It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon Developing Massive Database on Millions of U.S. Students

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Well its safe to say now that Big brother is here and has been for sometime. Now they are targeting your children, taking names and making lists. For sometime now recruiters have been in and out of your schools eating lunch with your children some even in the 6th and 7th grades and no one asked your permission for these people to have access to your children, not once did you get a note from school about this. Believe me I know I called my school when my children mentioned one day in a conversation, I overheard, something about the recruiters, when I asked about it they thought I knew that recruiters were coming and going through the school anytime they wanted.

In high school my kids got calls from recruiters until I got the phone and gave them the speech about I gave birth to this child, I make the decisions on who they talk to until they are 18, that did no good but then I realized I was talking to men. Men who never want to hear about female body functions and labor pains for some reason after I gave them childbirth details by agonising moment by moment they did not call again. LOL

Anyway wake up America, war makes some people rich and they want you to invest your son or daughter. This is a small excerpt of the story and the whole story and a transcript of interviews is available at the link.

www.democracynow.org.../06/24/1348257

The Pentagon is working with a private company to create information dossiers on millions of young Americans to help identify college and high school students as young as 16 to target for military recruiting.
The massive database includes an array of personal information including birth dates, Social Security numbers, e-mail addresses, grade point averages, ethnicity and what subjects the students are studying. The Pentagon has hired the Massachusetts-based company BeNow to run the database apparently in an effort to circumvent laws that restrict the government's right to collect or hold citizen information by turning to private firms to do the work.

[edit on 25-6-2005 by goose]

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Nothing new. Seems this is only just being reported but has been in progress since 2003, just that they forgot to mention it

www.boston.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I can't believe that no one cares about this, anyway I am shamelessly bumping this in case you have not heard about it.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Such a list would be perfect if you needed to draft some new soldiers as well. Sadly I am afraid that is where we may be headed. Especially if Iran or N. Korea kicked up in the next year. If they pay attention to what is going on in this country they will know our military is understaffed and we would have to draft. Why not attack.

Bush has his list of victims now. He will just start picking from the bottom up.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
what is wrong with the government keeping a list of possible new recruits? I don't see anything wrong with that at all. This is just mindless spin, trying to make this seem evil when really its just normal, and a good idea!

It also sounds like you have something against men...

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Boatphone, is there anything the government can do that you don't agree with? As for the little dig at my having something against men, funny!

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Yes, raising taxs I dislike. And I hate fire saftey codes.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boatphone
what is wrong with the government keeping a list of possible new recruits? I don't see anything wrong with that at all. This is just mindless spin, trying to make this seem evil when really its just normal, and a good idea!

It also sounds like you have something against men...

compliing datd without the knowledge and consent of the people invilved is rong... quite possibly illegal... corruption is rife in alot of the current governments and no one will stand up to them.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
And what do you think is making your taxes high?

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by goose
And what do you think is making your taxes high?

Liberals who want to fund silly government programs.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
What kind of programs are the liberal funding that are costing so much in tax dollars? As a liberal I see feeding the poor and lending a helping hand to someone in need or out of work as an essential part of my humanity.

I see that providing healthcare to anyone sick is important. I see that the hungry should be fed, the sick should be taken care of and the elderly should have what they need, if someone needs medications they should have them even if they can't afford them. Are these the types of programs you are talking about? Believe it or not these types of programs receive very little funding compared to the cost of war that the conservatives seem all gungho to spend every dime on (and then don't even see fit to provide the soldiers fighting with adequate armor, our military going through dumps looking for metal for their jackets, shameful).

As a liberal I see that if you are going to send someone into battle at least give them adequate up to date body armor. As a liberal I see that if you are going to go into a war at least don't base it on a lie, a big fat lie, (see Downing Street Memo). As a liberal I see that Operation Iraqi Liberation really means OIL, need I say more?

As a liberal I don't give a darn who is smoking pot and think the federal government wastes a huge amount of money funding law enforcement, courts, prisons that should be spent on important things. Why not take it over like they did alcohol and sell it by the pack? At least they could pretend they are regulating it. Also allowing our farmers to grow the industrial cannabis would be a boost to our economy. And now you got that crazy bunch of idiots out there looking for cancer patients who use marijuana for health reasons and the federal courts and government agree with this, do you not see how ludricrous this is?

All you ever hear about is one family taking advantage of the system you don't see the ones struggling to better themselves but the programs in place right now for education are being cut to the bone. But this suits the rich keep the poor hungry and tired and overworked and feed them a crapload of propaganda and they will work for nothing and then send their sons and daughters off to die in a war because they are so grateful.

Stats prove that the richer are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer in this country. And in case you don't know the rich are getting richer off the backs and work of the poor. And now please tell me exactly what programs you are against? Should we stop feeding the children who qualify for free lunch or half price lunch; lunch at school?

[edit on 27-6-2005 by goose]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Programs like this!

In 2005 - $469,000 for the National Wildlife Turkey Federation in South Carolina

boycottliberalism.com...

Also, America did not go to war based on a lie and you have no proof that we did.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
...has been in progress since 2003...

Actually, it's been before 2003. Note that these acts tie Federal funding to military recruiting as early as 1995.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

SUMMARY: The Department of Defense promulgates the rule addressing military recruiting and Reserve Officer Training Corps program access at institutions of higher education. This rule implements the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1995, the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1996, and the Omnibus Consolidated Appropriations Act, 1997 (the Acts).

The Acts state that no funds available under appropriations acts for any fiscal year for the Departments of Defense, Transportation (with respect to military recruiting), Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies may be provided by contract or grant (including a grant of funds to be available for student aid) to a covered school that has a policy or practice (regardless of when implemented) that either prohibits, or in effect prevents, the Secretary of Defense from obtaining, for military recruiting purposes, entry to campuses, access to students on campuses, access to directory information on students, or that has an anti-ROTC policy.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boatphone
Programs like this!

In 2005 - $469,000 for the National Wildlife Turkey Federation in South Carolina

boycottliberalism.com...

Also, America did not go to war based on a lie and you have no proof that we did.

psssssssst Boatphone did you bother figuring that the liberals are outvoted in the Congress and the Senate and the republicans are in the majority so anything that passes has got to get the conservative vote to pass, so whose to blame? Really the democrats are not even in the majority and you are still blaming them.

I don't have to prove its a lie its already been proven. No WMD's and now the downing street memo. Also all the top scientists that gave info that Saddam did not have the material to make WMD's were ignored. Wake up Boatphone we were lied to, intentionally lied to, no none of this stuff about bad intelligence unless you mean by that Bush and Cheneys and company intelligence being so dumb to rush to war for oil. Oh I'm sorry I mean Operation Iraqi Liberation, what a joke?

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   

psssssssst Boatphone did you bother figuring that the liberals are outvoted in the Congress and the Senate and the republicans are in the majority so anything that passes has got to get the conservative vote to pass, so whose to blame? Really the democrats are not even in the majority and you are still blaming them.

Well, you see there is still a lot of deal making and such that goes on it the Senate and the House. So, liberal programs can still be born. Its not all just voting on bills you know.

I don't have to prove its a lie its already been proven. No WMD's and now the downing street memo.

No, nothing has been proven. Many liberals and Bush haters online would have you think that but when you read the downing street memo all it says is that Bush wanted Saddam out. According to one source in England. And yes it may be very true that Bush did want Saddam out. But that is no surprise and it does not change the fact that Saddam was a danger to the U.S. and that taking over Iraq will make to U.S. & the world a lot safer.

Also all the top scientists that gave info that Saddam did not have the material to make WMD's were ignored.

Who are these top scientists??

Wake up Boatphone we were lied to, intentionally lied to, no none of this stuff about bad intelligence unless you mean by that Bush and Cheneys and company intelligence being so dumb to rush to war for oil. Oh I'm sorry I mean Operation Iraqi Liberation, what a joke?

No, we were not lied too. And tell the women in Iraq who got to vote for the first time in Iraq’s history or the families of Saddam’s victims that their liberation is a joke.

What is a joke is your opinion of the Iraq war. Maybe you take voting and all your freedoms fo granted but I don’t and the Iraqi people don’t either! I will say, “good day” to you now.

[edit on 28-6-2005 by Boatphone]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
the new gimmick they use is picking 18 yr olds up in new mustangs, and then saying how they could afford a car just like that... and would they like to go down and sign up for one... (at the recruiting center)...
they even offer to take them to get them the car...(under whatever credit rate the person can get)
what better way to appeal to the poorer underpriveledged than by offering a nice new car... at 37% interest...

personally I think the recruiters (not all, but many) are starting to go WAY over the line...

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
You can sub-head this one under a nickname of "Rumsfield's Kindergarten Recruiters".

www.defenselink.mil...

DHRA 04

System name:

Joint Advertising and Market Research Recruiting Database (May 23, 2005, 70 FR 29486).

System location:

BeNOW, 500 Edgewater Drive, Suite 525, Wakefield, MA 01880.

Categories of individuals covered by the system:

Names of high school students, aged 16-18; current college students; and Selective Service System registrants. Individuals who have taken the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test; Individuals who have responded to various paid/non-paid advertising campaigns seeking enlistment information since July 1992; Current military personnel who are on Active Duty or in the Reserves. Individuals who are in the process of enlisting. Individuals who have asked to be removed from any future recruitment lists.

Categories of records in the system:

Full name, date of birth, gender, address, city, state, zip code, and where available Social Security Number (SSN), email address, ethnicity, telephone number, high school name, graduation date, Grade Point Average (GPA) code, education level, college intent (if documented), military interest (if documented), field of study, current college attending, ASVAB Test date, ASVAB Armed Forces Qualifying Test Category Score.

Authority for maintenance of the system:

5 U.S.C. 301, Departmental Regulation; 10 USC 136, Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness, and E.O.9397 (SSN).

Purpose(s):

The purpose of the system of records maintained by the Joint Advertising, Market Research and Studies (JAMRS) is to provide a single central facility within the Department of Defense to compile, process and distribute files of individuals who meet age and minimum school requirements for military service. The information will be provided to the Services to assist them in their direct marketing recruiting efforts. The system also provides JAMRS with the ability to measure effectiveness of list purchases through ongoing analysis and to remove the names of individuals who are currently in, or are enlisting, in the Armed Forces or who have asked that their names be removed from future recruitment lists.

Routine uses of records maintained in the system, including categories of users and the purposes of such uses:

In addition to those disclosures generally permitted under 5 U.S.C. 552a(b) of the Privacy Act, These records or information contained therein may specifically be disclosed outside the DoD as a routine use pursuant to 5 U.S.C. 552a(b)(3) as follows:

The DoD 'Blanket Routine Uses' set forth at the beginning of OSD's compilation of systems of records notices apply to this system.

Policies and practices for storing, retrieving, accessing, retaining, and disposing of records in the system:

Storage:

Records are maintained on electronic storage media.

Retrievability:

Records may be retrieved by individual's name, Social Security Number, or by address.

Safeguards:

Access to personal information is restricted to those who require the records in the performance of their official duties. Access to personal information is further restricted by the use of passwords that are changed periodically. Physical entry is restricted by the use of locks, guards, and administrative procedures.

Retention and disposal:

Destroy when 5 years old or 5 years after completion of a specific training program (General Records Schedule 1, Item 29(a)(1)).

System manager(s) and address:

Program Manager, Executive Information/Decision Support Program Office, Six Skyline Place, Suite 809, 5111 Leesburg Pike, Falls Church, VA 22041-3201.

Notification procedure:

Individuals seeking to determine whether information about themselves is contained in this system should address written inquiries to the Department of Defense, Defense Human Resources Activity, c/o JAMRS, Direct Marketing Program Officer, Defense Human Resources Activity, 4040 N. Fairfax Drive, Suite # 200, Arlington, Virginia 22203-1613.

Requests should contain the full name, Social Security Number, date of birth, current address, and telephone number of the individual.

Record access procedures:

Individuals seeking to determine whether this system of records contains information about themselves should address written inquiries to the Department of Defense, Defense Human Resources Activity, c/o JAMRS, Direct Marketing Program Officer, Defense Human Resources Activity, 4040 N. Fairfax Drive, Suite # 200, Arlington, Virginia 22203-1613.

The Written requests should contain the full name, Social Security Number, date of birth, current address, and telephone number of the individual.

Contesting record procedures:

The OSD rules for accessing records, for contesting contents and appealing initial agency determinations are contained in OSD Administrative Instruction 81; 32 CFR part 311; or may be obtained from the system manager.

Record source categories:

Individuals; state Department of Motor Vehicle offices; commercial information brokers/vendors; Selective Service System; Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC); United States Military Entrance Processing Command for individuals who have taken the ASVAB test; and the Military services and Congressional offices for individuals who have asked to be removed from any future recruitment lists.

Exemptions claimed for the system:

None.

Tons more

[edit on 6/28/2005 by QuietSoul]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Boatphone please not, "good day", oh lord I can't take it!
Actually Boatphone the No WMD's have been proven even the Bush Administraation has admitted their not there and stopped looking for them. Of course they had a ready excuse bad intelligence.

And then everything else is blamed on the liberal media as always for reporting it. Have you considered the fact that Clinton was a liberal and this same liberal media nailed his hide to the wall for two solid years? Uh my suggestion is that there is no liberal media, their just called this whenever they try to tell the truth.
You have a good day too Boatphone.

[edit on 28-6-2005 by goose]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Goose,

Again you have not prooven anything...it is a 100% fact that Saddam had WMDs so why would we think that he had gotten rid of them, just because he says so. Fat chance! We did the right thing even if he did destroy or hide, or get rid of the WMDs before we came in.

I don't want to take that chance.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Boatphone you are wanting to believe it all, so be it, make sure you invest in some duct tape and plastic.
Here is someone demonstrating how to use it, your hero. LOL
img230.echo.cx...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join