It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raytheon Plans High-Power Microwave System To Protect Civil Airplanes

page: 1

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 02:55 AM
Raytheon has used microwave pulses to shoot down MANPADS type missiles. The pulse that can be directed down one degree of arc can damage the electrical components of the SAM. This is part of the companies Vigilant Eagle system that is designed to deal with the threat posed to civil aircraft as they take off and land. This system makes far more sence than to try to retrofit such systems on existing airliners. Takeoff and landing are when they are at risk from these systems not when they are cruising at 40K feet. Unless Bin laden gets his hands on some SA-2's or something.

In a series of closely guarded tests, Raytheon researchers have shot down a variety of shoulder-fired antiaircraft missiles--the nightmare of airline operators--with pulses of microwave energy at a distance of several miles.

While the actual ranges involved and the test site are still withheld, it is known that the prototype high-power microwave (HPM) weapon, with its energy focused within 1 deg., sends an electrical pulse through the enemy missile's metal parts and into its computers and guidance system. For a split second, that spike is strong enough to damage electrical components and scramble computer memories so badly that the missile flies off course and ignores the aircraft it has targeted
Can cook more than popcorn

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 03:53 AM
I have heard of this...and I agree with you. It would cost far more money to put an radar jamming device on every single airliner. It makes more sense to have this system at every major airport in the US.

RPG's and such are pretty easy for a terrorist to get there hands on...But to get a Surface 2 Air missile into the United States would be far far more difficult.

Its estimated to cost 10 billion to install a missile defense system to all of the nations commercial planes. Homeland Security has spent 120 million into the idea of missile defense system on every commercial jets...BTW, thats 6,800.
What is this thing hits a airliners...with all there tech and fly-by-wire what will happen?

This thing kind of sounds like it does the same thing as a EMP...except its fucused.

But overall...I like this approach better then the Northrop Grumman's AN/AAQ-24. I think companies like Northrop are working on this idea instead of Raytheons approach is money, since i'm sure Northops system of R&D and production, retrofitting, etc, will add up far more then one system per airport.
I hope Homeland Security start to shift the money towards this (Raytheon) system over Northrops...I hope I dont see this one all the airliners in the future.

new topics