It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

14 Year Old Girl Killed In Shark Attack (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
A 14 year old girl from Louisianna was attacked today by a shark in the Gulf 200-250 yards out in the water when they noticed a dark shadow swimming around them. She lost a leg in the attack, and was later pronounced dead upon arrival at the hospital. Her friend was rescued by a surfer, and did not sustain any injuries. Both girls were staying at a camp 45 minutes away.

www.cnn.com
The teenager was dragged underwater by the shark at about 11:15 a.m. in front of a campground near the Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, near Destin, Florida, according to the South Walton Fire District.

She lost a leg in the attack and died afterward, district official John Fitch said.

At the time of the attack, the girl and a 14-year-old friend were swimming and using "boogie boards" about 200 to 250 yards offshore, said Lt. Frank Owens of the Walton County Sheriff's office.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is truely a tragic event, this girl woke up today thinking she was going to have a fun filled day at the beach, and instead she never made it back. I wonder how her parents are going to feel? They'll never get to see their Daughter again. I don't really feel that anyone is to blame, but the girls really shouldn't have been that far out. As they reported, generally sufers are the only people out that far. After the first drop-off is where shark sightings become more prevailant.

All I know is that at the end of July when we usually go on vacation, I'm sticking in the shallow water, and I'm going to be very leary about letting my kids go in the water alone.

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com
t oday.reuters.com
www.nytimes.com

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
This is a repeat of www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Actually it´s not a "repeat" until one of the submissions have been upgraded. There are instead two submissions to choose from.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Well people shouldn't be voting no:repeat on mine then, especially since it was the first one submitted.

Oh and now there's three of them, not two.

[edit on 6/25/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Looks like there's another one reported...
www.reuters.com...

This time, Cape San Blas - Which is pretty interesting....That's a beach that I frequent occasionally...

It's a popular beach for surfers due to the high waves....It's also a popular place for shark fishers to go - I've caught a few out there myself...

I usually swim on the Panama City side of the beach though....The water's much more clear and there's less of a drop off....

All the hype over these attacks really annoys me....Beaches get closed, people become petrified of the water...All the while, you're more likely to be injured by a toilet seat...or get struck by lightening....

Sharks are truly fascinating and beautiful creatures that command your respect and full attention when sharing the water with them....People who drift out too far, go swimming alone or have splash-wars in 10 feet of water really have no right to complain...

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
mam oh man......I saw JAWS with a group of freinds as a kid, for my 6th grade birthday party....

When I am near the ocean...ANY sea for that matter, you wont SEE me in water past my knees.

I did a little snorkeling in cove ares on the sea of Cortez, and once in the Bahamas I was 'caoxed' in to a group snorkel wich was great! I rather perfer aquariums to getting IN with the sea creatures though.
I mean.....I SAW JAWS, and think IF you swim in the ocean you should EXPECT to be a sharks lunch! If not...well your lucky and thats all.

I am never surprised at reported shark attacks. They are a creature that means no mennice at all...they are only feeding in they're own enviroment.
Are'nt shark attacks more rare than being struck by lightning?

I do feel awfull for the perants of the poor girl. It can NOT be easy to loose a beloved child in ANY way.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Are'nt shark attacks more rare than being struck by lightning?

Yep...See my post above

I know there's gonna be someone later...Where's the proof? Where's a link? Well - Here ya go....

research.myfwc.com...

new topics

top topics

join