It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The difference between maffia and mobb

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Is there a difference? A diffrence other than loction?

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngelaLadyS

I believe the mafia refers to the Italian Mafia specifically. The mob could be any gang of thugs, crooks or villains. The word "mob" has often been used to describe a group of rioters or protesters.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
So the mafia would be the Italian side of the family, and the super rich and deadly guys would be nothing more than drug lords then?

Uma

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Here is an article on the mafia, which is specifically Sicilian.

www.bestofsicily.com...

Of course in the USA the mafia refers to any Italian organized crime syndicate.

Notice that we also have gangsters or "the mob" of other national origins here in the States. Besides drug rings, they also run protection schemes, money laundering, illegal lottery (my mom used to play "the numbers"), restauants, prostitution rings, etc.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   
there is absolutly no difference what soever...if someone tells you differently they are lieing. mafia and mob both refer to ORGINIZED crime...that's all...could be italian, mexican, or russion. any type of ORGINIZED crime. anyone who disputes this can contanct the federal officers training center in Artesia, NM. at least there's where i learned everything i know about the "mob".

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by AngelaLadyS

um, those are just words used to describe them........

They don't use those names them selves....

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Yes, there is a difference, as stated before. Mafia refers to Sicilian Organized Crime.

Al Capone tried to join the 'mafia' family, but what not permitted, because he was Calabrese.

Al capone was mob. Big Jim Colosimo was mafia.

Perfect example was the movie "Good Fellas". The real Jimmy Conway was Irish. The real Henry Hill was only half Sicilian. Both were not permitted in the mafia, although they worked with them.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq
Yes, there is a difference, as stated before. Mafia refers to Sicilian Organized Crime.

Al Capone tried to join the 'mafia' family, but what not permitted, because he was Calabrese.

Al capone was mob. Big Jim Colosimo was mafia.

Perfect example was the movie "Good Fellas". The real Jimmy Conway was Irish. The real Henry Hill was only half Sicilian. Both were not permitted in the mafia, although they worked with them.

ok so what your saying is that the federal agents who studied and are experts on this subject were.....wrong? so your saying my instructers are liers?

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   

ok so what your saying is that the federal agents who studied and are experts on this subject were.....wrong? so your saying my instructers are liers?

not necessarily. perhaps you have a flawed understanding of what was presented.

There are several " Mafias". In the days of yore it was primarily the Sicilian/Itialian mafia, primarily east coast , and Jewish Mafia ( Meyer Lansky comes to mind) midwest. as I recall the "turf wars" of Capone were centered around the power struggle between these to " organizations".

today The Mob, The Mafia, The Organization, are used interchangeably as is
La Cosa Nostra. Imo these terms are used not as definitions but in the same way many words in Native American languages are used, to convey concepts
and ideas.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by umwolves123

Yes, I am saying they are wrong.

Feds seem to classify any organized crime group as 'mafia', and that just isn't the case.

Biker gangs are an organization too. But I would not class them as mafia.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq

Yes, I am saying they are wrong.

Feds seem to classify any organized crime group as 'mafia', and that just isn't the case.

Biker gangs are an organization too. But I would not class them as mafia.

i'm a fed, and i've NEVER classified bikers as "mofia", we only classify "mofia, and mob" from ORGINIZED crime. and ya know man i think these guy sare experts, so something tells me they are right and your well...NOT.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
You're both right, you're both wrong, and you're both acting ridiculous.

en.wikipedia.org...

The term 'Mafia' unless qualified, refers to the Italian families. If qualified with "Japanese" or "Chinese" or some other word, the term "Mafia" simply means any organized crime syndicate.

According to Wiki, the term Mafia may have originally meant flashy or glitzy, so it really does apply to all gangsters equally.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   

i'm a fed, and i've NEVER classified bikers as "mofia", we only classify "mofia, and mob" from ORGINIZED crime. and ya know man i think these guy sare experts, so something tells me they are right and your well...NOT.

C'mon guy, this is a serious board, not a role playing game. Please get with the program or let the adults have their time.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Yeah and i'm part of an underground E-terrestrial agency and we call feds the mafia and the citizens the mob.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wisdumb
Yeah and i'm part of an underground E-terrestrial agency and we call feds the mafia and the citizens the mob.

i'm not FBI dont misunderstand me. i am a federal officer though, all i know is what i learned at the academy in artesia, NM. that's all i'm symply saying.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Traditionally and historically, “Mafia” or Mafioso refers to the Sicilian organized crime groups. The “Mob” tends to be more of an American version, though mostly just “not Sicilian”.

American culture & slang have allowed the two to become almost interchangeable. Add to that decades of “other” cultures organized crime groups (China, Japan, Greece, etc…) and you have two words whose true meanings matter very little, except for history books.

Still, any instructor teaching “feds” would have surely covered that on the first few days of class. It seems those classes were missed along with Basic Grammar & Typing 101. “IF” you are a “fed”, maybe that explains the current condition of our security…

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jake the Dog Man
Traditionally and historically, “Mafia” or Mafioso refers to the Sicilian organized crime groups. The “Mob” tends to be more of an American version, though mostly just “not Sicilian”.

American culture & slang have allowed the two to become almost interchangeable. Add to that decades of “other” cultures organized crime groups (China, Japan, Greece, etc…) and you have two words whose true meanings matter very little, except for history books.

Still, any instructor teaching “feds” would have surely covered that on the first few days of class. It seems those classes were missed along with Basic Grammar & Typing 101. “IF” you are a “fed”, maybe that explains the current condition of our security…

you say that is if i'm FBI, i'm simply a federal police officer, that's all. i'm not a very good typest or speller.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:45 AM
link   
"i'm not FBI dont misunderstand me. i am a federal officer though, all i know is what i learned at the academy in artesia, NM. that's all i'm symply saying."
Dude, I am just being dumb and felt like saying something stupid and didn't mean harm towards you....I'm new here and I don't even know how to quote so i am sorry. No offense meant and hope none taken.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wisdumb
"i'm not FBI dont misunderstand me. i am a federal officer though, all i know is what i learned at the academy in artesia, NM. that's all i'm symply saying."
Dude, I am just being dumb and felt like saying something stupid and didn't mean harm towards you....I'm new here and I don't even know how to quote so i am sorry. No offense meant and hope none taken.

none taken at all...and FYI if you want to quote what someones says, there's a box in the upper right corner of each persons bost that says quote all you have to do is hit that.

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I think this was explained very well when Wyrde said "without a qualifier, it's Sicilian," except for when it's assumed.

Hi. I'm in Russia. The mob is after me. (Russian Mafia)
Hi. I'm in Russia. The mafia are after me. (Russian Mafia)
Hi. I'm in America. The Russian mafia is chasing me. (Russian Mafia)
Hi. I'm in America. The mob is after me. (Sicilian Mafia)
Hi. I'm in America. The mafia are after me. (Sicilian Mafia)
Hi. I'm in America. The Jewish Mafia is chasing me. (fill_in_the_blank)

It's pretty straightforward. In answer to the question posed in the topic header, "The difference between maffia and mobb," I would say that, no, for most purposes, the two words can be used interchangably.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join