It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: 5 Marines killed in Iraq car bombing Including 3 Women

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
A suicide bomber has killed 5 U.S. marines in Baghdad today. Three female Marines were among those killed. So far over 44 females serving in the U.S. forces have been killed. The truck which was attacks was transporting a U.S. military civil affairs team to assist with the searches of Iraqi women at checkpoints.

www.msnbc.msn.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq - A suicide car bomber slammed into a 7-ton U.S. military vehicle in Fallujah on Friday, and Marine sources told NBC News that five Marines were killed and 10 others wounded.

Three of the dead were female Marines and two male, the sources said. Earlier reports said all five were women.

In any case, a review of casualty records indicates the attack is the single deadliest toll for female servicemembers in Iraq. Since the war started, 44 female soldiers have died in attacks or in accidents while in Iraq.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While females have been allowed in front line combat units for some time now (This was not per say a frontline unit) it is still shocking to me to see the reports. I fully support the practice but still cannot rid myself of my ingrained perspective when I see these type of stories. While it is easy to sit here as an armchair General, better protection needs to be afforded to transport units on the ground. There were 19 people in this truck and the loss of life could have been much greater. In fact why not fly them to the location? Despite the threat of MANPADS, it may be safer.

[edit on 24-6-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 26-6-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
There is no front lines anymore, the enemy can pop up at any place any direction and any time... We need to get our troops back really soon...

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Why does it even matter if the dead are male or female? They're American soldiers. Any furhter qualification is for drama and emotional spin, and detracts from the real issues.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet
Why does it even matter if the dead are male or female? They're American soldiers. Any furhter qualification is for drama and emotional spin, and detracts from the real issues.

Why does it matter that they're American? Do you value their lives more than other countries soldiers who are stationed there?

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Women in Iraq are more protected and not particularly in harm ways when it comes to the front lines.

They are usually in the bases and not to wander around without a convoy and for a particular mission.

The missions may included certain duties with civilian females that male soldiers prefer not to get to close to it, like searching female and routine searching in homes where females Iraqis may be alone.

To me this looks like the convoy was targeted due to the fact that the female soldiers were in their way to help in the city.

The Terrorist knew that and that is why they targeted them.

Occurs this is just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
They are Marines no matter race or gender. I as a veteran am sadden at the lost of anyone; man or woman.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet

If you read my commentary, as I said, I support women in any combat role. However, having grown up in a different environment, I still takes me aback. There is no spin here. 3 of the dead and many of the injured were females. That is fact. I was shocked to hear of it. That too was fact. Its a matter of perspective and at 36 I grew up in a reality (since changed) that women were relegated to MASH type units and not the front line. As with anything it takes time to get used to it.

And as the other poster put it: They were all Marines.

top topics

join