It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debate Tournament Commentary

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I wasn't 100% sure if it meant you had to round off your arguement without passing comment back on his, so that the last poster doesn't get an advantage.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Nonononono, you can rebut, of course. It means that after your closing statement, that's all you get to say. If I say, in my closing statement, that Springer is a virtual idiot with no grasp on economics whatsoever and deserves a censure, then too bad for Springer because he's already made his closing statement and won't get to say "Umm, no?"

In other words, post as you would. You'll realize that you can't post anymore when it's over.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
...blast, should have read this before composing my response...Really tiptoed around addressing contention. Ahh well, like my final statement says...

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Now that I'm finished with this debate, I have a request for future debates. Could we start them on Mondays in the future? For the most part my schedule, as I'm sure most people's are, is pretty steady, whereas the weekends are pretty darn chaotic. Were I to have known it was going to start last friday, I probably wouldn't have participated because I had a huge family reunion over the weekend with many people over from out of town. Due to that, I wasn't able to focus as much time on ATS as I'd have liked, and I'm sure it was apparent in my posts.

If we start on Monday, it's possible to complete the debate by the weekend, while everyone's schedules are steady. Even if it does extend into the weekend, there'll be a week's notice, so people would be able to set aside time to play (mine was an exception, couldn't have gotten away from all the whole fam-damily.)

Just an idea for more heated and researched debates in the future

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
JJ,
Who's Monday? GMT time or how about Taiwan?
The reason that I ask, is that my wife's family is in Korea so I have ot deal with not only differing timezones but differing days

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
on average, it takes the judges (or, at least, the time to get the final results) to decide who the winner is three days...

right???

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
On average? I have no idea. Go count if you'd like.

On average, they take a little while. It definitely helps when the debates finish around the same time as each other, though.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
On average? I have no idea. Go count if you'd like.

On average, they take a little while. It definitely helps when the debates finish around the same time as each other, though.

yeah sorry about "on average"

i meant "usually" i guess...

i looked at past debates and saw that it usually took 3 or less days...

so i assumed...

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012
JJ,
Who's Monday? GMT time or how about Taiwan?
The reason that I ask, is that my wife's family is in Korea so I have ot deal with not only differing timezones but differing days

There's a 24 hour window after the contest starts for your first post, so what about midnight Monday GMT?

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
KtprKtpr- love the pimp hand thing. ROFL.

libra... the chewbacca thing wasn't bad either
. Imagine the coincidence- Chewie (yes, derived from chewbacca) was my nickname in highschool.

One thing I have to say though... wouldn't it be more accurate (from a starwars perspective) for the "Chewbacca Defense" to be the tactic of threatening to rip your opponent's arms out of their sockets if you lose (for those of you who haven't seen starwars- perhaps you recently abandoned the amish lifestyle or something- i'm talking about R2 and Chewie playing that chess-like game in episode 4)

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
We're done, hope you enjoyed the show folks.

-tips hat and exists stage right-

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
One thing I have to say though... wouldn't it be more accurate (from a starwars perspective) for the "Chewbacca Defense" to be the tactic of threatening to rip your opponent's arms out of their sockets if you lose (for those of you who haven't seen starwars

I think the Chewbacca defense would be more something like confusing your opponent by waving your hairy arms around and making "gyarrrrr gyarrrrhhhrgh" noises like a female grizzly bear in heat.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
my debate is over...

i can only hope that i win...

i hope you enjoyed reading it!!!

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
my debate is over...

i can only hope that i win...

i hope you enjoyed reading it!!!

What will you do if you win?

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
Now, being a recent specialized science and math high school graduate who happens to enjoy, go figure, computers...

Wait, are you talking about me or you?

But anyway, between work, school and well...not working, I really didn't have time for the debate and shouldn't have signed up in the first place.

So ban me.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
"It's over now, the music of the niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!" quoth the phantom.

Heh, Andrew Lloyd Webber meets Edgar Allen Poe.

EDIT: I would just like to say, win or lose, I am probably the first debat(or? er? Hate not having word at home...) ever to close their arguement with a quote from Family Guy! Rock, rock on! Heck, I may even be the only one ever for the lifespan of ATS! Now if only I could get a picture of Odium posing in underwear to use in a televised campaign ad...

Great job, by the way, Odium!

[edit on 6-28-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
What will you do if you win?

i will be happy that i actually won a debate against a GREAT debator...

is this bad???

why do you care anyway???

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I'm sure that picture already exists online.
And no none of you weirdos can have it.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I really bonked on this debate. Work has been a bear lately, but I think I'm recovering strong. One thing I've found about missing one response is that you lose alot of rebuttal, and since you had less building time, your opponent can have MORE building time because the spend LESS time on the rebuttals. I like to think, though, that I'm at least making it interesting.

Tell me if I'm wrong though. I'll bring a rubber chicken for my closer.

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Bummer, huh Loki? It's like, I almost feel bad, but, like, not really.
It really does kill ya.

JJ - Finish a debate in a work week? Possible, as shown by these, but there's a maximum length of roughly ten days. It'll stray towards that end far more often than five days.

The Chewbacca Defense (if you read the link) is from South Park. The Wookie Defense, Vagabond, would be the arm ripping. (yes I remember the game)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join