It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debate Tournament Commentary

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Anyone can at any time submit any topic they'd like to see debated. There's no guarantee you'll get yours, but if you submit enough good ones, well, you can do the math.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
[whine]But I wanna have it different![/whine]

Now then, can I get that cheese? I have some crackers here and could really use some cheese, so hopefully you're giving out something good. When can I expect my cheese, Amory? Hopefully before lunch...

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
And so ends another round...

Should I manage to eke out another round, some debate topics I would like to see are as follow:

1.) In a fight using no advanced technology weapons, who would win, a genius astronaut or a strong caveman.

2.) Icee vs. Slurpee

3.) Ben & Jerry's vs. Blue Bell

4.) Cowboy vs. Pirate - Who would win?

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
1. Depends how smart the caveman is. If he's figred out how to use bones and rocks as weapons of miniscule destruction, he's got an O.K. shot. The genius/modern man would most likely, however, roll 1d20 and fgure out to just hide and sneak up on the dude with a rock.

2. Slurpee.

3. Ben & Jerry's. That's like asking "Who would win, A Divine Being or my Toenail?"

4. That's a good one, but the pirates would get it. 'Cause pirates are freakin awesome. Pirates V Ninjas would be an interesting debate though for obvious reasons.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
And so ends another round...

Should I manage to eke out another round, some debate topics I would like to see are as follow:

1.) In a fight using no advanced technology weapons, who would win, a genius astronaut or a strong caveman.

2.) Icee vs. Slurpee

#1) :shk: did you not see the ST- TOS episode where Kirk builds a cannon out of vines, diamonds and a big piece of bamboo?????

#2) Slurpie (Icee tastes really bad)

#3) Ben and Jerry's But my choice would be Haagen Daaz

#4) :shk: Cowboy, why the pirate was pulling out his sword and saying Arrrrrrrrrr, the cowboy would shoot him

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra

Clearly, the Pirate as he would fire the cannon from yards away and kill the puny cowboy. -shakes fist-

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Are the pirates wearing lace? Cause then they would be sissys and would lose hands down to the leather-smelling cowboys.

However, if the pirates were flintlock toting, bandana sporting, ARGHHHHING pre-industrial gangbangers of the high seas, then the cowboys would be too scared to show up. Authentic pirates are scary #.

Modern Indonesian/Chinese pirates Vs. the Alien - I've got my money on the pirates.

So yeah..lacey pirates have no game.

Oh, and space pirates Vs. space cowboys, Pirates all the way!

Some topics I'd like to see, for the record

"The energy and manpower costs of cleaning up industrial waste and heavy metal contamination outweigh the health and environmental benefit of doing so."

or..

"Mankind has fallen from an evolutionary precipice due to environmentally-unconscious sexual selection and advances in medicine."

or..

"Mankind has secured his place on this planet by exterminating other species, rather than acting in an altruistic fashion, war is the (un)natural evolution of our species."

or..

"Most mental illnesses are a symptom of modern society."

Those would be fun.

Honestly though, I don't have too much of a problem playing Devil's advocate, it's a challenge to flesh out a paradigm not your own. If more people engaged in such excercises, there would be substantially less partisan extremism polluting our societies.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I dunno, my money would be on that space cowboy, Lonestar! After all, he has hyperjets on that thing!

On your point of playing devil's advocate, Wyrde, I agree with you 100%. It forces you to get an idea of where and why someone who disagrees with you is coming from (

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
One question I would love to see debated is "What is the line between defending your country and war monging?"

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
If we start on Monday, it's possible to complete the debate by the weekend, while everyone's schedules are steady. Even if it does extend into the weekend, there'll be a week's notice, so people would be able to set aside time to play

I take this back, there's definate advantages to posting over the weekend.

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Depends on how they start out......if they pace out ala duel then the caveman would win........more developed physicality......though if the genius astronaut is wearing anything shiny, then the certainty of the victorious caveman goes down directly proportional to the luminescence factor.....

2.) Icee vs. Slurpee

Icee......unlike the other option, it doesn't refer to "derogatory excretion".....

I have never heard of Blue Bell, so I would undoubtedly have to figure out a way to support it as the superior of the two...

AaaaRrrrrrr......You be kidding me, matey! Thar be only one obvious winner thar.........

FTR.........some topics I would like to see up there.........

"Is the Manchurian Candidate Physically/Technically Possible?"

"Do the Illuminati exist today?"

Or some variations on these..........

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Some more debate topics for consideration:

1. The construction workers on the second Death Star knew they worked for an evil organization, thus they were not innocent parties and their deaths were excusable from the perspective of the Rebellion.

2. Emperor Palpatine let Mace Windu beat him in order to play the ruse on Anakin.

3. Luke was a stronger Jedi than Darth Vader.

4. The Dark Side of the Force is more effective in combat situations.

5. Jar Jar Binx played an important role in the events of the Clone Wars and ultimately the balancing of the Force.

6. Ewoks are a force to be reckoned with, and if they had ever achieved space travel, they would have whooped *** all over the galaxy.

7. The greatest one line actor in all the Star Wars films was the guy who said, "You rebel scum."

8. Emperor Palpatine had a "thing" for Anakin, and later Luke.

9. Han Solo looked better as a wall ornament.

10. Anakin could make more than two facial expressions.

11. Wookies evolved from semi-intelligent, bipedal floor rugs.

Hey, hey...I'm serious!
Why does nobody ever appreciate my input?!

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
How about a debate about military troop increases?

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
yea lets get some real debate topics posted here, to inspire the mods or something. I think kano has a master list of decent ones ... I don't know where it is though.

Some subject matter to explore:

1. The balance between privacy and national security (has nor has not been violated)

2. Is pre-emptive war ever justified?

3. Role of NGOs more positive or more negative in supporting emerging nations?

4. Oil should continue to be traded under the U.S. dollar

5. Computer programming should be a licensed profession (hahahah)

any others?

EDIT- btw i ahve submitte dthese

[edit on 11-7-2005 by ktprktpr]

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
niiice ktprktpr...

and you are a "24" fan...

this is always good

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I like number 4 especially, ktprktpr.

The problem with all of yours, wcip, is that most of the aren't arguable. One side or the other is too definitevely true and there is very little that can be done to debate it.

Then again, you know what they say about sith...

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Just saw this in the news (mayeb I'm slow):

6. The UN Secuirty Council should be expanded per the G4s recomendations.

"Brazil's UN envoy Ronaldo Mota Sardenberg on Monday introduced the draft from the so-called G4, which calls for enlarging the Council from the current 15 members to 25 by creating six new permanent seats without veto power and four non-permanent seats.

The G4 countries are pressing for an early vote on the draft, which is co-sponsored by 23 countries including France, possibly as early as late this week.

Sardenberg said the security structure established in 1945 when the UN was created was "now glaringly outdated""

english.aljazeera.net...

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
That's me done and dusted. I know I moaned about the topic at the start, but I take it all back now. It was fun when I got into it. It was my first proper ATS debate and I must say it was excellent fun. I am knackered but exhilarated and I look forward to the next chance to compete.

If I am forced to bow out now, it doesn't matter, I really enjoyed myself.

Thanks TheLibra et al!!!

[edit on 12-7-2005 by howmuchisthedoggy]

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ktprktpr
1. The balance between privacy and national security (has nor has not been violated)

2. Is pre-emptive war ever justified?

These would be crackers of debates! I would love to do either side of number 2.

4. Oil should continue to be traded under the U.S. dollar

I like this one as well. Only thing is I hope to never do a debate regarding oil again for a looooong time!!!!

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Both of these are highly conditional. If it were a land battle, a Cowboy would win, hands down. A sea battle, the pirate would be the obvious winner. However, my money would generally be on the cowboy as they had a technological advantage (repeating rifles and pistols) vs. the one-shot guns the pirates had. That and cowboy sabers were made from fine steel, whereas most pirate weapons were crappy mends and poor quality.

As for caveman vs. spaceman, I'd say again, it's conditional on the area. In a closed arena, the caveman would have the distinct advantage. However, the larger the area, and the greater number of objects the spaceman has access to, the less of a chance the caveman has. Think...MacGuyver vs. Conan the Barbarian

2.) Icee vs. Slurpee

Slurpee. Icees have almost no flavor.

The fact that anyone could ever think, in a million years, that any ice cream is superior to Blue Bell is an outrage! AN OUTRAGE I SAY!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join