It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia's Long-Range Bomber Force Ready For Pre-Emptive Strikes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   
The question how long they can maintain the force on whatever level of alert they are placing them on. Several of the Blackjacks are already unflyable due to lack of spare parts etc.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by bisonn
You sir, are an idiot.

Me sorry, it's not my fault that I can't tell the difference between the two different planes... but both planes does look the same to me...

TU-160

B1B

see... it's looks the same...

[edit on 26-6-2005 by ulshadow]

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
You have to know what you're looking at to be able to tell from a distance which is which in those pics. The Russian bird has a slightly wider fuselage near the wing root, doesn't have the canards on the nose (the little wing thingies in front of the American plane), the wings are just a little bit more swept when they're extended out, the engines hang a little differently. If you see a side shot though, they look a lot different.

The Tu-160 Blackjack:
www.airforce-technology.com...

The B-1B Bone/Lancer/Excalibur:

Notice the different tail sections, The Blackjack angles up more into the tail, where the Lancer blends into the tail a little more. Also notice the section on the Blackjack right behind the wing that sticks up. That is probably for the wing to blend into the fuselage when it's swept back. The Lancer doesn't have that. In the pic of the Lancer, notice the white portion just behind the wing, that is where the wing sweeps into, then it goes around the wing to make a smoother fuselage for high speed flight.

In these pics, notice how the engines hang on each. They look similar but you can see some differences.

The B-1B:

The Tu-160:

Oh, didn't mean to sound condesending when I explained what a canard is for those who know. I was trying to think of a good way to explain it for those who might not know.

[edit on 26-6-2005 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by bisonn

Originally posted by ulshadow
Those two pics of aircraft looks like american B1's not russian aircraft...

You sir, are an idiot.

Take your lousey attitude and hit the road Bisonn, posters like you are not needed in ATS. Not everyone's an aircraft expert.

Maximu§

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Everyone ignore the trolls, and don't throw them any bones to chew one. It''s quite obvious that the Russian bombers are an attempt to duplicate the B-1B Lancer. I was stationed at Dyess AFB (The home of the B-1B ) for 4 years, and worked on the flight-line with the bombers almost every day. I still had to look twice when I saw the Russian bomber photo. They say copying is the best form of flattery. This is some high praise for the B-1 indeed.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I don't think Russia would need to keep their bombers on 24/7 alert if their goal is just taking out terrorist training camps. I would think the mission and target would be planned in advance. These are camps, not moving targets of opportunity (unless there is intelligence of a high-level terrorist at a given location). Just my two cents though... I'm no military expert.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Looks like Afghanistan might be a possible target for Putin´s bombers. Here is a little quote from a meeting between Putin and Uzbekistan President Islam Karimov. They are talking about the shootings in Uzbekistan and say it was a terror attack made by terrorists from "specially trained bases in Afghanistan".

president.kremlin.ru: Beginning of a Meeting with Uzbekistan President Islam Karimov

June 28, 2005

I won’t go into other aspects of this quite complex and tragic event right now. But in general we confirm the information that infiltration by rebels from specially trained bases in Afghanistan did take place and that their concentration on adjacent territories was a fact. Our special service confirmed this.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Russian strategic bombers have launched a series of cruise missiles during exercises at a "northern testing ground". They also had exercises with bombardment and missile launches at testing grounds in Kazakhstan and southern Russia. The Russians say that all cruise missiles hit their targets.

RIA Novosti: Russian strategic bombers launch cruise missiles in exercises

24/ 08/ 2006

Russian strategic bombers launched a series of cruise missiles during command and staff exercises at a northern testing ground, a Russian Air Force spokesman said Thursday.

"All cruise missiles hit their targets," Alexander Drobyshevsky said. He added that six Tu-22M, or Backfire-C, long-range bombers simultaneously conducted successful missions with bombardment and missile launches at the Guryanovo testing ground in southern Russia, and at Emba, a testing ground that Russia leases from Kazakhstan.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I, for one, think its a good thing that the Russians are advertising a long-range strike option against those they perceive as terrorists. For the most part, most of "their" terrorists are on our lists as well, and it would be nice to see someone else jump into the fray now and then. Besides, I hardly think that the Russians would be as worried about the political sensitivities as we would. Russian pragmatism is an interesting thing.....

There have been other threads in the past discussing the similarities between the Lancer and the Blackjack. I believe that the concensus is thus:

1. The Blackjack design probably borrows much from the original B-1 design, however:
2. The original B-1 design was the best, most aerodynamically efficient design for the mission, so it was only natural the the fine Russina aerospace engineers would come to many of the same conclusions (and ultimate designs) as their American counterparts.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
For those of you automatically thinking Chechnya is the possible target of bombing- IT IS NOT HAPPENING. The war in Chechnya is OVER. Nearly ever separatist leader and terrorist mastermind has been innihilated. Chechnya is controlled by a very powerful pro-Russia warlord (Kadyrov), who more or less has the region under firm control. The remaining few rebels are being searched out by pro-Russian factions, and are no where as powerful enough to warrant a bombing strike.

Currently there is far more concern with Georgia and Azerbaijan. The two nations are controlled by anti-Russian leaders, who are very unstable and the possibility of war is very high- especially with Gergia. Georgia is known for harboring the remainder of Chechen terrorists, and for angry attitude towards Russia. It is also likely to attack pro-Russian atonymous region of Ossetia, which could lead to a full scale war, in case of which Gergia will rely on terrorists and rebels to help it.

So I would say Georgia and Pankisi Gorge region are the most likely targets of the would be bombing strikes. Georgia is acting very aggressively with US support, and seems hell bent on attacking Ossetia, which currently has Russian peace keepers.

Attack of Afganistan seems very unlikely, because of several reasons: US occupation; strained relations with Kazakhstan which is between Russia and Afganistan; and no credible threat to Russia from any Afgani factions.

Overall however Russia has very little reason to initiate bombing strikes anywhere right now. The only possibly reason I see is a preemptive strike if war with Georgia breaks out. Russia quietly sat by, while US innitiated its colored revolutions, and NATO attacked Serbia. So Russia is acting very restrained right now- the same cannot be said for US sadly.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
As an American I do not want to see the relationship we have built with Russia since the end of the cold war be destroyed when in reality U.S. and Russia share the same goal.

posted on Aug, 24 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
As an American I do not want to see the relationship we have built with Russia since the end of the cold war be destroyed when in reality U.S. and Russia share the same goal.

Yes and they both support each other's enemies as well. We really do share the same goal and pretty much are the same.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Russia has launched a massive air force exercise. It's the largest exercise involving long-range bombers in years, and they're also going to test-fire cruise missiles.

MosNews: Russia Launches Massive Air Force Exercise

The maneuvers will involve over 50 Tu-160, Tu-95 and Tu-22M aircraft flying missions over the Arctic, Pacific and Atlantic Oceans and the Black and Caspian Seas, Gen. Vladimir Mikhailov said, according to the Interfax and ITAR-Tass news agencies. He said it will be the largest exercise involving Russian long-range bombers in years, the agencies reported.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 02:40 AM
link   
"And then the Russians, having learned well from observation of how effectively clandestine attacks under the premise and cover of military excercise can succeed, _______________________________________________."

Just a wierd thought. I hope there's no blank to fill in.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Anybody ever bothered to think that maybe Russia is prepping their airforce for the upcoming War with Iran??? Russia has invested alot of time,money and personnel into the Iranian nuclear program and is also a major buyer of iranian oil.Maybe the terrorist's they speak about is the U.S.A. itself??? I never have bought into the fact that the cold war was ever over.In fact I always thought it was a ruse to make the west think that they have won and that Russia was broken,all the while they were making preparations for an ecalation of hostilities against their old enemy.Old resentments and hostile feelings run deep-It is laughable to think that one day they woke and said" We were wrong-you were right.We're sorry and let's be friends!!"

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ARNOMANNN
Anybody ever bothered to think that maybe Russia is prepping their airforce for the upcoming War with Iran??? Russia has invested alot of time,money and personnel into the Iranian nuclear program and is also a major buyer of iranian oil.Maybe the terrorist's they speak about is the U.S.A. itself???

No, and no offense, but that is ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Russia's long-range bomber force is ready to eliminate terrorist bases, including those outside the country, said Russian air force commander Gen. Vladimir Mikhailov.

Yes, of course they are....all 16 *sarcasm* of those still able to fly fully loaded missions.

Gen. Vladimir Mikailov needs to change his parts distributor or parts delivery service.

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   

They are Russian Bombers. Althought the similiarity to the US planes is probably to do with some espionage, but they are Russian.

This will never end. Functionality (aerodynamics/physics), available resources, economy and manufacturing culture etc, not "styling" dictate the design.

Similarities in airframe layouts of all designs go back to WWI. People that accept the typical propaganda that if something looks similar then the other side must have stolen it simply have no clue on the topic. Naturally espionage plays a huge role, but considering COMPLETELY different industrial cultures (metric/imperial etc). The sheer amount of resources needed to "copy" something instead of developing a domestic concept based on already existing technological base is astronomical, and simply does not make any sense.

TU-160 outperforms B1A/B in every respect.

Using a TU-160 to bomb terrorists is ludicrous. It's just a continuation of a geo-political war for Eurasia, which was started by the ultra conservatives, neocons etc to do the bidding of Corp America.

This entire Islamic fundamentalism nonsense stresses the good old saying "what comes around, goes around". CIA was in charge of recruiting, funding, training, and essentially creating the entire fundamentalist movement. Chechens are funded, trained and protected just as Afghans were back in the 80s. Nothing new here.

The question how long they can maintain the force on whatever level of alert they are placing them on. Several of the Blackjacks are already unflyable due to lack of spare parts etc.

Again, I can't wait when this myth of "poor Russians" will finally die off. Their economy has been going strong for a DECADE, and they have been rearming them selves to the teeth.

Everybody do your selves a favor and look into CIA Fact book for 2006.

Over 54% of Russian national budget for 2007 is classified. Even CIA fact book DOES NOT state what their actual military spending is.

Fact is, we don't know, precisely because Russians don't want us to know, all while they are literally barrier under a mountain of OIL MONEY.

Everyone ignore the trolls, and don't throw them any bones to chew one. It''s quite obvious that the Russian bombers are an attempt to duplicate the B-1B Lancer. I was stationed at Dyess AFB (The home of the B-1B ) for 4 years, and worked on the flight-line with the bombers almost every day. I still had to look twice when I saw the Russian bomber photo. They say copying is the best form of flattery. This is some high praise for the B-1 indeed.

Hello again dbates, I'm sure you remember me, so feel free to stop now.

maloy is correct about Chechnya, nothing to bomb there.

I never get tired of blind patriots that scream "we're the best in everything", and while gazing up at the flag they're walking straight into the abyss.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by iskanderAgain, I can't wait when this myth of "poor Russians" will finally die off. Their economy has been going strong for a DECADE, and they have been rearming them selves to the teeth.
It will never die off, at least among nervous Americans (the majority here). Americans don't want to see Russia become powerful again, but that's exactly what's happening... so I guess their way of coping with it is by making jokes about Russians standing in lines for toilet paper or some such.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   

so I guess their way of coping with it is by making jokes about Russians standing in lines for toilet paper or some such.

LOL! That's a good one. Yep, when Bentley/Rolls Royce begin to change their design in order to appease Russian customers, some sort of conclusions must be made.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join