporting any good news about the US of A.

No. Your conclusions are in step with most of this administration's "intelligence." Misreading available data, manipulating it, then regurgitating garbage as misdirection.

[edit on 26-6-2005 by RANT]

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 04:54 PM

A new poll has come out showing that American newspapers have large anti-American bias.

What exactly would make them pro-American? Protesting in the streets? Acting in lock step with the administration? Never questioning what our government is doing?

I prefer a press that's a bit sceptical and looks past the surface to what lies underneath. Too bad we don't have reporters today willing to expose things like they did with Nixon. Today's press just goes along with whatever they get spoon fed. If there's an anti-American bias, it's being fed to them by the government to create disinformation (in this case, that the press is biased).

I consider myself to be a die-hard American, but I complain about the government all the time. It doesn't make me anti-American.

The report also included a length essay by Tom Rosenstiel, director of the Project for Excellence in Journalism and Bill Kovach, chairman of the Committee of Concerned Journalists. In their piece, the pair pointed out that the public’s diminishing trust in journalism is not to be cited as just a lack of credibility, but as an ongoing demand by readers and viewers for journalistic standards to be upheld.

“The public is not rejecting the principles underlying traditional journalism,” the essay states. “Rather, it suspects journalists are not living up to those principles.”

The change in public opinion is a reflection of the corporatization of the media.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 05:31 PM
So let me get this straight, anti-American bias = left-wing media? Everyone seems to have an opinion on who and what is anti-American these days. Apparently if you bring up a negative aspect of your own country you must hate it. Even if the truth puts your country in a negative light you must not speak of it because that's anti-American.

This anti-American rhetoric is getting old yet still people hang on to it out of pathetic desperation.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 05:35 PM
Friendly reminder.

For many who care,

Anti-corruption, anti-criminality in government = "anti-Bush" = pro-American.

Pro-Bush = anti-American.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 07:26 PM
Funny, I don't find any left-wing bias in the media...that's just propaganda to make you think conservative vs. liberal.

The media is pro-establishment. The government tells the media to jump, the media asks how high.

So yeah, the media does hate America in that sense--they won't tell you the truth about Bush and Company.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 09:52 PM
I don't remember the media being labeled left wing while they were fullll of the Clinton we have all new media now? I don't think so.

I do remember another time when the media was accused of being anti-American.......when they were showing the horrors of the war in Vietnam. Some people insisted that meant that the media was working for the communist take over of this country.....didn't happen, did it?

The truth hurts.....but criticism is not automatically anti anything....I criticize my children when they are wrong headed, that does not mean I am anti-them, but rather that I am desirous of their well being!

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 09:47 AM
I think people need to understand some basic differences here:

1) Anti-administration is not Anti-American.

An aweful lot of the mainstream media is completely locked in a self gratifying fantasy that they will be the saviors of a dying Liberal Democratic political party and bring down an "evil" Republican administration. I imagine many in the MSM get intoxicated at the thought of being the next Woodward and Bernstien. This however doesn't make them Anti-American, biased in favor of liberals yes, glory hounds certainly, but not really anti-American.

2) Anti-Americanism is real and is something that the Elitists in the MSM and "Hollywood" are and have been guilty of, though not as is often pointed out.

Labeling the majority of America as "dumb rednecks", referring to the heartland of America as "fly-over country", believing that only colleges in the Northeast and California are valuable learning institutions, those are Anti-American sentiments. That is not the sort of principles we were founded on, in fact we gained independence from a nation that considered most of us 'dumb rednecks".
Suggesting that US service men and women be tried on war crimes in foriegn courts because you don't like the war is anti-American. The same with suggesting that sort of thing for elected leaders rather than a referendum on their performance (also known as voting). If you can't get your candidate elected then you try again in 4 years, you don't suggest handing over our soveriegnty.
Media outlets that refuse to point out progress in any conflict not initially engaged in by a Democratic Administration, that is anti-American. Like it or not there are soldiers who are proud of things they've done in Iraq, there are some positive stories to report. It is anti-American to only focus on a negative image of our efforts there. You can't just call it bias because it is used as propoganda by our enemies.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 04:23 PM
I have been dubious about the nature of the american media since before home computers when I listened to world wide shortwave for a different slant on the news. One of the things that came out of this listening experience is the awareness of how much news and information did not come into America and how heavy a paper curtain was actually over us. Not meaning to say that you cannot get bad information or propaganda from the shortwave bands but you get to pick and choose what or how much you recieve and develope the tools to do so.

This was my first awareness of how slanted the media was and its attempts to shill for the body politic. Eventually this gelled down to the awareness that the media and the body politic were in bed together and I mean no matter what group are in power. What this means eventually is a feudal fiefdom...seperate from the public. The body politic and the media working against the public intrest for the intrests of the party system. This is often not in the public intrest but is capable of substituting the party intrest as if it were the public intrest. It is mostly shilling for votes or support. No matter who is in office.

Looking for truth...I too am often very insulted in the brazeness of the media in labeling ..and stereotyping when they often scold others for doing the same. They dont even hide it any more.
After the last national election some of the states through the media let it be known that they were upset by the results because they had the largest voting populations , more people with educated degrees, etc etc if this automatically qualified them to play through. This is a political default setting designed for this very play through on the moral high ground while everyone else stands pat. This is of the very principles the American system was designed to prevent. The olde European system that was rejected here. "Flyover country " is another one.
It is highly insulting to me the way the media often try to silently promote the concept that California and the North East represent all of this nation by default. Nothing else matters. In politics, money et al.
There is no other America in this feudal system.
This awareness alone has turned me against much of the media..liberal and conservative. They are both shills...and working within educational systems to promote another generation of unthinking , predictable ,highly emotional, controlable voting block for the purpose of keeping feudal authority over a unawares public.
I agree also with the implications made by others that being anti this or that party is not anti American. This simply because I have come to the understanding that the party system seems wont to support the party system ..not necessarily the will of the public. Hence Feudalism again.

Thanks to all for some intresting views,

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 04:39 PM
The media has always, IMO, been left-wing. This does not make it anti-american. But it is pretty obvious to anyone who pays attention that they are fairly left-wing, just look at their owners. With the exception of Fox, most (NBC, CNN, ABC, etc) are fairly left-wing.

Though they are leftwing, this does not make them anti-american.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 05:10 PM

Originally posted by Amethyst
Funny, I don't find any left-wing bias in the media...that's just propaganda to make you think conservative vs. liberal.

The media is pro-establishment. The government tells the media to jump, the media asks how high.

So yeah, the media does hate America in that sense--they won't tell you the truth about Bush and Company.

Just so Amethyst. And that is why this article didn't appear anywhere in the American mainstream media Incinerating Iraqis: the Napalm Coverup

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 05:13 PM
Sounds like an issue of Controlled Media. At least a frustrated Media.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 08:07 PM
Frustrated media..yes I would agree..

I think however that the so called left media is very frustrated by the fact that they are sort of stuck in their out of date rhetoric. They are frustrated that we are having a aging public who is not quite responding to the same olde "victimization " rhetoric which for many y ears was their standard bailywick. The Right .. h owever ..seems to be watching this closely to enhance thier positions for thier reasons.
I dont particulary trust either of them. As some have tried to state in here ...they will both work the public to thier benifit and turn on the public when necessary.
What intrests me is the power ..of boards like this one in molding public opinion. It seems to be a avenue of communication of which neither side is quite sure of but it seems to have a effect. I hope it can be one outside of what passes for mainstream and does not ever fall under the influence of the standard default settings. Any opinions on this from people more informed than myself..would be very intrested in hearing them.

Gotta shove off for now...thanks for the opinions,

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 08:15 PM
Humm...I guess we need to call the media and let them know that they are making some Americans very angry with their bias polls.

That out to do it.

What it hurst more, what the majority thinks or the fact that the minority can not change the way the majority feels.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 07:38 AM
I dont really think the media cares so much what the public thinks as long as they can harness public opinion to the benifit of their poll results.
What I really think the media and politics dont like is people who can think and much worse..operate outside of their influence. People who are independent thinkers and operators ..who dont think in the standard educational or political settings defaults.
What I suspect is that these people are rare...and even a handful of them is to many. Especially those who can communicate these ideas and actions outside the system. I also suspect that this is one of the dangers of a board like this one. These independents matter how few congegrate here and can open up avenues to communicate. This makes me curious about the more controlled sections of this board.
What is recorded that the right minority the right place and time can change things. It has happened a few times in history ..but it is mostly overlooked in our "school lessons". And you are correct is hurtful.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 08:09 AM
42% of Americans believe news organizations regularly stand up for America.

Is that what you think they should be doing?

Nationalism is a disease. Most have no problem recognizing that when it's the other guy. Is Al Jazerra a "good" news source or laughable nationalistic theocentric propaganda? Now where does that put Fox? You people are really beyond the pale.

Explain to me the part of good objective journalism that entails "regularly standing up for America."

Sometimes I wonder if this is a conspiracy site or BlindRepublic.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 03:57 PM
Standing up for America mean not spreading lies about the President and the war in Iraq.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:48 PM

Originally posted by Boatphone
Standing up for America mean not spreading lies about the President and the war in Iraq.

I think your keyboard has a stuck key...
I think you meant to say
"Standing up for America means the president not spreading lies about the war in Iraq"

just saw that typo and thought i would help out...
cheers mate!

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 05:41 PM
I think the real point is that the media doesn't hate America, it hates Americans. Elitists on the left AND right are in a battle to see who can alienate the most people the fastest.

RANT, I did a search of your posts on ATS over the last 3 months. I think it's clear where you feel the media is at. I base that on the following thread you started:
Don't be so hard on the cable news guy's, they face alot of tuff competition from Desperate House Wives and [insert mind numbing sitcom name here]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 06:59 PM
I dont believe the news media regularly stands up for America. I think they stand up for what increases thier ratings and allows them to shill for their respective political parties and views. All of them. In this formula the truth of a issue or event is often lost.
I for one am not intrested at all in this girl lost in Aruba. I feel bad for her family..but I dont think it is nationwide news or deserves the coverage it is getting. In my biased opinion ..there is something else operating here besides the fact that she is missing. In this point I am very dissappointed in all the networks for covering this item and quickly change the station when it comes up. It is more like a deliberate lack of news to me.

Looking4truths post is pretty much correct. I am not at all intrested in Fear Factor, The Apprentice, American Idol or whatever other drivel is supposed to instill meaningfullness into our traumatic overburdened lives. The media..all of the networks, have to compete with!! No wonder it is so confetti confused. No wonder it appears like tabloid journalism. We should be proud to be imitating the Europeans in our journalilstic attempts. Yup..the upward reach of mankind.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>