It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuke Alert!! Soviet Republic WMD alert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I was talking with a friend of mine, and he alerted me to this link.

www.spacewar.com...

I've read quite a bit about the theory of the ex Soviet Republic selling WMD's (nukes) to terror cells. While this link lends credence to this theory, I would still like to know more.
The fact that this is coming forward is a good thing. That being said, if they are telling us this, how much aren't they telling us.
I think you know what I mean.........

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Here is an excerpt from the link provided by SD

Guards thwarted two attempts to penetrate storage sites for Russia's nuclear arsenal, where the "human factor" remains a weakness in security, the top general responsible for storage of warheads revealed Wednesday.

The two incidents in 2002 and 2003 involved lone suspects caught while trying to enter sites "in the European part of Russia," General-Colonel Igor Valynkin told journalists in Moscow, without providing further details.

Valynkin said the two had been handed over to the Federal Security Service "and I do not know their further fate."

In sharp contrast to alarming reports from some Western nuclear security experts, Valynkin said that he was "100 percent" satisfied with levels of protection of the arsenal.

In reading it, it would seem that the security is satisfactory. The fact that the words "human factor" were used is what I see as a red flag. The way I read it is this, and this is a simple analogy most people will understand. If a pretty woman comes along and flaunts her stuff, as a general rule men will do things they usually won't do to score points with her. The fact that this is coming out, especially with Valynkin saying that he was "100 percent" satisfied with levels of protection of the arsenal, sounds like a cover up, with some bad news about to become public.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
There have long been stories about Russian nuclear leakage as a result of degrading command and control and poor working conditions for the Russians. America is currently giving money to Russia throught the Cooperative Threat Reduction Program (also known as Nunn-Luger) to help them increase security and decrease the chances of either nuclear weapons or fissile material from getting out to non-state actors.

Russia isn't stupid, they will not just allow terrorists get nuclear weapons, because for all they know those same weapons could be passed to rebels in Chechnya or other former soviet republics who would love nothing more than to wipe them off the map. It is a cause of concern, but don't lose too much sleep over it.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
true the russians Do have a vested interest in this issue

those rebels in Chechnya would nuke moscow in half a second if they had the chance

i do think russia has done a great job protecting their old nukes
So Far.....

i hope they can keep it under control....

new topics

top topics

join