It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi aircraft buried in sand..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Check this out..

www.acig.org...

Tell me what the hell is this about? What is the meaning / point..?

If it was do to hide these from US.. would it just been easier to BLOW THEN UP? Cause now they are just captured and send back to US to tests..

[Edited on 13-8-2003 by Uninen]

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It looks like they were draped in plastic before being buried. I would guess that Saddam wanted to hide them from eyes above and dig them out later. But satellites would�ve certainly seen them burying 40 airplanes. Very strange.

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Finders keepers!!
They were obviously trying to save them for later figuring Sadaam would rise again.

FLAK BAIT

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Finders keepers!!
They were obviously trying to save them for later figuring Sadaam would rise again.

FLAK BAIT

Be assurd that Saddam is no 'Lazarus.'

"The desert sands hold many a wonderous sights...."

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Whatever the Iraqis were planning to do, it makes no tactical sense in the short term. If they had left the aircraft in view, they would have been blown to pieces in the opening seconds of the war, but then they might aswell have been, as they'd get little use out of buried planes. No bunkers and no runways suggest that they were not planning to use them in the near future.

This story does however, shed light on Saddam's plans for a resistance movement. The only way the Ba'athists could have used these planes to regain power is if they had waited quite a long time for the Americans to start to pull out, or leave altogether. The plastic wrapping suggests they planned to leave them there for a long time aswell. Of course, Saddam's minions didn't make a very good job of hiding their planes.

By finding this stash, I think the Americans have dealt a major blow to the Ba'athist resistance movement, but there is still a long way to go. They're fighting an unseen enemy remember...

[Edited on 13-8-2003 by CiderGood_HeadacheBad]

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 03:08 PM
link   
If Iraq indeed had WMD:s even in 2002-2003.. they mihgt be buried in same fassion as the aircraft.. just in some more remote and secure location..

In US there is this VERY LARGE desert site in witch over 4000 aircraft (planes and choppers..) are stored.. in dry dersert air they "remain" in very good condition for long periods of time.. but i doubt that BURIED IN SAND has same effect.. i would imagene that the BURNING HOT DESERT SAND destroys / damages sensitive aircraft electronic very quickly?

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uninen
.. i would imagene that the BURNING HOT DESERT SAND destroys / damages sensitive aircraft electronic very quickly?

Beneath the surface of the sand, it's not so hot at all. Ever tried burying your feet into the sand on a beach to keep them cool? Or maybe a canned drink? It does work.
The plastic wrap on those aircraft would also go towards protecting them from the long term effects of being buried in the sand.

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 04:15 PM
link   
www.acig.org...

This article is about Bosnian Serbs helping Iraq to maintain and modify weaponry.. Aircraft and SAM:s..

It is good to see that the supposed "bad guys" also know the meaning and importance of team play..

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Very interesting. It seems like the Iraqies did not really know what they were doing.

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 04:32 PM
link   

If Iraq indeed had WMD:s even in 2002-2003.. they mihgt be buried in same fassion as the aircraft.. just in some more remote and secure location..

In US there is this VERY LARGE desert site in witch over 4000 aircraft (planes and choppers..) are stored.. in dry dersert air they "remain" in very good condition for long periods of time.. but i doubt that BURIED IN SAND has same effect.. i would imagene that the BURNING HOT DESERT SAND destroys / damages sensitive aircraft electronic very quickly?

The process is called mothballing and the location you are referring to is here in Arizona at Davis Monthan AFB. It is not the heat that destroys parts, but the suns ultraviolet rays. The UV rays damage very quickly all acrylic, plastic, and rubber.

Here is a site with a short rundown on the process.
MOTHBALLING AT DAVIS MONTHAN

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 05:01 PM
link   
groingrinder.. i know the facts about the US "burial ground for planes" the planes are speacially treated and so on.. (some equipment is removed and they are covered by this layer of white material glassfibre or plastic..) and the location of this site was selected cause the air is allmost perfectly dry there.. no moisture.. so the planes arent corruptet either..

But please remember.. I am from Finland.. all this info of all the matters i know about, is in Finnish in my head.. and complicated things are sometimes HARD to explain.. in ENGLISH..
As i dont like to use dictionary all the time..

Btw there is also modern aircraft stored there, for examble all the embargoed Pakitani F-16s are held there..

[Edited on 13-8-2003 by Uninen]

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Very Wierd! If they were going to use them again they would have needed a complete overhaul before flight, and satalites definatly would have picked out aircraft being burried. either that or saddams pilots never got around to the chapter on "Landing an aircraft safely"

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 08:44 AM
link   

It looks like they were draped in plastic before being buried. I would guess that Saddam wanted to hide them from eyes above and dig them out later. But satellites would�ve certainly seen them burying 40 airplanes. Very strange.

That's probably why we found them...(satellites)

We'll be turning up things hidden in the sands, for some time to come I think... Rather primitive tactic, but for every find we make, how many more caches go unfound???

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 10:43 PM
link   
www1.iraqwar.ru...

Buried SU-25..

[Edited on 21-8-2003 by Uninen]

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 11:03 PM
link   

thats right, we dont know what else they have buried out there but SOME people just KNOW saddam couldnt have buried anything....since they have staunchly defended the "he doesnt have anything to begin with" stance they have had since day one.

of course being able to find small portable containers buried in the sand in an area the size of texas is not an easy task so those who were expecting hard evidence a week after the war started have been and will continue to be unrealistic and as a result near impossible to actually converse with about this.

this is yet ANOTHER example of erring on the side of caution and assuming he did have these things rather than not. (i dont believe in assuming but in this case, better to be safe than sorry)

he has lied to the world many times before so who would believe him when he said he didnt have any AFTER openly declaring all he had 12 years ago? more importantly WHY would anyone believe him? maybe some people's hatred for a certain poltician and his political party has clouded their judgement.

i have a feeling we'll be pulling all kinds of things from the sand for a long time to come. this situation cant be taken care of in a few short weeks or even months. having to scour all over an entire country looking for these things is going to take a lot of time.

of course i keep saying that if we had simply done away with him 12 years ago we wouldnt be having this problem right now but hey, hindsight is always 20/20 isnt it?

but i'm sure bush bvashers will just say "well the military planted them there" and then stomp off in an indignant manner feeling smug they KNOW the answers when the truth is none of us know with ANY certainty whats in that country still, whats under the sand or whats been moved to others countries when noone was looking.

those WMD he openly declared 12 years ago didnt disappear on their own. they had to go somewhere and they didnt vanish into thin air or evaporate.

posted on Aug, 20 2003 @ 11:05 PM
link   

thats right, we dont know what else they have buried out there but SOME people just KNOW saddam couldnt have buried anything....since they have staunchly defended the "he doesnt have anything to begin with" stance they have had since day one.

of course being able to find small portable containers buried in the sand in an area the size of texas is not an easy task so those who were expecting hard evidence a week after the war started have been and will continue to be unrealistic and as a result near impossible to actually converse with about this.

this is yet ANOTHER example of erring on the side of caution and assuming he did have these things rather than not. (i dont believe in assuming but in this case, better to be safe than sorry)

he has lied to the world many times before so who would believe him when he said he didnt have any AFTER openly declaring all he had 12 years ago? more importantly WHY would anyone believe him? maybe some people's hatred for a certain poltician and his political party has clouded their judgement.

i have a feeling we'll be pulling all kinds of things from the sand for a long time to come. this situation cant be taken care of in a few short weeks or even months. having to scour all over an entire country looking for these things is going to take a lot of time.

of course i keep saying that if we had simply done away with him 12 years ago we wouldnt be having this problem right now but hey, hindsight is always 20/20 isnt it?

but i'm sure bush bvashers will just say "well the military planted them there" and then stomp off in an indignant manner feeling smug they KNOW the answers when the truth is none of us know with ANY certainty whats in that country still, whats under the sand or whats been moved to others countries when noone was looking.

those WMD he openly declared 12 years ago didnt disappear on their own. they had to go somewhere and they didnt vanish into thin air or evaporate.

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Nice.. you double posted..
But personally, i think that WMDs will never be found as the werent any.. and i think that whole "IRAQI FREEDOM" is the most sinister war crime since 1945..

But enough of this..

Here i want more pics of those buried planes.. and if possible some explonation for reasons they were buried..

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I guess it's a moot point now, but the Iraqis honestly thought they had a chance to fight back, in the beginning. So, I think that their logic was that if they hid their planes, the US would be lulled into a sense of security, then they would dig 'em up and bomb the crap out of the tanks and infantry.

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 12:22 PM
link   
If the Americans didnt find any plannes carrying WMD you can bet your top dollar that they will fit WMD to the planes and claim they were equipped with them.

posted on Aug, 21 2003 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loki
I guess it's a moot point now, but the Iraqis honestly thought they had a chance to fight back, in the beginning. So, I think that their logic was that if they hid their planes, the US would be lulled into a sense of security, then they would dig 'em up and bomb the crap out of the tanks and infantry.

That would actually make some sense..
And that would also mean that Iraqis did not anticipate the losing control of these bases.. and that the planes were intended to be buried for some weeks.. moths tops and not years..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join