It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HL2 sucked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I recently bought half life 2 expecting a great game as everyone had said it was. After paying too much for it at Best Buy and after about two days, I kept telling myself it was going to get better. Throughout the game I was expecting something different to happen, but instead got more of the same. Same monsters, same weapons, same stupid tasks.

The first half life was probably my favorite first person shooter, it was a good mix of story, monsters, and problem solving. I guess I bought HL2 expecting something similar but instead....

Fought droves of soldiers...
Drove the airboat and buggy half way around the friggin world, jeez they were really proud of that thing...
didn't get to fight any dang aliens...

That was what really got me, the lack of aliens, all you ever got to see were the stupid zombies. And what happened to all the guns? One sappy pos machine gun. Pulse rifle? weak stuff.

I was literally so sick of this game that I got the cheats just to finish it.

I think this might be able to go in the gaming or rant section...

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
How much you pay?

Also, it isn't just Half Life 2, you get Counter Strike SOurce, Deathmatch, and Codename Gordon Freeman.

What kind of vid card do you have?

Also, wait till the end, the striders are fun!!!! And theWe Don't Go To Ravenholm was a great section! The car sucked, was fun running over Ant Lions, but really long.

But agree, more aliens, the soldiers were fun, but the aliens were the best in HL1. No Thumpers, no Tentacles, no giant monster dudes, no grunts, and no floating brains, what happend? All we had were headcrabs, zombies, howlers, and barnacles from HL1, and ANt Lions were new. No new aliens from Opposing Force, they were cool. HL2 Expansion or HL3 will come out soon, hopefully, with more aliens, either the old ones back or new ones.

More guns? Gravity gun is all you need, maybe the pulse rifle with the grenades for small room combat, but gravity gun is all you need. Oh and the CROWBAR!!!! Can't forget the crowbar.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
who needs more guns when you got a shotgun?

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I guess I kinda got hooked on the aliens in Doom 3, that game was scary and fun.

I have an nvidea 6800 ultra, got it as a graduation gift, so its on the highest settings.

I never got into CS, the whole idea was never really appealing to me.

I believe I payed $54 for it, which is a bit too much for the length of time it has been out, imo.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
you think doom3 rocks compared to hl2?
lol woot lets run around in the dark!

CS: Death Match servers are fun

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I'd just come off playing Far Cry to play HL2. Half-Life is one of my favorite games of all time, but HL2, while being very pretty, and the faces were amazing was a bit of a disappointment.

It was too easy, not enough monsters, too much repitition of bad guys and no decent weapons. I mean, I was spoiled rotten with Far Cry, which has so many cool real world weapons. Plus HL2 AI sucked the monkey. The original HL had some smart bad guys, but HL2 was full of pretty stupid soldiers, zombies, etc. Just running or standing around, waiting to be killed.

I am looking forward to the expansion packs, which should expand on the pretty graphics and cool physics engine with some actual decent gameplay.

Fingers crossed!!!

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
well imo

FPS are about online play anyways

Killing AI sucks period, give me another player to humiliate

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
You can read my doom3 review on my website linked in my sig.

I respect the topic starters viewpoint, I mean, HL2's singleplayer is more story-based then most FPS fans like. Hell, I played Painkiller and loved it, and that thing was nothing more then 5 million demons and huge bosses. I can play story based FPS's or run-n-gun Doom ones. Both work for me.

HL2's multiplayer is pretty tight. Best I've played since AvP. Lysergic and me whoop serious butt in it on a regular basis. For me, that's the selling point. Give me good multiplayer in my FPS and I'm set.

And screw the shotgun. I'm a pistol man. I love humiliating people with pistol kills.

DUDE, YOU CHEAT! PISTOLS CANT KILL PEOPLE!!!

Dude, one just did. Ever hear of strafing?

>Ban Zombie monk.

Hehe....

EDIT: HL2's singleplayer is pathetically easy. Far more then HL1 or Doom3...and you cheated? No offense, but that's sad.

[edit on 26-6-2005 by Kai-Raega]

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
What is this "strafe" you speak of?

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
that's my favorite insult.

true story: That's the conversation that got me banned from that smackdown street server i was ranked #1 out of 500-some on.

I said, "Dude, have you ever tried strafing?"

That's my favorite insult. These leet clan-kiddies get so mad when a no-name nobody comes up and spanks them.

It makes with teh cry.

Their tears taste like sex. It makes me hard. I live on their pain.
The next school shooter will go out screaming with the final words:

"SCREW YOU ZOMBIE MONK!"

My job is done, baby.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kai-Raega
Their tears taste like sex. It makes me hard. I live on their pain.
The next school shooter will go out screaming with the final words:

"SCREW YOU ZOMBIE MONK!"

My job is done, baby.

I just read that and can't stop laughing... That HAS to be be an ad in a gaming magazine.. it just HAS to... that is soooo great.

Anyway, HL2 IMO is better than Doom 3 (I have both games). I play HL2 a LOT MORE (I still haven't reinstalled Doom 3 since I reformatted my HD and reinstalled XP.. about 3 months ago).. but as Lysergic said... HL2: Deathmatch is absolute god.. especially playing with people like him is INSANELY fun.. speaking of which, I haven't done it in a while... hmmm...

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I was just in a team Deathmatch game online about a half an hour ago as of this posting. The pic here shows me single handedly turning around the team. The team I was on was made up of "Just joined the game" dudes who were going up against the other team...who were nothing but rocket whores and Script using "Nade-whores". (I hate that Grenade/grav gun changing script)

But I was hit with the rage and went on two consecutive 9-kill "Sprees of death" and helped them win in the final minute. No lie. We were down 50 kills up until my killing spree, at which time I pulled us ahead.

God, that MADVILLIAN guy was so pissed. It was his clan, his server, and he was using the rocket and grenande script the whole time. Lysergic couldn't join since the server was full, sadly. He actually won the round before this.

Check it out:

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I love HL2, but i can't stand the mess poeple make while fragging, so i cleaned up a bit

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
man that had me cracking up

well done xyzer

it's good to know someone cares!

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Xyzer, are you available next weekend? I need someone to straighten up my yard.

Excellent work! Now I feel guilty for messing things up everytime I play.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
zombeh!

lets frag

thats means

GET ON TEHXFIYAH!

[edit on 27-6-2005 by Lysergic]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
MAN MAN MAN MAN MAN...

You are on CRACK baby. I love HL2. The online action is the best part, and has really added to it's staying power despite the problems.

We should have an ATS Clan. It'd be good advertising.

Anyone have a good DM server, let me know and I'll come and stomp some folks around for ya.:bash:

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Striders are evil. I loath them. The part when you come out into the court yard with the suppressor on top of that building was cool until the striders came and owned all my freinds, then I was stuck in this bombed out building with an RPG and an attitude. And 4 health. no armor. what might surprise you, I ended up killing all 3 of them striders. and I savored each moment of their demise

then I got all cocky ran out and one of them APCs shot me with the plasma cannon style thing.

im so good arent I =P

posted on Jun, 1 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrJingles
I recently bought half life 2 expecting a great game as everyone had said it was. After paying too much for it at Best Buy and after about two days, I kept telling myself it was going to get better. Throughout the game I was expecting something different to happen, but instead got more of the same. Same monsters, same weapons, same stupid tasks.

The first half life was probably my favorite first person shooter, it was a good mix of story, monsters, and problem solving. I guess I bought HL2 expecting something similar but instead....

Fought droves of soldiers...
Drove the airboat and buggy half way around the friggin world, jeez they were really proud of that thing...
didn't get to fight any dang aliens...

That was what really got me, the lack of aliens, all you ever got to see were the stupid zombies. And what happened to all the guns? One sappy pos machine gun. Pulse rifle? weak stuff.

I was literally so sick of this game that I got the cheats just to finish it.

I think this might be able to go in the gaming or rant section...

I dont know what your talking about, I have the game but Ive encountered more Aliens. Plus they made alot of extra terrain and Ive explored it all, all of it b/c alot of the time I didnt know what to do.

top topics

join