It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tom Cruise and Matt Lauer Interview

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
What is up with Tom Cruise ? One minute he is beamming over his new young girl, bounding off of couches all over talk shows. Acting like he is on adderal or ritalin.

Then he is downing Brook Sheilds for having post partum depression and reaching out telling other mothers that it is okay you are not the only one. That she got help and every thing is the way it should be. He Actually said that there is no such thing as a chemical imbalance in the brain.

Where is his PHD??? show me the PHD!!!!!

I have studied this because, I have had to take medication and therapy for years. The worst thing for a person to face up to is that you cannot control everything that goes on in your body. And yes the mind is a great thing, very misunderstood but great none the less.

And that taking medication for mental illness is in no way shameful. It is showing that you can take charge of you lot in life and do something about it. That takes guts.

Just wanted to say that he sounded like an idiot.

[edit on 6/26/2005 by Rhiannon1968]

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Cool, just the wrong forum. No problem.

Moved.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Thanks Intrepid

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 03:37 AM
link   
You are 100% correct.

This man has no credibility on the subject. He is not a certified psychiatrist, in fact he did not even graduate high school.

Now, I'm not taking anything away from him. He's done quite well for himself in the acting field, but just because you're wealthy and can act does not make you an expert in every other field as well.

This is all too common in celebrities. The public makes them into gods and they respond by acting like they know more than everyone because of that. We see plenty of this in politics, and now apparently in medicine too. It's not Cruise's fault, it's ours.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Just whom does Matt Lauer think he is? Rosie O'Donnell? Talk about shades of Rosie O ambushing Tom S over his NRA ad. Show some ethics Lauer! Have a guest on to talk about his latest project and then you throw him a curve ball? Zup wit dat? Well, what do you expect from a media whore/pretty boy, who is little more than mere window dressing for those who pay the bills - the Commercial Lords and their Masters -- the Pill-Pushers. Lauer's lucky Tom isn't Steven Segal or someone with a real temper, like Russell Crowe. Seriously though.... Love ya, Matt!

[edit on 26-6-2005 by smadewell]

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I don't get into the whole Scientology kick that Cruise is on, but ... I don't see he did anything worse than what Shields did.

Celebs need to learn to shut their freaking pie hole, IMO. Still, what's so wrong with Tom saying there's something better than popping pills -- like avoiding stress and eating right and exercising and having a good mental outlook. Isn't that what the AMA has been telling us for years?

So, why is this bad? Because Tom lacks a lamb-skin on the wall and because he used his celeb status to tell people to get educated before taking the low road (i.e., taking pills and seeing a shrink, etc.). In short, Tom cut into the profit margin. Tisk-tisk!!!

Tom, stop thinking with your other head and chill on the attempt at damage control.

[edit on 26-6-2005 by smadewell]

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Okay, so Tom's appealing to a higher ideal. Still.... He needs to STOP answering questions about other celebs. Tom, keep your opinions to yourself or share 'em at private parties. Don't give the media whores and sharks anything more to frenzy over.

Likewise with Shields.... She's preaching, "Any port in a storm." That's an age old axiom, no? Still, she too needs to realize that the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. GREAT! She didn't kill her kid. Bravo! Don't write a book about it though! Why? Because you just know it's going to move Suzanne Somers to come out of the woodwork again! Bad Brooke! Very bad!

So, let me get this straight? Shields can be on Oprah, but she doesn't watch Oprah enough to know anything about post-partum depression or support groups? What planet is she living on? Answer? Planet Brooke; her own little world. DUH!

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   

he used his celeb status to tell people to get educated before taking the low road (i.e., taking pills and seeing a shrink, etc.).

Smadewell

He is the one who needs to educate himself. First off a anti deppressant is not a antipsycotic drug. He is the misinformed one. You have no idea what you are talking about. The mental health community tries to take the stigma out of it and people like you and Tom...keep pushing it back into a arcane methodology. First of all who the H#$L is he to judge someone on the merits that they got the proper help.

I believe Tom said "that she didn't kill her kid , Bravo" ? What kind of crap is that? When you are gripped with mental illness and have been through hell and high water, then you can talk. You sound as about intelligent as Tom does Check out the interview. You can find it here. www.juiceenewsdaily.com...

I am a mental health consumer and advocate. Let me ask you this , if someone in your family was out of control and you couldn't help them, no matter how hard you tried. They were paraniod, couldn't get up out of bed, having suicidal and or homicidal thoughts.....are you telling me that you would not seek some kind of professional help?

And what is with knocking Brook Shields for letting other Mom's know that there is a reason this is happening to them. That you DO NOT have to feel this way. See this is where it gets really stupid. Go look at an MRI of a "normal person" in comparison to a "depressed" person. They do not look the same at all. And the more people down others for seeking help the longer STIGMA of mental health will live on.

:bash:

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhiannon1968

he used his celeb status to tell people to get educated before taking the low road (i.e., taking pills and seeing a shrink, etc.).

Smadewell

He is the one who needs to educate himself. First off a anti deppressant is not a antipsycotic drug. He is the misinformed one. You have no idea what you are talking about. The mental health community tries to take the stigma out of it and people like you and Tom...keep pushing it back into a arcane methodology. First of all who the H#$L is he to judge someone on the merits that they got the proper help.

I believe Tom said "that she didn't kill her kid , Bravo" ? What kind of crap is that? When you are gripped with mental illness and have been through hell and high water, then you can talk. You sound as about intelligent as Tom does Check out the interview. You can find it here. www.juiceenewsdaily.com...

I am a mental health consumer and advocate. Let me ask you this , if someone in your family was out of control and you couldn't help them, no matter how hard you tried. They were paraniod, couldn't get up out of bed, having suicidal and or homicidal thoughts.....are you telling me that you would not seek some kind of professional help?

And what is with knocking Brook Shields for letting other Mom's know that there is a reason this is happening to them. That you DO NOT have to feel this way. See this is where it gets really stupid. Go look at an MRI of a "normal person" in comparison to a "depressed" person. They do not look the same at all. And the more people down others for seeking help the longer STIGMA of mental health will live on.

:bash:

Woe there! Cool your jets, my dear. *I* didn't say jack about *my* opinions on drugs and seeking help from a shrink or going to support groups. All I said was that Tommy-boy viewed these as the "low road" and that *HE* - not *I* - was advocating the old AMA line of good diet, exercise, positive mental outlook and reducing stress in favor of going down what *HE* obviously considers the "slipper slope" of anti-depressants, etc.

Even Marie Osmond got on the show the next day and said for *HER* post-partum she used anti-depressants as a short term thingy and acknowledged the dangers of *SOME* people using them 24/7 and doctors dishing them out like candy, etc. That's not necessarily *MY* opinion....

Anyway, ... don't go bashing me in the head with a hammer or lump me in with Tom and his ilk, okay? My comment was that Tom got ambushed because ... well ... let's face it ... he's a Scientoligst Nutter ... and because he used his celeb status to cut into the Pill-Pushers' (i.e., that's code for the pharmaceutical industry's) profit margin.

As for what you take as my smack down of Brooke Shields.... Learn to read "sarcasm" when someone employs a "wink" after what they've just typed, okay?

The following is *ME* quoting myself, not me quoting Tom -- "GREAT! She (i.e., Brooke Sheidls) didn't kill her kid. Bravo! Don't write a book about it though! Why? Because you just know it's going to move Suzanne Somers to come out of the woodwork again! Bad Brooke! Very bad!
"

The Suzanne Somers quip didn't clue you into the fact that I was joking there? Or do you not realize what a prolific authoress she is? Hmmm.... :bnghd: In the words of Strother Martin, "Some men just can't be reached! What we have here is failure to communicate!"

You know laughter is a good medicine too. If one can't laugh in the face of their problem, then ... dang! And why do you assume I don't have a mental illness? You were quick enough to write me off as being as stupid as you consider Tom to be. Anyway, ... accept my cyber [[[[HUG]]]] and let's make nice, okay? :::WHEW!:::: :::backing away slowly with arms raised protectively::::

[edit on 27-6-2005 by smadewell]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   

I don't get into the whole Scientology kick that Cruise is on, but ... I don't see he did anything worse than what Shields did.

Celebs need to learn to shut their freaking pie hole, IMO. Still, what's so wrong with Tom saying there's something better than popping pills -- like avoiding stress and eating right and exercising and having a good mental outlook. Isn't that what the AMA has been telling us for years?

So, why is this bad? Because Tom lacks a lamb-skin on the wall and because he used his celeb status to tell people to get educated before taking the low road (i.e., taking pills and seeing a shrink, etc.).

I believe that this is your opinion, is it not? Everyone is entitled. In your own words-- IMO In My Opinion- you wrote. So dont give me crap about what I wrote. You can cool your own jets. Dear.
Oh and by all means tell a person with a psyciatric disorder to eat right , get some exercize and have a good mental outlook after you take the medication away and the therapist. Then invite them over! Never know what will happen next. They might act like Tom.

ohhh sarcasm

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Speaking of having your own opinion....

The fact that Tom Cruise is a celebrity does not bar him from adamantly expressing his own...

Of course, in today's world, being in the public eye and having your own opinion - as clearly evident by this thread - can cause a great deal of public backlash and alienation of fans...

Who really gives a damn what the man thinks or says....IMO he's proved in various films (although by no means all of them) that he is an excellent actor - And that's all that really matters at the end of the day....

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
IMO he's proved in various films (although by no means all of them) that he is an excellent actor - And that's all that really matters at the end of the day....

You can't be refering to Mission Impossible. When he say, "You haven't seen me upset", I spewed what I was drinking, laughter. I'd have a harder time with a case of hemeriods than him upset.

Sorry Enron, he's not my type of actor. Now Tommy Lee Jones, that's a different story.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rhiannon1968

So, why is this bad? Because Tom lacks a lamb-skin on the wall and because he used his celeb status to tell people to get educated before taking the low road (i.e., taking pills and seeing a shrink, etc.).

I believe that this is your opinion, is it not? Everyone is entitled. In your own words-- IMO In My Opinion- you wrote. So dont give me crap about what I wrote. You can cool your own jets. Dear.

Oh and by all means tell a person with a psyciatric disorder to eat right , get some exercize and have a good mental outlook after you take the medication away and the therapist. Then invite them over! Never know what will happen next. They might act like Tom.

ohhh sarcasm

"Celebs need to learn to shut their freaking pie hole, IMO."

That's true enough. Generally speaking ... yes ... celebs do need to shut their freaking pie hole, In My Opinion. They'd sure get in less trouble ... of course ... they'd also get a lot less publicity, eh? Hmmm.... I wonder if there's a correlation there? You don't suppose they say and do stupid things on purpose in order to get publicity? Nah.... Surely they don't pull stunts or make outrageous statements to get attetnion. Who does that!? Still that old Hollywood axiom, "Any publicity is good publicity" does make one wonder, eh?

Nevertheless, ... in context ... I thought it was pretty obvious that by "celebs" I was alluding more or less to Tom in particular, but ... celebrity banter is celebrity banter ... and really ought to be avoided.

Yeah ... I do understand how difficult it is to turn the other cheek when one hears they've been attacked. Might have been better if Brooke hadn't thrown the media hounds a bone, but ... it's one of those damned if you and damned if you don't situations, I suppose. Media hounds make terrible go-betweens and typically just love to stir the pot. It might have been better had both parties just talked to each other, rather than allowing the sharks to frenzy over their comments, no? This whole thing could have been avoided if Tom HAD shut his freaking pie hole from the jump and not answered any questions that reflected upon another celebrity, right?

Yes, IMO, one celebrity should NEVER answer loaded questions about another celeb. NEVER! It's bad form.

"Tom! So-and-So got married; what do you think?"
"Congrats to them!"
"Tom! So-and-So had a child; what do you think?"
"Congrats to them! I wish all parties concerned the very best."
"Tom! So-and-so got divorced; what do you think?"
"No comment, sorry."
"Tom! So-and-So wrote a book; what do you think?"
"Haven't read it yet. No comment" or "Can't comment, sorry."

In short, don't give the media whores and sharks and news hounds anything to feed on. Like they don't have enough real news in the world? They've gotta troll for news amongst the denizens and/or bottom feeders of Hollywood?

As for telling "a person with a psychiatric disorder to eat right".... Again, that was a rhetorical question asked sarcastically and meant as a backhanded (i.e., devious) jab in Tom's direction.

Emotiocons or not.... This is the SUCKIEST medium for communicating to others, because ... the intonation (i.e., manner of utterance) just can't be effectively be conveyed without copious addenda and expository notations. ::::heavy sigh:::: I'm just gonna take my own advice and shut my freaking pie hole from now on. ::::sheesh!::::

[edit on 27-6-2005 by smadewell]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerunOf course, in today's world, being in the public eye and having your own opinion - as clearly evident by this thread - can cause a great deal of public backlash and alienation of fans...

That's what I was getting at! Well said!

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Sorry Enron, he's not my type of actor. Now Tommy Lee Jones, that's a different story.

Hey now....I've got no bones with Mr Jones....lol

But - I mean...Come on....Rain Man?! So what if Dustin Hoffman stole the show....Who got laid?!

A Few Good Men....Interview With the Vampire.....Born on the Fourth of July.....Eyes Wide Shut - To name just a few....

top topics

join