It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reported: China Launched a Long-Range Nuclear-Capable Ballistic Missile From a Submarine

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   
But the more interesting question is, How big the bomb was...?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I really don't care if you think it's a wise strategy, and it doesn't make any difference if I think it'd be their only option, it is what their stated intent was.

As far as ABM system giving the U.S. first strike ability, that is total nonsense. It isn't our past history to go around nuking countries without just cause, and so far, we haven't nuked these little unstable nations who are a threat to our safety, so why should we start now? Furthermore, just because you are paranoid that we would do that doesn't mean that if we have the technology, our government has the obligation to build it and protect the citizenry from the likes of China, North Korea and Iran.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I seriously doubt that China would directly attack US forces unless it was already engaged in a fight with the US. It's true the US has treaty obligations to protect Taiwan, it remains to be seen how enthusiastically they will be fulfilled, especially if Taiwan takes some precipitous action like a formal declaration of independence.

China is not going to attack the US and Japan in addition to Taiwan, especially not with nukes. They will have enough challenges fighting the Taiwanese themselves, they don't need to add two large, wealthy, high-tech countries with large navies to the equation if they don't have to. You might see something like that once the fight started going badly for them, but not at the outset.

I think China's most likely military option WRT Taiwan is a blockade, with a threat of follow up conventional missile strikes if their desired concessions are not granted by a given deadline. They're not going to start by hurling nukes at the US and Japan, they may not be the most humane .gov on the planet, but they've never demonstrated anywhere near that kind of recklessness, or stupidity for that matter. The retaliatory nuclear strikes from the US would make the matter of Taiwan pretty much moot.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
China is not going to attack the US and Japan in addition to Taiwan, especially not with nukes. They will have enough challenges fighting the Taiwanese themselves.

How do you figure?

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
I really don't care if you think it's a wise strategy, and it doesn't make any difference if I think it'd be their only option, it is what their stated intent was.

It would help if you could post an official CCP link stating as such.

[edit on 6-8-2005 by LemonAide]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   

How do you figure?

Taiwan has a sizeable and modern military, it will not be an easy nut for the Chinese to crack, even without US assistance. China has a massive edge in manpower, the trouble is getting all that manpower across the Straits.

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   

As far as ABM system giving the U.S. first strike ability, that is total nonsense. It isn't our past history to go around nuking countries without just cause, and so far, we haven't nuked these little unstable nations who are a threat to our safety, so why should we start now? Furthermore, just because you are paranoid that we would do that doesn't mean that if we have the technology, our government has the obligation to build it and protect the citizenry from the likes of China, North Korea and Iran.

Ok then, no problems there i guess.

Just don't complain when other countries repeat your stance and a new arms race develops. You can't have it both ways, you can't say that you have the right to develop these weapons and bypass treaties while other countries cannot.

As for past history, its a moot point. The only nukes that had being used were in WWII.

[edit on 6-8-2005 by rapier28]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LemonAide

It would help if you could post an official CCP link stating as such.

[edit on 6-8-2005 by LemonAide]

It would help in what way? This info is about 5 years old, their goal for preparedness is next year. I read about this 5 years ago, and, by what was said, should indicate why it stuck in my head through the last five years.

Again, whether or not they do this is not something I, or any of us, is in a position to do any more than speculate. Assume they don't, assume they will, call them a liar, take them on face value, it makes no difference.

It might be a shock, but not everything that is said is recently found on the internet and as a result be found from a provided link.

Wish I could help, but that is all I have. If you knew how many head injuries I've sustained in the last 10 years, you'd be pleased I was able to retain this info!

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Wish I could help, but that is all I have. If you knew how many head injuries I've sustained in the last 10 years, you'd be pleased I was able to retain this info!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join