It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Italian Judge Orders Arrest of 13 CIA Agents

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Thirteen CIA agents have been ordered arrested by an Italian Judge. The agents have been implicated in the seizure of Egyptian-born imam identified as Abu Omar in the city of Milan in 2003 and deporting him to Egypt. The seizure part of U.S. anti terrorist efforts did not have the approval of Italian courts. Omar was flown out of Italy using the Aviano air base.

news.yahoo.com
ROME - An Italian judge has ordered the arrest of 13 agents for allegedly helping deport an imam to Egypt as part of U.S. anti-terrorism efforts, an Italian official familiar with the investigation said Friday.

The agents are suspected in the seizure of an Egyptian-born imam identified as Abu Omar on the streets of Milan in February 2003, according to the official, who requested anonymity because he was not authorized to release the information.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Funny, nations do not like operations being run buy other countries on their soil. While I support the war on terrorism, I draw the line at this. Italy is a coalition ally and is not a state supporter of terrorism. Why not coordinate with the Italian police? Was it really the CIA or was it Rumsfield's own hit force? Looks like they took a page from the Mossad book.

[edit on 24-6-2005 by John bull 1]

[edit on 25-6-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Ouch, damn those activist Italian judges!

Those CIA officers will never appear infront of Italian judges. The Italian government and judiciary are as corrupt as they come. Money will grease these charges right off the books.

Although the Calipari incident could well see these charges stick and something come from this statement.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Or in Italian giudici dell'italiano dell'attivista

I wonder if the religious right will set up pickets to demand that activist judges world wide step down

No doubt the CIA agents are long gone and it is doubtfull they will ever step foot in Italy again.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
So basically, they went into Italy.
Arrested someone without letting the Italian Government know?
Deported him from an American Air Force base?

I so hope they do get locked away also I best go lock the door.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Seized is more accurate and then deported them to Egypt. Not sure If I would want to spend time in an Egyptian jail

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The mob is orginally from Italy, if needed I am sure those CIA agents can be taken care of from right here in the states. It's called family.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv
The mob is orginally from Italy, if needed I am sure those CIA agents can be taken care of from right here in the states. It's called family.

Okay put down the Godfather DVD. I doubt highly the the Cosa Nostra could come close to putting a hit on a CIA agent. Can you imagine the heat that the FBI would bring to bear if that came to pass?

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Sounds like somebody really spilled the beans about a covert operation. The fact that one woman heard the abductee call for help certainly didn't give the judge the number of people involved nor the particulars of how the man was transported to Egypt--No, someone has talked. There is a lot more to this story that hasn't been told.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Or in Italian giudici dell'italiano dell'attivista

I wonder if the religious right will set up pickets to demand that activist judges world wide step down

No doubt the CIA agents are long gone and it is doubtfull they will ever step foot in Italy again.

Or any country that delivers to italy. (which until yesterday included the US)

[edit on 24-6-2005 by Moretti]

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Add to that the certainty that it is the CIA and it's even more obvious. Could be a number of things:

1) The "victim" got himself in trouble and did the "blame America" thing, knowing it will be accepted without much question.

2) CIA had permission by someone to operate, and for political reasons, an Italina opposition party withdrew the permissions, and is using this to promote their anti-coalition stance for an upcoming election.

3) the CIA is getting so bad at doing their jobs that the Italians of all people are able to intercept this much intel from a botched operation.

Originally posted by Astronomer68
Sounds like somebody really spilled the beans about a covert operation. The fact that one woman heard the abductee call for help certainly didn't give the judge the number of people involved nor the particulars of how the man was transported to Egypt--No, someone has talked. There is a lot more to this story that hasn't been told.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
There is history here.

The Italians are fed up with being taken for granted.

There was that whitewash that cleared two pilots after they took out the mountain cable car which killed quite a few ppl and the recent episode in Iraq where a security man protecting a released hostage was shot dead. Hundreds of thousands of angry and emotional Italians lined the streets.

FredT says

Seized is more accurate and then deported them to Egypt.

These terms are only applicable if the the legal procedure has been followed.

So where you see "seized" read kidnapped and where you see "deported" read whisked away.

There is no doubt this is criminal activity and I'm sure the Italians will pursue this. Who knows there may be diplomatic consequences (US airbases anyone ? )

The big question in my mind is, did the U.S government ask for extradition officially ? Were they turned downand then turned to criminal alternatives ? Or maybe they figured legal extradition meant they couldn't get the guy to Egypt where they could torture him.

No doubt the neo cons on the board will find some justification and the US public won't hear about it. After all he was a Muslim and in the eyes of the neo cons anyone who follows that faith is fair game.

Hold on !! wasn't that what the Germans felt about the Jews in the 1930s ?

But don't mention the N word !!!!!!

New
American
Zionist
Imperialists

*Cough !*

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer68

It's really just the tip of the iceberg, or Gulag, as Amnesty adequately termed it. You mean there are a lot more stories like that in Europe, yes. It's just unformtunate that torture victims complain about their treatment

There are similar cases going on in Sweden and Germany (and Canada?). If you want to assess the whole extent of CIA "extraordinary renditions" of european citizens and on european soil, you might want to check the log books of the charter planes used by the CIA in these processes, who point to several hundred victims in total. Destinations flown to by these torture planes include f.ex. Uzbekistan, infamously reknowned for their practices of human boiling. Eyewitnesses also testified of electroshock torture.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
One of the UK guys who was in Guantanamo accused of helping the Taliban in Afghanistan was kidnapped from Pakistan in a similar way another guy who had lived in the UK and is still in Cuba was taken from an African country.

You've heard of Medican Sans Frontiers ? Well we have Torture Sans Frontiers.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
You've heard of Medecins Sans Frontieres ? Well we have Torture Sans Frontieres.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This infringes on Italy's soveregnty... what was the CIA thinking, that every coalition country was America, Part 2? Without a local government's approval, things like this shouldnt happen...

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I had a thread which I think gives some backstory to these arrests here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have to say I'm a little annoyed it's still in "submission" status. It seems that even on ATS we're a little slow to pick up on trends before they amount to a big story. I was watching this issue and posted the article with the expectation that arrests would eventually be made. I guess I reported too soon...

Anyway, enough pompousness from me. If anyone was going to beat me to this story, I'm glad it was FredT

-koji K.

[edit on 24-6-2005 by koji_K]

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Wasn't there also a thread somewhere on ats wherein plane spotters (who keep logs of takeoffs and landings at airports around the world, as a hobby) noted that corporate jet for the mets took off from the US, landed in cairo, all around the time that this guy was 'moved'? And that the Mets noted that they do let the plane out?

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
We need facts like:

1. Was the Abu an Egyptian citizen or Italian at the time?
2. Is our extradition treaty in place with Italy and was there signoff on this op at some point along the way by the Italian gov e.g. their CIA equivalent that I'm sure the judges would be unaware of?
3. Did the Abu do some bad in Egypt that they wanted him back and what is the status of their extradition treaty with Italy?

Do not spout off on big bad USA until you know the facts of the case and a news report are NOT facts....

I still think we are being too nice. Should have just capped the guy but I guess the intel value was worth it in some way but still they should have let him go and then capped the guy. Didn't the CIA spooks watch Swordfish..??

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
An ATSNN article posted last week displayed that this was going to happen.

Sweden was altering and creating laws to stop US agents from legaly doing this and there were some other nations mentioned to have criminal investigations in these types of kidnappings on their soil.

The world is fed up with the bully behaviour of the US it seems and now they'll start enforcing their laws or create laws surrounding these kinds of activities.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   

There is history here.

The Italians are fed up with being taken for granted.

There was that whitewash that cleared two pilots after they took out the mountain cable car which killed quite a few ppl and the recent episode in Iraq where a security man protecting a released hostage was shot dead. Hundreds of thousands of angry and emotional Italians lined the streets.

What happened in the shooting of the Italian Secret Service Agent in Iraq was an accident....and why was it an accident?...because the Italian government did not inform the rest of the coalition what they were going to do..... They decided to do it all alone and not tell anyone about it, and to make matters worse they sped the car and did not stop when US forces told them to stop, not thinking that suicide bombers have been doing exactly this for over a year to coalition forces..... but of course the Italians can do this right?...it wasn't their fault, it was all the US fault.... NOT....

BTW...care to provide evidence that there were hundreds of thousands of angry Italians who took to the streets?..... or is it more of your bull?....

No doubt the neo cons on the board will find some justification and the US public won't hear about it. After all he was a Muslim and in the eyes of the neo cons anyone who follows that faith is fair game.

Hold on !! wasn't that what the Germans felt about the Jews in the 1930s ?

But don't mention the N word !!!!!!

New
American
Zionist
Imperialists

*Cough !*

I don't think we know the full story yet, and I am not certain we will ever know....

Anyways....somebody is full of bull *cough*....

If the CIA was going after this man in particular is for a reason...not just because he is a Muslim....

[edit on 24-6-2005 by Muaddib]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join