It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: U.N. building renovation nixed by New York Legislature

page: 1

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 04:13 PM
The 38 story Secretariat building that has been the United Nations headquarters is in desperate need of renovations, and the U.N. expects the state of New York and the Federal government to foot the bill. Despite heavy lobbying efforts by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and the Bush administration the proposed funding failed to be endorsed by New York Legislature in Albany.
So when plans for expansion and renovation for the headquarters came up recently, there was opposition from state politicians.

Before renovations can start, the UN intends to build a 35-storey block next door, part of which would encroach on the Robert Moses Park, a small neighbourhood park.

The new building would allow for temporary relocation of offices while work is done on the main building.

Last week, besides protests from residents, state senators blocked a bill that would have permitted the UN to start planning for the project.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The United Nations is feeling the backlash of the Oil For Food Scandal, and to some degree, the perceived anti-American sentiment that seems to emanate from General Assembly. There is no reason for the state of New York, or the Federal government to continue to bankroll an organization that is capable of generating so much "revenue" on it's own, regardless of how nefarious the means by which that money has been gained. It's time for a house cleaning, and not just asbestos in the Secretariat... If there is a place for a world body organization, it must be free of the corruption and graft that currently pervades the officials and staff of the United Nations.

Related News Links:

Related Discussion Threads:
POLITICS: U.N. Oil For Food Scandal Grows. Possibly the Largest in Human History.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 05:24 PM
Thank God!

As a New York State taxpayer I'd be sickened if my state tax dollars went to refurbishing a building for this corrupt, anti-American organization.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 08:32 PM
Don't thank God, thank your elected state legislature. Finally someone has had the wherewithal to stand up to the international bloodsucking that is the U.N. The fact that any state or federal money goes to this organization borders on the criminal... I'll bet if all the unpaid parking and traffic violations attributed to U.N. staff would provide the city of New York with operating capital for a year.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 11:06 PM
I'm surprised the UN doesn't just move their headquarters to the building in Geneva Switzerland.

It obvious that there's a lot of animosity towards the UN in the US so it might be better to relocate to Europe where they are veiwed more favorably.

It could be beneficial to the Swiss economy too.

There's over 4,00 employees at the New York building and I'm sure they add a lot to the NY economy.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 06:08 AM
How is it anti-American? Is it anti-nuclear as well? If UN criticism and not bending to one countries demands equates to being "anti" I think you need to revaluate your take on "democracy".

Is it anti-Yugoslavian? Is it anti-Indonesian? After all UN peacekeepers have been against these countries in recent times.

I dont think New York taxpayers should have to pay for the UN buildings renovation but I dont accept that the UN is anti-American.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 09:57 AM
4,000 jobs (I think it's actually more than 4,000, more like 6,000) jobs can never be taken lightly in regards to it's economic impact on a metropolitan area. There is little doubt that moving or curtailing the U. N’s presence in New York would be a significant impact to the local economy, but so would shelling out 1.2 billion dollars U.S. to provide them with new infrastructure.

The elected representation of the state of New York doesn't think it's worth it.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 10:12 AM
Be responsible. Calculate how many of the 4,000-6,000 jobs are held by people who live in NY and/or put money back into the NY economy. Then calculate that number with their salaries and see how long it takes to arrive at over a billion dollars that NY is just supposed to give them.

Perhaps if the UN diplomats paid their 30-40 million dollars in unpaid parking tickets ...

The fact that their plan steals a park doesn't help matters any. I understand a lot of you are from rural areas. In NYC parks, trees, grass, etc are rare and appreciated. So that probably did not help the popularity of their request either.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 10:20 AM
it's not just the 1.2 billion, it's the nearly 25% of the U.N. operating fund that is footed by the American taxpayer... Perhaps a more "Spartan" location would be conducive to a frugal approach. I hear land is cheap in Iraq and the Sudan right now... Maybe those pressing issues would receive more attention if they were close at hand.

What the U.N. costs America:

Penny Pinching Monkeys, not just for wanting their money back anymore...

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 10:23 AM
Excuse my ignorance on this topic but why was the UN placed in the States to begin with?

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 10:26 AM
Actually the first meeting of the general assembly was in London in 1946 I think.

Not really sure why other than the US govenrment at the time did bankrole a big chunk of it. Sure is an ugly building.

Edit Part II: Dug This Up

It was decided to locate the UN headquarters in the E United States. In Dec., 1946, the General Assembly accepted the $8.5 million gift of John D. Rockefeller, Jr., to buy a tract of land along the East River, New York City, for its headquarters. The principal buildings there, the Secretariat, the General Assembly, and the Conference Building, were completed in 1952. The Dag Hammarskjöld Memorial Library was dedicated in 1961.

[edit on 6/27/05 by FredT]

[edit on 6/27/05 by FredT]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Intrepid
Excuse my ignorance on this topic but why was the UN placed in the States to begin with?

Its easier to monitor and controll the will of the world via the UN when its in your own backyard. A gift from Rockerfeller? Great first step for impartiality and the first back hander?

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 06:18 PM
About dang time. However it would be even better if the UN get money from elsewhere (not American taxpayers' expenses) to pay back all those long overdue dues for various parking and traffic violations going back to 1970s!

Interpid: John D. Rockefeller Jr., on the behalf of the Rockefeller Foundation, gave $8.5 million to the UN to buy a tract of land in NYC that his father bought and owned. The senior Rockefeller owned several properties in NYC, some are still owned to this day to the Rockefeller Group Development Corp.

new topics

top topics