It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice: Ubuntu and new computer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I'm going to build a new computer! Always a fun project;

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Foxconn NF4UK8AA-8EKRS Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Mainboard
2 x Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
2 x Kingston ValueRAM 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model KVR400X64C3AK2/1G
eVGA 256-P2-N370-TX Geforce 6600 256MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card

Its a really awesome system; Anyway I want to try to use Ubuntu; but I also need Windows XP on it to run my video games; I need advice or suggestions on the best way to do this; Any feedback would be great;

*** ANY HELP WITH UBUNTU WOULD BE GREAT TO I'M NEW TO IT BUT WANT TO GIVE IT A TRY; ***

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Dual Boot. Easy enough.

I recommend following the page in Ubuntu's wiki about this very subject: wiki.ubuntu.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I've read that article; I believe I am going to follow it but I read one article that said the easiest way to do it was to just install xp on 1 partition first and then on the second partition install ubuntu;

Do you believe installing ubuntu will be worth it:?

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightwalker
I've read that article; I believe I am going to follow it but I read one article that said the easiest way to do it was to just install xp on 1 partition first and then on the second partition install ubuntu;

Thats the same thing as Dual Booting, unless you mean Hard Drive instead of partition, then yes, it would be easier. But youd have to be going into your computer all the time and switching the HDDs around. Or youd have to go into the BIOS and tell it which to Boot from first. Or, yes another or, have a hard drive switcher (cant think of the actual name for it). I think the easiest way would just be to install each on seperate parition and use a Bootloader like Grub or Lilo, you can still install on seperate HDDs also.

I kinda rambled there, just ask if you didnt understand it.

Do you believe installing ubuntu will be worth it:?

No idea. Iv never used Ubuntu. Iv only used Redhat, Slack, Debian and Gentoo (which I use now).

[edit on 6-24-2005 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I believe ubuntu has arisen from debian; I'm not a linux user but would like try try Ubuntu AMD64 edition becuase I've heard XP pro 64bit is unstable; I'm venturing into new worlds in many ways with this one;

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Ubuntu with dual boot is pretty easy. When I installed it I had windows xp already installed and created a partition space for ubuntu with partition magic. When I installed ubuntu it recognised there was already a windows partition there and installed the grub boot loader which let me choose between the two.

As for whether or not its worth it ... its entirely up to you
Ubuntu is my favourite linux distro, although I always preffered Kubuntu which is just ubuntu with the kde gui instead of the gnome gui, but this is my own personal preference. I have friends who like the gnome gui better and find it more stable, but I have had no probs with kde.

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Does anyone know ifUbuntu will use the 64 bit better than XP will; Which OS do you think will make the system run the best?;

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Ubuntu is great, I've been using it for a while (with Gnome), also with a dual-boot set-up.
I believe you must install XP first, and then Ubuntu, not the other way around, that will screw up the master boot record, or so I've heard.
I don't know much about 64bit processors, but in October they'll release another version, I'm sure it supports 64 bit processors.

top topics

join