It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organ meats - they're really not bad, I swear!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Being born and raised in England, I was used to eating "organ meats" as a child.

Liver and onions is still a dish I crave regularly.

But nothing prepared me for the recipes my gran used to make before she died....without further ado, please find below a couple of more unusual recipes...specially for those of us who still like the idea of utilising the whole animal, not just the posh bits

Fried Venison Heart

1 venison heart
1 md onion, sliced
1 ts Prepared mustard
1 ts Pickling spice
1 ts salt
3 ts Wine vinegar
1 c Red wine
Flour
2 ts butter

Split heart in half. Remove all vents and ducts. Misx onion,
mustard, pickling spice, salt, wine vinegar, and wine in large glass
bowl. Soak heart in marinade overnight. Dredge pieces in flour and
fry in butter over high heat. When both sides are browned reduce
heat and continue to cook 5 to 10 minutes longer. Serve with rice, potatoes or vegetables of choice.

Pork Brain Sandwiches

1 lb pork brains
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c Flour
1/2 ts baking powder
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Soak brains in salt water a short time. Cover with clear water and remove
membrane. Drain; beat in other ingredients with spoon. If too thin, add a
small amount of flour; if too thick, add small amount of milk. Fry on
griddle until well done, turning once. Serve on buns, of course, with hot butter if desired.

Enjoy! (or at least, please don't kill me!)

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Liver and onions over a bed of rice is the bomb. Chicken livers preferably. Sweetbreads are also a favorite but are usually reserved for fancy dinners out. My girlfriend won't touch the brains though.

Peace

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I just love a good rice with Chicken heart ...YUMMYY !!
I really dont like liver, but if its not to dry i can go with it ... but what i really love is a traditional North Portugal dish called "Tripas", and that porks intestine cooked in hot sauce and than served with home made bread and a good wine ... ! Than i also like a thing called "Morcela de Arroz" e "Morcela de Sangue"...they're both sausages made out of the pigs blood, the difference is that one has rice and the other doesnt.... I think most peopel just cant deal with the idea that their eating the organs, so they assume its horrible... but its really not... there are alot of organ dishes that taste as good or better than a stake.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
My father actually eats tripe a lot....it's similar to your Portuguese recipe, but without the hot sauce. He just eats it boiled and laden with vinegar.

And now I'm really, really, really craving liver and onions. With meat gravy. Served over mashed potatoes, with a side of peas and carrots.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
well right now cause its so hot over here, i would go finne with snails and cold beer...yummmyyyy in my tummy...lol

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
The only liver you'll catch me eating is Foie Gras.....lol

I'll finely mince up some chicken livers for red beans and rice though....But in general, I find it far too grainy and potent.....But I must admit that I simply don't cook with it enough to fully understand its versatility....

Well...there is the lobster tomalley too....I used to go crazy when I caught lobsters coming back to the dishpit with that green goodness still in there - It got to the point where I scooped it out during prep and made a spread out of it.....Oh they loved that - You just don't tell them what's in it

I'm adventuress though - I'll try anything more than once....

Except maybe raw sea urchin....That's one of those "ultimate acquired tastes" I'm not sure I'll ever acquire....lol

[edit on 6/27/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
The only liver you'll catch me eating is Foie Gras.....lol

My thoughts exactly!

Actually paté de campagne is pretty good too...

but just a whole cooked liver? No way!

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   
as a vegetarian i have to say EEEEUW

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun

Well...there is the lobster tomalley too....I used to go crazy when I caught lobsters coming back to the dishpit with that green goodness still in there - It got to the point where I scooped it out during prep and made a spread out of it.....Oh they loved that - You just don't tell them what's in it

[edit on 6/27/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

MAN!
people will eat anything if you put it on a fancy shaped cracker.
I know people who eat the eguivalent parts out of Blue Crab.
I usually let them know that it contains the poop of a scavenger..LOL
Or does it? I was always afraid to find out..

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I don't mind a little bit of liver now and then , and kidney in a steak and kidney pie is pretty nice.
What I can't stomach the thought of though is tongue. Why would anyone want to eat another creatures tongue?

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
OMG! tinkle your a ghoul!

hehe not really, chicken hearts ground up into gravy are good and chicken livers are fantastic. organ meats are good for you too.

"I think i'll eat your heart"

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by pantha
I don't mind a little bit of liver now and then , and kidney in a steak and kidney pie is pretty nice.
What I can't stomach the thought of though is tongue. Why would anyone want to eat another creatures tongue?

Teehee.

By the same token though...why would anyone eat an organ that is specifically used to filter out waste products?!

(I have to raise my hand on both counts. But I'm weird
)

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
MAN!
people will eat anything if you put it on a fancy shaped cracker.
I know people who eat the eguivalent parts out of Blue Crab.
I usually let them know that it contains the poop of a scavenger..LOL
Or does it? I was always afraid to find out..

- Yeah...Fancy crackers make just about anything appealing to some...

Why eat just the parts of a crab....when you can eat the whole damn thing!

Soft shell crab.....mmmmmmmmm - Some people simply get freaked out when they see those legs and eyes on the plate.....But Good Gravy Marie, I just can't resist a soft shell crab sushi role...or pan-fried with a light red sauce....

Even though I never really grew up in the south, I've always enjoyed southern food....And one thing my mother got me hooked on as a kid was fried gizzards...Of course, I'd always let her take the livers

Now.....How about some rocky mountain oysters?!

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by pantha

Tongue is hard to keep down.

Peace

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Oh dear god...I'm going to be sick.....

posted on Jul, 3 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Tongue?

No thanks.... I'm not eating ANYTHING that tastes me back!

Seriously, I don't eat "motors"....just meat....and that ain't meat....

Y'all will have to excuse the southern accent....just went tubin' yesterday in a real redneck area of florida, hehe....

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Okay, usually I try to keep an open mind about foods, but I'm kinda on board about tongue. Ick.

Jamaicans use kidney and liver in breakfasts. Rice, spicy sauce, red beans, really yummy. Almost cant tell it is liver. doesn't have the normal texture associated with it. Had it every day when we went on vacation.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Liver and onions over a bed of rice is the bomb. Chicken livers preferably. Sweetbreads are also a favorite but are usually reserved for fancy dinners out. My girlfriend won't touch the brains though.

Peace

Ahh yeah I love chicken livers either on a fresh bread roll with butter or on rice as you have said. I always cook mine with onions and salt..... most people think I am weird but...meh.. it tastes great and is good for you...

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
i tried ox tongue when i was younger it was quite nice.
i dont like liver, never have. rabbit i will never eat. (never say never!)

squid is LOVELY same with octopus. shell fish i love! crabs, prawns, winkles etc.

oni x x

ps: in the pic above, is that lady eating the tongue or trying to pull it??

[edit on 16-10-2005 by Oni x x]

new topics

top topics

join