It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: UK Government Proposes Sale Of Personal Data

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Since it's initial concept, the cost of the proposed UK National ID card has continued to grow. The latest cost estimate being touted is approximately £200 each, although the final figure may be higher. To offset this cost ministers have opened talks with private companies about the sale of personal data to help pay for the scheme.

news.independent.co.uk
Personal details of all 44 million adults living in Britain could be sold to private companies as part of government attempts to arrest spiralling costs for the new national identity card scheme, set to get the go-ahead this week.

The Independent on Sunday can today reveal that ministers have opened talks with private firms to pass on personal details of UK citizens for an initial cost of £750 each.

Amid warnings today that the cost of a card for each adult in Britain is likely to double to £200, union leaders predicted that millions of public-sector workers could refuse to co-operate with the scheme, prompting claims that the ID scheme will become Labour's equivalent of the poll tax.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have followed this topic, on and off, for quite some time now and each time it is raised for discussion and reported on the news the cost has risen another 50%. Maybe it's my cynical outlook on anything the government proposes but this is starting to look like just another money making scheme to swell government coffers and further enrich one of their favoured IT contractors.

I am personally against such a scheme anyway but the thought of my personal details being sold to a third party makes my blood boil. It can already be argued that the national security aspects of the ID card system are questionable and with the current spate of "hacking" of peoples details from government and bank databases, my concern doubles.

I am not sure about the legality of this either so will have to read up on the Data Protection Act.

So, money making scheme / stealth tax or national security?

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
That's outrageous! The Government selling your private information for profit? Even considering something like that, negates the whole concept of an elected government to serve the people.

What's even crazier is a country's government can't find the funds to pay for an ID card but a business can afford to pay almost four times the cost just for a look at your records? That has to be a typo? or our personal info must have a FAR greater value on the open market than I ever realized.

Please let us know what you find out about the Data Protection Act.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Phew!!!
The data protection act, like most others, is heavy going but decipherable.
Like any other act though, I'm sure ministers would be able to tweak parts or interpret things in a different way in order to make it fit their plans.

Here's a link for anyone in need of a bit of light reading or who has run out of Nytol.
www.opsi.gov.uk...

As individuals and "data subjects" we already have a right to enquire what data is held by various agencies, as long as we pay for the priveledge. I just wonder what rights we'll have to inspect data held on us by the government, in order for us to assess it's accuracy. As I understand things, any request for information held by a data controller must be communicated to the data subject and permission given by that subject, although I'm sure this is bypassed all the time.

If what has been reported is accurate then we are guaranteed absolutely zero confidentiality.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I suppose the only glimmer of good news here is that we know they are planning on selling the information.
In the US, some states Dept of Morot Vehicles (DMV) or Secretaries of State have been selling some info already. Perhpas only a name and address mailing list, but selling our information neverless.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I like how they article says its "set to get the go-ahead this week". Says who? The last time the issue of ID cards came into parliament, just before the election, it was flatly rejected. Does the Independant have a crystal ball and know something we dont? Ive a feeling that if Labours parliamentary majority slipped by 66 since the last vote on ID cards they have no hope of getting them authourized!

Good thing as well, these cards have zero affect on terrorist prevention unless ID cards are coupled with checkpoints and crack downs on civilian movement. Should we have our movements hampered and pay through the nose for the privelege? I dont think so Blair.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   

bbcThe Home Office has denied a report the personal details of millions of Britons could be sold to help pay for the introduction of identity cards.
The Independent on Sunday newspaper reported card-holders' details could be sold to private companies for an initial cost of £750 each.

Immigration Minister Tony McNulty said banks would be able to verify card details against a database - for a fee.

But he said any claim the information would be sold was "without foundation".

looks like they just denied this thing

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Ouch! I really hope our buddies in UK should really do something about it or the government will keep doing same thing later in the future for more profit!

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
This wont happen its to costly, its same as the box in the car that is tracked by satellite, total rubbish spewed out by a Government who has tried to copy Americas Patriot act. Britain is wise to Blair , the man with more faces than on the Rocky Mountains.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
A similar situation is occurring here in the USA, although I'm not sure how much the Homeland Security Department is paying these newly recruited retail executives for their welcomed consumer data, or what fee interested third parties will have to pay to access it. As always, caveat emptor.

Retailers are among the industry groups being invited to join a recent incarnation of the federal Homeland Security Information Network (HSIN) specifically intended for critical infrastructure owners and operators and designed to help share unclassified information to guard against terrorist attacks.

The network sends real-time information to its members, according to the retail federation release. Participants also may use the system “to discuss day-to-day security issues” and “to share information on suspicious activities with federal authorities.”

Retailers Join Department of Homeland Security's Information Network

top topics

join