It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(business) Co-Op Bank Dumps Christian Voice Group (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   
The Co-operative Bank in the UK has closed the account(s) of the evanglical group Christian Voice. The bank states that the groups stance on homosexuality does not sit within the ethical framework of their diversity and dignity policy.

news.bbc.co.uk
The Co-operative Bank has asked an evangelical Christian group to close its account because of its anti-homosexual views.
The bank said the opinions of Christian Voice were incompatible with its support for diversity.

Christian Voice said the bank, based in Manchester, was discriminating against it on religious grounds

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The main concern here in the UK seems to be, is it acceptable for a bank to pick and choose their customers on ethical and moral issues.

My personal opinion is that no bank should be forced to provide service to an individual or group.

Christian Voice claim it is an infringement of their human rights however since Christian Voice is not an individual how can this be? Furthermore, there are many other banks that Christian Voice can choose from.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Christian Voice has no rights when it comes to banking. The banks are business' and therefore have the right to make a success.

The possibility of alienating a group of people is not in their best interest.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   

The main concern here in the UK seems to be, is it acceptable for a bank to pick and choose their customers on ethical and moral issues.

Is it a government bank? Does it receive government funding? If not, then of course they can pick and choose who gets to have accounts with them.

Christian Voice said the bank, based in Manchester, was discriminating against it on religious grounds.

So? Christian Voice discriminates against people based on religious grounds.

[edit on 24-6-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
This bank is owned by its customers, kind of like a credit union.

I find it fascinating every time I learn of a story like this. Although most stories of banks closing accounts over ethical issues seem to strike me as having originated in the U.K., this actually happens all over.

Hudson United Bank Closes Islamic Center's Account

Mexican bank closes down bank accounts of human and civil rights organisations

Barclays closes BNP accounts after secret film exposes racism

Zip

top topics

join