It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US concludes probe on Reuters Attacks. Conspiracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Calculated violence against journalists ?

A US military investigation has concluded that American soldiers who fired on a Baghdad hotel used by journalists during the war had strong reason to believe that hostile forces were in the building

In the immediate aftermath of the attack, the Americans claimed that they were being fired on from the hotel.

However this version of events was disputed by some journalists who were there.

It seems that the claim of direct fire from the hotel has now also been dropped.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Also, what is highly strange, the investigation does not seem to mention the rocket attacks on AlJazeera and Abu Dhabi TV on the very same day.

I hope we'll find some more comprehensive information source.

[Edited on 13-8-2003 by Mokuhadzushi]

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Now wait a minute....
I thought the Evil American government controlled the media??????
I wish you would make up your mind.
You can't paint the US as evil in everything. Just pick a side and stay there please

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 02:40 PM
link   
This post kinda reminds me of an old trucking slogan or saying...."hurry up and wait"...

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 13-8-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Sorry guys, but i think it's interesting to measure news propagation time on US-unfriendly issues

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mokuhadzushi
Sorry guys, but i think it's interesting to measure news propagation time on US-unfriendly issues

Two simple points

If you are riding with a group of people in a tank, and that tank gets shot after firing on the opponent, is that the your fault, or the tank commanders, or the enemies?

Second, link please, I won't believe it until i see it.

Thanks

_the Wiz

[Edited on 13-8-2003 by Shining Wizard]

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mokuhadzushi

Ain't no biggie Moku...we just messin with you till the confirmed reports start rolling in.

regards
seekerof

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 03:08 PM
link   
the U.S. should have done it after they posted the pics of dead captured soldiers. lmao,
maybe we'll get to see some pics of dead journalists.

yea.

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 03:09 PM
link   

[Edited on 13-8-2003 by Hyperspace]

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Not seeing any link for this yet, it's hard to make concrete points without proof. In the future please post the link with the story so that it can be reviewed by the group. Please study before you pass judgement.

Thanks

_The Wiz

As for this

www.msnbc.com...

Kill 20 on my friends and I may do the same thing. Most of us haven't been to war, to cast judgement on solders like MOKU does, is flat out evil.

zed

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fury
the U.S. should have done it after they posted the pics of dead captured soldiers. lmao,

yea.
We did in Japan. Some Japanese journalists were in the same hotel when it happened and rushed in with a cam corder. They aired it on Japanese TV when they got back.

Apparently the tanks were there for some minutes before they fired and all that time they were being filmed. Noone saw anything fired at them from the hotel.

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Of course they're going to say that. They're not going to admit that US forces intentionaly fired at journalists.

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The best thing is that on the same day , some hours earlier, AlJazeera and AbuDhabi TV were attacked by rockets. Obviously you can't blame it on the soldiers. If all these TV stations were attacked on the same day, it's a result of orders to do that, the coincidence of soldiers feeling menaced by TV stations on exactly the same day would be rather improbable.

[Edited on 14-8-2003 by Mokuhadzushi]

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Please provide a link, I want to read about this, I must have missed it.

Thanks

_The Wiz

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Is that the tank came under fire....so then they looked around for the ones doing it, and spotted a guy leaning out of the window with a shoulder-mounted device which glinted in the sun....

Thinking this was a Stinger, they opened fire...then it was discovered that it was a cameraman, not a missile launcher.

Mistakes happen in war...as you don't have the luxury of a lot of time before deciding to shoot or be shot at....*sigh*

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Are you a fan of Civilization? I think that's where your avatar came from, correct?

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 09:28 AM
link   
query.nytimes.com...

From the NYtimes archive :
FOREIGN DESK | April 9, 2003, Wednesday
A NATION AT WAR: THE ATTACK; 3 Journalists Die in U.S. Strikes on 2 Baghdad Buildings

By JOHN F. BURNS (NYT) 778 words
Late Edition - Final , Section B , Page 2 , Column 3
ABSTRACT - American tank opens fire on Palestine Hotel in Baghdad, killing journalists Taras Protsyuk of Reuters and Jose Couso of Spain's Telecinco; journalist Tariq Ayoub is also killed in American strike on roof of building housing offices of Al Jazeera television; US military initially says attacks were prompted by gunfire, but does not repeat that claim in later statement; photos (M)

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 09:35 AM
link   
For the link.

No of us know the complete circumstances though, it's just one man's word, at least it appears that way to me.

zed

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Is that the tank came under fire....so then they looked around for the ones doing it, and spotted a guy leaning out of the window with a shoulder-mounted device which glinted in the sun....

Thinking this was a Stinger, they opened fire...then it was discovered that it was a cameraman, not a missile launcher.

Mistakes happen in war...as you don't have the luxury of a lot of time before deciding to shoot or be shot at....*sigh*

That sounds more likely than they came under fire.

From memory though, in the Japanese footage, they had been parked on the bridge pointing at the hotel for a few minutes before they fired.

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 03:30 PM
link   
So somebody in the Palestine Hotel shot at a tank so they lobbed a shell into it? They didn't send in troops to flush out the sniper?

asia.news.yahoo.com...

""We continue to warn people, we continue to warn news organizations about the dangers," she said.

"We've had conversations over the last couple of days, news organizations eager to get their people unilaterally into Baghdad. We are saying it is not a safe place, you should not be there.""

This is from Pentagon spokeswoman Victoria Clarke.

Read between the lines.

news.ninemsn.com.au...

"Military officials offered different explanations for the attacks.

Brooks initially said the hotel was targeted after soldiers were fired on from the lobby. Later, he told reporters, "I may have misspoken."

US Army Col David Perkins, commander of the 3rd Infantry Division's 2nd Brigade, which deployed the tank, said Iraqis in front of the hotel fired rocket-propelled grenades across the Tigris River. Soldiers fired back with a tank round aimed at the Palestine Hotel after seeing enemy "binoculars", Perkins said.

More than 50 news cameras were set up on hotel balconies when the tank fired, according to Associated Press photographer Jerome Delay. "How can they spot someone with binoculars and not (see) cameras?" he asked.

Journalists said they heard no gunfire coming from the hotel or its immediate environs. They had been watching two US tanks shooting across the al-Jumhuriya bridge, more than a kilometre away, when one of the tanks rotated its turret toward the hotel and fired."

Do you believe the military or do you believe dozens of reporters?

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fury

yea.

Again.. just how stupid are you? Killed soldiers are the WAR. US allways shows DEAD "ENEMIES" so it is right to show dead AMERICANS ALSO.. But KILLING CIVILIANS IS A CRIME EVEN IF IT IS BY ACCIDENT.. i havent seen any US TROOPS IN COURT FOR THIS.. or for all the earlier ATROCITYES.. why is that? SAME RULES FOR EVERYBODY..

top topics

join