It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debate Tournament Commentary

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I am so glad I'm not in the first clump of debators. Between having to go against two of my best ATS buddies (Off_The_Street and MemoryShock) AND last debate's champ, I have no idea how I'd make it through to the finals.

Which isn't a slam against my current group that I must contend with. It's just that I actually believe I might have a chance, however slim, of making it to the final round.

Well, regardless, I made Vagabond a promise to win the tournament so he can say he was beat by the champ. So unless you guys want to purposely hurt his feelings, and make me look like a liar, I suggest you all of you just forfeit all the rounds to me to make it easier. Can we assume this is mutually agreed upon?

Either that, or perhaps put me on the supporting side of a really easy debate each round, like "Are Nazis Bad?" and my position is "Yes, they are."

That cool with everyone? That'd be greeeeeat...

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
In light of this morning's terrible events in London, if any involved in the debates are there, or have family there, I would like to propose that the debates be postponed.

If none of us are from there (I'm not) or have family there (I don't) then I'm cool with continuing as is, but at the very least I want to extend both my symapthies, and my prayers for our brethren overseas.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I have no living family in England. Even if none of the debater's have been affected, I am perfectly willing to observe a day of "silence" before the debates.

[edit on 7-7-2005 by ktprktpr]

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ktprktpr
I have no living family in England. Even if none of the debater's have been affected, I am perfectly willing to observe a day of "silence" before the debates.

I concur.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Count me in.

I don't think it is appropriate to start the next round today. Let's give it a few days out of respect.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Yeah, out of respect and sympathies, let's give it a couple of days... maybe start the next round on Monday?

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
Either that, or perhaps put me on the supporting side of a really easy debate each round, like "Are Nazis Bad?" and my position is "Yes, they are."

That cool with everyone? That'd be greeeeeat...

If we're gonna have Nazi topics, I think Godwin's Law has to be official and enforced, just to make it interesting.

Anyway, I can hardly feel bad about losing to Libra in my first ever ATS debate. I figure that my own poor organization (the result of inexperience with the word limits among other things) contrasted against the good form of a capable opponent made things pretty rough for me.

I do however recommend that you guys prolong this tournament as much as possible. When this debate tournament is over, I'm going to start snatching innocent fighters off the streets and dragging them in for grudge matches to gear up for next time. (On the matter of prolonging, I am not at all refering to our pause in recognition of today's events- I would never joke about such a thing).

And on that last sad note, my sympathies to anyone who may be fearing for the safety of loved ones right now. I'll try to spare you any conspiracy theories on the subject for now and simply offer my best wishes for the citizens of London.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Myself, I don't think it is really needed. I'm from Britain and used to live in London (waiting on someone to phone me if she's O.K.) however the Capital is Business as usual. The clubs/pubs, etc, will all be open tonight and we will go back to normal. For a lot of people in London this is nothing new. We have had this for years. (I.R.A.) however, if someone has lost someone then I could see time being needed for them.

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I think we should continue as planned....short of a "fighter" involvement over in London.......the topics have already been released and I for one will not beneift from a day of respectful silence as I would from a day of respectful research........

My thoughts are with those who are experiencing rough times, but as a veteran of rough times, I can say that the best thing is to get moving and start assimilating the events......if that makes sense.

As for an across the board forfiet to thelibra........

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
We'll keep the deabtes open, opening statements are still due in at 1600 GMT July 8th.

In honour of the english way, we'll 'Carry on in quite desperation'

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Can we have some kind of debater selection of topics next time? Sometimes these topics severely disappoint me and I've been at least 3 ats debate tournments (I think).

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Can we have some kind of debater selection of topics next time? Sometimes these topics severely disappoint me and I've been at least 3 ats debate tournments (I think).

Hah! My topic combined with my given position is such that I indeed shall illustrate just how red the sky truly is.........

[edit on 7-7-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jul, 7 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Yeah I beter wipe my ass real quick cause i'm ...

It's okay. Only the strong survive and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. When a man enters a room he better be the only one that leaves alive. I was born a survivor so i'll beat my way out of this one as well .... *sigh*

*teeters off rocker....*

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Question: Do formatting things, like "[ quote ]" tags and the like count against the word count? I doubt it, but if I get close to the max words, I just wanted to know for sure. Thanks!

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   
We have to seriously revise debate topics and how they are handed out. I am for one am sick of consistently recieving the poison chalice in debates.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by howmuchisthedoggy
We have to seriously revise debate topics and how they are handed out. I am for one am sick of consistently recieving the poison chalice in debates.

Sometimes you have to defend views you do not like, it's part of the process. It would be near impossible to give people a debate where they both like the subject and the angle they get to take on the subject.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
This is, without a doubt, the single most depressing subject matter I have ever researched... I feel like curling up into a little ball and crying myself to sleep. There's no way in hell we're going to be able to replace oil. I'm even TRYING to find ways to support howmuchisthedoggie's side, and after all the analysis, the best I can come up with is recommending that everyone buy a gun with one bullet when the oil dries up.

I'm going to go drink myself to sleep now.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I feel like crying myself to sleep for different reasons.......or punching the wall a million times over........my laptop just putzed out on me and I have no idea how to fix it......I'm on a different computer right now and the only reason I can post my 1st arguement is because I saved it to a 3 1/2 floppy...sans 100 words, which I needed...

Here's hoping that I can make it work out.......

Edit.....Not to trivialize your reason, thelibra......not in the least......

[edit on 8-7-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
This is, without a doubt, the single most depressing subject matter I have ever researched... I feel like curling up into a little ball and crying myself to sleep. There's no way in hell we're going to be able to replace oil. I'm even TRYING to find ways to support howmuchisthedoggie's side, and after all the analysis, the best I can come up with is recommending that everyone buy a gun with one bullet when the oil dries up.

I'm going to go drink myself to sleep now.

I thought I was alone. It is a topic that is hopeless to defend. I know in a debate you have to sometimes take a stance contrary to your own views, but how do you defend against something that is so overwhelmingly true? Anything I can think of is just a sham and a lie.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I had a tough time my last debate, where I wanted to debate in favor of globalism; my opponent wanted to debate against it, and we both ended up debating something which neither of us bought in to.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join