It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What BAE VTOL UAV????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Just seen this report from Paris on the Flug Revue site. To what UAV is it referring, anyone know?

BAE Systems has achieved fully autonomous flight of its second-generation ducted-fan unmanned aerial vehicle. The vertical takeoff-and-landing (VTOL) aircraft took off and landed automatically in two flight tests, each time completing a course of 10 waypoints at Southern California's Hansen Field. The autonomous tests followed more than 100 flights conducted with assisted takeoff and landing over the past several months. BAE Systems has developed a family of ducted-fan UAVs in which mission requirements for payload weight, altitude, and endurance will determine the size of the platform. The ducted-fan design shrouds the fan, making it ideally suited for company- and platoon-level operations in which takeoffs and landings occur in close proximity to troops.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Maybe the X-50, its a canard rotor wing craft. And if I remember correctly there testing it at the China Lake Naval Air Center in California. Oh just remembered I think Boeing makes that craft.

[edit on 26-6-2005 by blue cell]

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I take it you got it from here right?

link< br />
It says they have developed a family of ducted fan UAV's not just a single one, interesting read with little details....

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Okay I was wrong, their testing it in Arizona, but it is being made by Boeing CRW craft

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Ah yes Blue Cell, I have seen that one but this BAE thing is a total mystery to me.

sardion2000, I didn't get from there, but it is close to identical.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
link to pic

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Yes, that looks like it could be it. I was thinking in terms of a small observation type UAV and that looks right

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
thats the first thing I thought of, when they said "family". ISTAR

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Waynos

I think this has something to do with the JSF. Testing the VTOL technology

I remember seeing something about this on a thread about the US not giving the UK access codes for software

Spacemunkey

Just to add I think it has something to do with automated landing system for the JSF on a carrier?? (may be getting my wires crossed somewhere....information overload!)

[edit on 27-6-2005 by spacemunkey]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I think you may be confusing two programmes as QinetiQ has just acheived automated carrier landings with a Harrier test bed for the F-35 programme but this appears to be a recce drone for the army.

top topics

join