It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My intresting project.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This doesnt really fall directley into the "Ancient & lost civilizations" section but it does basically include at least 500 years worth of history that i know of.

I work as the project organizer for this company and we are involved with many projects in the Gulf of Guinea, what makes this area so unique is the fact that it is the oldest volcanic chain of islands in world history, thus giving a much longer period for plant life establishment as well as other species.

please have a look, i hope youll find it of interest?

www.corlettmaritima.com

so little is actually known about the islands in this part of our planet that we have already made some unique and interesting finds, these will be announced shortly.

some of the islands have never been officially documented, the main one being Pagalu, it doesnt even have a fixed position on the admiralty charts.

Regards.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 04:25 AM
link   
come on guys???....a little feedback would be nice?

PLEASE!!!

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 05:08 AM
link   
It sounds fascinating. I dont have time to read the site right now.
If you dont mind i'd just want to ask a few quick questions:
1: Have any new species been found?

2: What effect have humans had on the ecosystem through the introductions of rats etc?

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
hey fett how did that ghost hunting thing that you were planning go?

sorry its a little off topic

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Texthey fett how did that ghost hunting thing that you were planning go?

LMFAO!!...dude?...i have no idea what your talking about?

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
lol sombody else then
sorry

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 03:43 AM
link   

: Have any new species been found?

ok....well at present yes and no in the same sentence....were confident that a sighting from scientists of a bird thats supposed to have been extinct for 70 odd years has been photographed and is authentic...more on that soon.

theres also been discoveries of more ferns that are endemic to sao tome and principe.

One of our main fields of research is the documenting of the endemic species.

What effect have humans had on the ecosystem through the introductions of rats etc?

Again, this is another main area of study, fortunatley for us, many of the smaller islands around sao tome and Principe have never been inhabitted, so they should give us a 'test bed' if you like, to establish what differences have arisen between the islands that are in-habbited by humans and those that are not.

Thanks for your questions, the site is now going to be updated regularly by our team as things come to light, making for what we believe to be the first ever in depth on line study of the Gulf of Guniea.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Excellent. Thanks alot and good luck with the whole thing!

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Hello o-fett. What's the current status of your various projects? As in, what stages are you currently in? And what kind of budgets do you have to work with, roughly?

Sean

posted on Jul, 4 2005 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Sweet, your a lucky guy Opty.

I'm curious to see what will come from this.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Hello o-fett. What's the current status of your various projects? As in, what stages are you currently in? And what kind of budgets do you have to work with, roughly?

hi mate....current status......its different for the different projects under way, for example , we have 3 students from salford university in Manchester, UK coming out in about 3 weeks, they will be doing a base line study for the university regarding the island, i will be filming the island from the air via para motor, so we can get a different perspective on the place, were also in the process of testing a new mosquito repellent for a small company.....and giving them some feedback.

the pace is about to hot up in a month or so with some diving taking place on some of the wrecks weve found.....(pics to follow shortly)

i will keep you informed,

Regards guys.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
São Tomé e Príncipe is a forgotten country, maybe because they are not in an important geostrategic position.

Here in Portugal the importance given to São Tomé e Príncipe it’s the same as in the rest of the world, when instead we could use our knowledge of the country to help its people to get better conditions.

Again, maybe the fact that they were not a big threat when the independence movements began in the 60s made Portugal look to the others and forget about São Tomé e Príncipe.

I hope that if the conditions are good enough they can make São Tomé e Príncipe a kind of nature reservation.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I think for the Portuguese it is more likley that they wish to forget one of the worst massacres committed on their soil.......

In 1905 the international community imposed a boycott because of the conditions of virtual slavery that existed on the islands, and the cocoa trade consequently declined. Throughout the 20th century, Portugal continued to crush dissent and revolts fiercely. The worst example was the notorious 1953 massacre, when over 1000 forros (the descendants of freed slaves) who refused to work on the plantations were shot by Portuguese troops.

there is also an ongoing dispute for compensation from the portuguese with the capo verde islands, workers from the islands were brought to sao tome and Principe in the 1920's and Portuguese goverment promised to return them to their homes.....this has still not happened and the Capo Verde goverment continues to fight for money to compensate the decendents of these familys.

Conditions in Sao Tome are gradually getting better, it would be fantastic to think this island could be turned into a nature reserve and this is happening, especially with the work being carried out by the WWF (world wide fund for Nature) to protect the giant turtles that breed there, educating local fisherman in understanding that if they continue to overfish them they will one day vanish.

With a population of 175,000 + , only looking at protecting the wildlife there and the many endemic species is sadly not an option, the islands need help reducing their world debt, and this can only be achieved by re-opening trade routes between the islands and west Africa, with cocnuts and fesh fruits the main products to export.

Its also noteworthy that products supplied to Sao Tome via portugal are exceptionally expensive and Portugal has done little to assist these islands development since their independence from the mother land, however this is not suprising considering the sad state of affairs in Portugal at present with constant increases in VAT (value added tax)....presentley running at 21% and huge EU debts mounting, combined with an overall price increase in general, drops in tourism and forest fires which continue to devestate regions like the Alentajo and the Algarve.....it is not suprising.

Hopefully in the future Portugal will be in a financial position to play a bigger part in the islands of Sao Tomé and Principe....for they are its long lost children.

Regards.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
What happened before the revolution of 1974 was very litle known by the population, we lived in a dictatorship, and one of the most efficient.

Portugal is still living with some of the mentality of that time before 1974, when the state started to employ lots of people, so they could to the propaganda for them, and in many cases, spy for them.

The dictatorship ended but many people still think that the state should do eveything and do not risk starting a new business, etc.. Also, the politicians from that time, the ones that knew what was like to fight against a fascist regime, are almost all retired or dead, and some of the new politians are sons of families that did not knew the real problems in that time.

Portugal today is much better than it was some 30 years ago, when it was normal to see a horse or a donkey pulling a wagon in the capital. The war against the independence movements in Africa wasted many lives and many of our resources, so we are only geting near the other European countries in the last years, but some bad decisions from the polititians can destroy that in little time.

We can only hope that our choices of polititians are the good ones, but only time will tell.

PS: Its Cabo Verde, not Capo Verde.

top topics

join