It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Dies After Hours Of Gaming

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Russian Schoolboy Dies After 12 Hours of Computer Gaming

Link www.mosnews.com...

May he rest in Peace. I personally let my 15 year old twins sons play all day. Trying to limit kids playing theses days is like trying to pull teeth out of a bull. They fight you all the way.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I am amazed at how much time my friends kids spend on the XBox/PC etc. I often think that if I had kids then I would physically stop them from playing computer games, but thats the key isn't it: I don't have kids.
As Angel says

"They fight you all the way."

Edit: Grrrrrr, formatting.

[edit on 25-6-2005 by KhieuSamphan]

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
My children have the x-box and gamecube and sometimes won't use them for days or weeks. My children would much rather be outside playing. Instead of giving your children these games, give them some outside activities or put a limit on time spent using these games and stick to it. I spend alot of time playing with my children rather than pushing off to do things on their own. Bad health and obesity can start by sitting in front of the tv all day.

I just bought both of my children ages 5 and 9 a motorized chopper(motorcycle) that does 20mph and they love them. Can't get them in the house for dinner or bedtime. I Take them canoeing, hiking and metal detecting. We as parents have to make sure we show them other opportnities of having good times.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Hey, I See You, you sound like a cool parent. Not like some I know who are thankful for the XBox's and GameCubes of this world so that they don't have to put the effort in with their kids...or so it seems.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Well, as a kid, I'll be the expert on this thread. I used to play a lot and still play sometimes. Mostly on a PC im on ATS. Perhaps if you let them play as much as they liked they might get bored after a while. Like, if you let them play for half an hour they'll want to play a lot more just because your putting a limit on it.

ATS Physciatrist,

Atomix

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Thanks KhieuSamphan

I had children because they are alot of fun. My children are my best friends. You teach them all you know and they in turn teach you things that might of not known. Like I said my children are ages 5 and 9 and those years have gone by so fast it's unreal. Before you know it they're off to college and to their own lives. Parents will wish they had spent more time with them.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
Perhaps if you let them play as much as they liked they might get bored after a while.

Reverse psychology, eh. Might work. You could always just burn the thing (and I don't mean the kid).
Anyways, my friends kid, who is 6, loves DOOM, and whenever he plays on it he starts to make really strange grunting noises, like he is possessed. Strangely, he never makes these noises when he isn't playing the game.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Why is that
? The child is 6, playing a game for 18+. He finds it very difficult, what happens when people try really hard? they grunt.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Looks like more Hegalian poo poo, yeah the same old tired "Problem-Reaction-Solution," happening over and over again. "Oh those bloody computer games killed the little Russian bloke Martha, now what do they do?" Martha replies,"Why haven't you seen through this game veil Joe, its those Russkies blasting the poor kid with shell fish toxin so they blame computer games and have a crackdown."

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Very sad that this boy was so obsessed that he died playing games.

As a Mother of 4 and the wife of a Creative/Art Director for a gaming company, I have to say that I have mixed feelings on the subject. I don't think there is anything wrong with allowing children to play video games as long as they are age appropriate and used in moderation.

We own every gaming console there is (hubby has to keep up to date with them as per his job) and we allow our older daughters who are 5 and 7 to play 1 hour per night. When they first started playing they would want to play ALL the time. Then the novelty wore off and they accepted the 1 hour limit and most nights they find something else to do rather than play. Of course they have the benefit of being able to watch their Father CREATE a game or charachters which may end up on consoles so they prefer to be involved and give input in that than to just sit and play games.

Video games and PC games aren't all bad. They help with eye/hand coordination and they help reinforce that all actions have consequences and that thinking ahead is important. There are also oodles of educational games on the market that are GREAT for children.

Gaming should never take the place of children playing outside in the real world or having imaginative play time, but, used in moderation, they can be beneficial to children. Many parents just plant their child in front of the TV all day every day and that's been going on for YEARS. I think allowing children to play video/computer games is a far better option than letting a child just stare at the TV. But again, moderation and parental discretion is the key.

Jemison

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
At the risk of sounding somewhat brutal about it...

Unplug the darned machine!

If it's not there, they cannot play. Sure, they're going to argue, yell, scream and take a tantrum....but they're not the parents. We shouldn't be allowing our kids to rule in this manner.

Kids will always fight what they don't want - that's what being a parent involves, though....being able to stick to your guns, and not be intimidated.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I doubt his death is 100% atributable to playing games, more likely he didn't eat/drink correctly and/or had a born defect that would cause him to collapse under great stress, sleep deprevation or mineral deficiency's because of mallnurishment.

I finished DeusEx 1 in a 3 days straight gameplay to end up finishing, reading about it having 3 more endings and restarting to play it to get to all 3 endings.

The only thing I ever had from it was that I slept 2 days straight after doing it.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
I doubt his death is 100% atributable to playing games, more likely he didn't eat/drink correctly and/or had a born defect that would cause him to collapse under great stress, sleep deprevation or mineral deficiency's because of mallnurishment.

I finished DeusEx 1 in a 3 days straight gameplay to end up finishing, reading about it having 3 more endings and restarting to play it to get to all 3 endings.

The only thing I ever had from it was that I slept 2 days straight after doing it.

I think that was the point, yeah. Nobody dies just from "playing a game". They die from starvation, dehydration, the physiological damage therein, etc etc.

Point remains, though: Turn Off The Machines!

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
When I was a kid, my parents regulated my computer usage. 4 hours a day and that was it. Agreeing that this is already a pritty substantial amount of time considering I was enroled and studying in 2 seperate schools in 2 different country's and I had a rather extensive resume of activities outside of school.

Then when I was 18, I was allowed longer but they would still tell me to stop if they found it was effecting my sleep and eating cycles.

Now these days, I spend an average of 16 hours a day behind a PC, work and private time combined.

Outside that, I'm still also go mountainbiking, swimming and to fitness training at least 1ce a week.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
sad really... i cant believe that a russian kid... died from playing computer games... but no wonder he liked the computer... everybody is poor in russia and not everybody can get a computer... fare well comrade

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
you could let them join club that will give them good use of there bodys instead of abusing with video gameing and junk food.

The most important is to see you children friends because they will probably hear from them than from you.

" Tell me who is your closest friends and i will tell you who you are'

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
alot of people are assuming things here

ok first of all

Video Games have never Killed anyone EVER!! Theres never been ANY PROOF!

Stop being prejudice for one second please
Ive played video games for quadrillions of hours *yes i started during the Triassic Period*

why arent I dead? being some of you think the game actually hurt the kid

games are educational , they keep kids out of crime; and they teach you "if you go shooting people YOU will eventually GET SHOT TOO"
it always happens its impossible to get away perfectly unscathed

i WOULD let my kid go outside and play like i did as a child BUT
theres this thing going on in america right now called CHILD RAPISTS and KIDNAPPINGS
I live in a big city of 250,000+ people so the odds of something going wrong are reasonable enough for me to protect my child by keeping her inside unless IM there to Watch Her constantly

shes only 1 right now but soon she will be wanting to go play outside in a few years
And she will; but I will be watching !!!

too many kids go missing and end up dead or raped
Im not taking those chances im sorry

I would rather her play a game or watch TV or READ A BOOK , actually

Reading a Book is probably the BEST thing a kid can do
Better than playing outside

but to keep a kid balanced and in good spirits/health
you must do Everything

play outside some; read some; play video game some or watch a little TV
get them to Build things like a "model rocket" or put togeather Puzzles

you know what i mean its common sense

just spread things out; get everything in there
get the kid to expierance all facets of "Having Fun"

and its always best to show your kid that "reading is hella fun"
dont ever act like its boring !!! because in Reality Reading ISNT boring!!!
only stupid people thing reading is boring....by definition

and Fear Not; none of you are stupid

You all obviously Love reading quite a bit; because your on ATS forums which is proof you have read alot in your life

props on the high educational value of ATS and the educated people who make it this way

Thank all of you!

but dont go thinking video games are bad! they are not!
its the parent who is at fault! not some entertainment medium

Thats all
thanks for listening

Beam me up scotty

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I think what has happened here is DVT. The report says a stroke but that is essentially the same thing. Blood clots moving around the circulatory system.

There was a case last year in the Uk where a ten yr old (who survived I believe) was sat playing on his X-Box for 10 hours straight, in one sitting position without moving. Same as if you where on a plane or what-not.

If you dont drink enough fluids or eat properly, that will compound the problem.

It wasn't the game that killed him, it was probably the fact he sat in his chair for 12 hours without moving, drank coke and ate crap. Not surprising really.

But as demonstrated, it isn't the games fault. I have known a bloke at BT ( I deal with them in my job) who got DVT because he sat at his desk working for a 12 hour shift and didn't move. He went down the pub with the rest of the BT lads and collapsed. He thankfully survived, but had he just got up and moved around for a bit every now and then and made sure he drank and eat properly, the risk would have been drastically reduced.

I work 12 hour shifts too (days and nights) but I get up regulary. This will lesson the risk of DVT or any other condition related to sitting in one position enough to discount it.

EDIT: As a side not, i also spend alot of my time playing games...but i know the risks that come with a static position (especially where parts of the body are compressed) and make sure I move around.

[edit on 25/6/05 by stumason]

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
FWIW, a stroke happens only in the brain; the DVT will generally move towards the lungs and cause death that way. There's enough of a difference to make it important to distinguish one from t'other.

More to the point though - nobody is suggesting "the game" killed the kid.

The inactivity of the kid is what killed him...there's no need for defensiveness, muzzle.

(some people are infinitely more prone to DVTs, incidentally - even getting up and wandering around, or being active regularly, isn't enough sometimes)

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   

FWIW, a stroke happens only in the brain; the DVT will generally move towards the lungs and cause death that way. There's enough of a difference to make it important to distinguish one from t'other.

Both are blood clots. A DVT tends to form in the legs, so it's first port of call will be the cardio-vascular system. A stroke will be a blood clot that either forms in the brain or just managed to make it's way there without getting stuck elsewhere.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join