It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Soldiers Fire Into Baghdad Crowd

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 06:10 AM
link   
U.S. Soldiers Fire Into Baghdad Crowd

By TAREK AL-ISSAWI, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - U.S. soldiers shot into a crowd of thousands of demonstrators in a Baghdad slum on Wednesday, killing one civilian and wounding four after a rocket-propelled grenade was fired at them, the military said. North of Baghdad, guerrillas killed two American troops.

In Sadr City, a Shiite Muslim slum, about 3,000 demonstrators gathered around a telecommunications tower where they said American forces in a helicopter tried to tear down an Islamic banner. U.S. military spokesman Sgt. Danny Martin said it was apparently blown down by rotor wash from a helicopter.

However, amateur video footage obtained by Associated Press Television News showed a Black Hawk helicopter hovering a few feet from the top of the tower and apparently trying to tear down the banner. Later, U.S. Humvees drove by and the crowd threw stones at them. Heavy gunfire could be heard and demonstrators were seen diving to the ground.

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20030813/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_1556

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 06:24 AM
link   
iraq= potential new vietnam?

the yanks are skating on thin ice at the mo

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Well maybe the the Iraqi crowd were provoking the US soldiers, by saying" Get out" and the yanks couldnt control themselves.

I dunno.

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Here's a tip on not getting shot at:

Don't be part of a mob throwing stones, shooting bullets and rockets at US troops!!!

Funny, no mention of what the banner actually said....

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Maybe the fear set in the troops and they lost their cool. Thousands of people protesting and coming towards you is a scary sight and the troops feared for their lives.

[Edited on 14-8-2003 by infinite]

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Funny thing is they have no business being there in the first place.

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 08:27 AM
link   
i trust you mean the americans... if so, then i agree

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The oddest thing is that from a military operational point of view, these shootings make no sense. Even if there was a sniper somewhere, he could still shoot US troops in the chaos ensueing the civilian executions. So the only purpose of these numerous civilian shootings for the US military seems to be to show off among Iraqis.

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 09:22 AM
link   
coming under fire from rocks and gunfire did you miss???

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 11:56 AM
link   
asia.reuters.com...

U.S. Apologizes for Sparking Baghdad Protest
Thu August 14, 2003 11:21 AM ET

the best quote: " If the soldiers care first of all about their own welfare, and secondly about the welfare of Iraq, they must leave Sadr City.""

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Mok, were you there being shot at? No, so you actuallt have no clue as to what was going on. If theres an angry mob and an rpg comes flying out of it toward me, i'm going to let the crowd have it. Isn't that just common sense?

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Goregrinder: "Mok, were you there being shot at? No, so you actuallt have no clue as to what was going on. If theres an angry mob and an rpg comes flying out of it toward me, i'm going to let the crowd have it. Isn't that just common sense?"

Um, were YOU there? Do you know for a fact that a rocket propelled grenade was fired at US soldiers?

And what it looks like you're saying is "If there's an angry mob and someone fires at us, I am going to LET THE CROWD HAVE IT". So just mow down the whole crowd because you are attacked. That's not common sense, that's mass murder.

What you seem to forget is that it's their damn country, and the U.S. is OCCUPYING it militarily. Take your "we know better" attitude somewhere where people actually believe the U.S. has ANYONE'S best interests in mind.

Jakomo

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Was the whole crowd mowed down? you really put the A$$ in assumption. I'm sure the American's were shotting them for sport, you ignorant dolt

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Ahhh yes.......lets see here: "US soldiers shot into a crowd of thousands of demonstrators in a Baghdad slum on Wednesday, killing one civilian and wounding four after a rocket-propelled grenade was fired at them..........."

I don't understand how people can skew this as they do....I really don't. Just what the hell were those troops supposed to do anyhow? If your not in the "heat of things," how and what the hell gives you the right to sit behind your computer screens and "judge" a situation as some of you do? Inhuman? More "outright" killing by American occupying troops? Get real...I call it self-defense. You can obviously call it what you want but it amounts to nothing related to your caring for those people.....it is only your way of furthering your own anti-american rhetoric and spewage....as usual!

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 15-8-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 12:16 PM
link   
......don't RPG's have a back-blast?,if it were fired from within the crowd,there would have been people in the crowd injured,possibly killed by the back-blast,hmmmm wonder what really happened????????.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 12:20 PM
link   
That would be kinda like wondering why one has a bowel movement wouldn't it unbalanced?
We can only go by what the media reports present....
I can tell you this...I may not agree with the many of the "agendas" of the US and its current presidential situation but I will stand by our troops...bet on it!

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The troops have no idea why they are really there,that is not their fault,although ignorance is a choice.

Most of those dudes are there because they want to get themselves college educated,or they couldn't get a good job on the street and figured the military would work until the economy recovered.

I went to the military because there were no good jobs out there way back in '81',it is worse right now than it was then.

I have a sneaking feeling that it will be a long time before the US recovers,if ever.

If it does it may be an entirely different animal,hope not.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Here's a suggestion:

Get out of Iraq and take care of your own countries' problems, which are many.

You know the one certain way to make sure that these troops aren't fired on? IF THEY'RE NOT THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

The U.S. was the main force behind pushing the invasion. You made your bed, now lie in it.

And pardon me if I feel sorrier for Iraqi civilians killed than I do for U.S. troops killed. I know I'm a Westerner and I should have a unreasoning hatred for all things Muslim, but I'm also a civilian.

If the U.S. hadn't invaded based on a pack of lies, NONE OF THIS WOULD BE HAPPENING. So tell me who is to blame 100% for the deaths on BOTH SIDES.

Go on, tell me. I'm listening. And don't say Saddam because he wasn't any clear and present danger to the U.S., that's been verified.

Jakomo

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Not me,not you,this is all a result of politicians fighting with each other for their own gain,we just have to pay the price,they are not accountable.

The power to do what has been done is the power of those who support it,a tax revolt would fix everything right up,but no one seems to be doing anything but distracting themselves with bull$hit media,watching the game,drinking beer to anesthetise themselves and trying to convince themselves that everything is ok when it isn't.

Bring back the 13th amendment of the constitution,it would all be over.

posted on Aug, 15 2003 @ 12:50 PM
link   
You see Jakomo....the problem here is that you don't actually give a crap about the Iraqi citizens....you only give a crap about anything that is related to anti-american motives and agendas.......fess up...tell the truth.

Speaking of truth....the US did invade and is currently occupying Iraq. Surface motives are known, underline motives are not, to many.

Your whole post deflects from the topic. You spew your anti-american rhetoric of the situation then seek to divert attention to the "bigger picture".....the US invasion of Iraq and how it wasn't or was justified. It would do you well to stay on "topic" and voice your "overview" of the current Iraqi affair in another thread promoting that total overview.

Lies or not......the current situation is one that Saddam is no longer in power, civilians and soldiers are being killed daily and etc., etc., and you continue to spew your anti-american rhetoric irregardless of you claiming your care for the civilians of Iraq. We all care for them, as we care for our troops......hindsight is 20/20 in regards to Iraq. The damage is done. "We made our bed" and thus we sleep in it.....shows your care for those civilians don't it?! Your agenda is as others.....you use anything and everything as a platform to further spew your anti-american rhetoric....tell it like it is...."Go on, tell me. I'm listening."

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 15-8-2003 by Seekerof]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join