It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Teenager Killed By Shark (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
In another tragic shark attack, a 14 year old girl was attacked and suffered the loss of a leg before dying of blood loss and shock shortly after. Though sharks are often spotted in the Gulf of Mexico this is the first shark attack for the area near Destin, Florida. The victim's friend witnessed the attack, but could not identify the species of the 11 foot shark.

www.cnn.com
The teenager was dragged underwater by the shark at about 11:15 a.m. in front of a campground near the Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort, near Destin, Florida, according to the South Walton Fire District.......

Authorities do not know what kind of shark it was......

Fitch said the shark was about 11 feet long. Owens said he could not confirm that size, but noted that many species swim in the warm waters off the Florida coast.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is always unfortunate to see the loss of human life resulting from a shark attack. Shark attacks are something that we will most likely continue to experience. We must remember that these sharks are predators and act on instinct while feeding. They most often do not prefer the taste of humans, but often the bite is so severe that the loss of blood results in shock and death.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
This is a repeat of www.abovetopsecret.com....

Furthermore, your intro paragraph is biased and the news source has been changed from the original.

Zip

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
This is not a "repeat" until of of the submissions have been upgraded. Instead there are 2 submissions to choose from. Actually in this case there are three. Instead of commenting BIAS and such in the thread itself, I suggest using the buttons provided for voting...

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Yup, agree with Hellmutt.

Don't see the bias either......

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Source: Intro Paragraph
In another tragic shark attack, a 14 year old girl was attacked and suffered the loss of a leg before dying of blood loss and shock shortly after. Though sharks are often spotted in the Gulf of Mexico this is the first shark attack for the area near Destin, Florida. The victim's friend witnessed the attack, but could not identify the species of the 11 foot shark.

There is a fair amount of bias in the intro......first of all, I want to state that I agree that this story is tragic. Your use of words is merely a semantics.

Tragedy - connotative word. Elucidates an emotional response that draws the reader to a pre-fashioned conclusion prior to the ingestion of all facts.

Suffered - connotative word. Very unspecific and subjective; i.e. there are many ways to suffer and it's generally accepted as a bad thing, thus, the reader is drawn into an emotional context.

Victim - connotative word. Just as a point for Devil's Advocate.....who's to say she wasn't the noble reciever of shark bite? Extremist example, but there to illustrate the subjective nature of the word.

Again, I agree with your perspective of the story and showcase this for you to help explain the case for bias.....your use of biased words are not an accusation of intention......just merely being pointed out.....

To summarize the point of the intro paragraph........

"Just the facts, Ma'am."

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Don't be so daft. She did suffer the loss of a leg and she was a victim. What is he supposed to say?

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
What is he supposed to say?

The girl lost her(left or right) leg. Suffered, in this case is a superflous word.

The girl's friend witnessed the........kind of anal on my part here, I agree, but still relevant as a victim can be of any consequence, be it circumstance, robbery, etc. My point is that it's an emotional draw point.

Daft?!?!

Like I said, I don't necassarily disagree with his word usage, I'm just pointing out how it could contain bias.........so calm down, there buddy.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Please add any further comments to the following thread.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Thread Closed

top topics

join