It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are the prisnors at Gitmo kept alive?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
One questions why the U.S is doing so much to accomadate the needs of prisnors at gitmo. The goverment knows the terrorists would not do the same for our boys overseas. They would tortured and executed. The terrorists at gitmo if realeased will mostly go back to there old countries or iraq and reenlist in the insurgency.Unlike former prisnors of war like the germans or japanese captured who were touched by american kindness, the terrorist at gitmo complain constantly of koran abuse (they were trained to). Many german and japanese prisnors elected to stay in the u.s. as they liked the country. Most of the prisnors at gitmo are guilty of war crimes. They use human sheilds, kill civlians who cooperate with america, and don't wear uniforms.US prisnors in iraq could not hope for lawyers to defend them or the media to expose there torture. They are burden to the war effort and if found guilty by a MILITARY tribunal should be executed. The few who talk should be given multiple life sentences like german spies.

[edit on 23-6-2005 by bushfriend]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Thing is, some of them have been held for years now. Why have they not been convicted of anything? Surely they were arrested for terrorist activities, where is the judgement? Surely it can't take years to prosecute someone if they were truely caught commiting crimes of terrorism.

TPL

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
What some were innocent?

Although i'm sure there's some evidence on most if not all linking to them terrorist activities it has to be concidered.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Those people have families who would seek revenge for their deaths.
I think some of that may be happening now with persons who were in Fallujah.
Just look at how many US deaths are in the Al Anbar province after that assault.

Another problem might be instilling a fear in all Iraqis and Afghanis that they must fight to the death rather than be captured or detained, because using your plan, detention means certain death.

No one would ever surrender.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

No one would ever surrender.

well it seems to me not many of the top terrorists leaders agree with that, i guess they believe that Allah would pound on them if they get aniwhere near paradise for killing fellow Muslims.
in anicase they say they aint afraid to martyr themselves but they themselves surrender wen they are caught.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by bushfriend
One questions why the U.S is doing so much to accomadate the needs of prisnors at gitmo.

Because it's humane and required by law. So for a country that's... like... you know... a beacon of democracy shining from a house of freedom on top of a hill under a clear night sky with a thousand point of light it doesn't seem so odd to me.

The goverment knows the terrorists would not do the same for our boys overseas.

Especially after all those pesky pictures and reports eh?

The terrorists at gitmo if realeased will mostly go back to there old countries or iraq and reenlist in the insurgency.

Yeah...payback's a bitch.

Unlike former prisnors of war like the germans or japanese captured who were touched by american kindness,

Have you ever spoken to a Japanese-American old enough to remember the internment camps?

the terrorist at gitmo complain constantly of koran abuse (they were trained to).

They were trained to complain? That's some military strategy on their part eh?

Many german and japanese prisnors elected to stay in the u.s. as they liked the country.

It wasn't hard for some of them since they had already been there most of their lives anyway. You do know about the internments camps I mentioned above right?

Most of the prisnors at gitmo are guilty of war crimes.

That's right! I remember those trials all over the news about that guy who used to be black but now is white and likes to sleep with boys and that run-away bride and that brain dead woman... oh wait... when were those trials again?

They use human sheilds, kill civlians who cooperate with america, and don't wear uniforms.

War's a bitch ain't it? Good thing there are people to support it or we wouldn't have any cool toys.

US prisnors in iraq could not hope for lawyers to defend them

Neither can those in NWO Gulags it seems.

or the media to expose there torture.

Yeah not like your mainstream media who are all over your Government - damn liberal media.

They are burden to the war effort

Yeah live people are not what you want to get out of war.

and if found guilty by a MILITARY tribunal should be executed.

I see your pro-death - exactly what you accuse others of being. What do you call that again?

The few who talk should be given multiple life sentences like german spies.

Speaking of Germany... I can't wait for the US version of the Nuremburg War Crimes Tribunals.

Love President Bush?
Support the war?
Patriotic American?

Well your country needs you more than ever.
Go here.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
An idiotic and shameful post.

Remember this post next time you're bleating about seeing your dead on TV / wondering why there's so many of them. I don't expect you to get the point but maybe a nurse or someone can help you try and see the implications of your prejudice

Why not kill the disabled too eh? gays, unemployed, brown people, mexicans? Ginger people, lefties, long-hairs? All muslims, jews, catholics, short people?

If I were American I'd be ashamed of being associated with you.

As a human being I'm ashamed of being associated with you.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I suppose the concept of actually proving guilt goes out of the window, eh?

Exactly how do you, Original Poster, know the guilt of those detained at Gitmo?

Kindly explain, as I'm not seeing the link.

Unless you're that infamous fly on the wall?

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
Thing is, some of them have been held for years now. Why have they not been convicted of anything? Surely they were arrested for terrorist activities, where is the judgement? Surely it can't take years to prosecute someone if they were truely caught commiting crimes of terrorism.

They have been convited!! They were on the battlefield fighting us. They carrying out terrorist attacks. That is why they were put in GITMO. How could they have a real trial?

Also, they are being kept alive so we can gain information from them, plus we can't just kill them thats not right.

[edit on 23-6-2005 by Boatphone]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Their mostly killing creeps, but not proven so. So how can death be administered then?

Dallas

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
It's always been this way lol..

We do it because, *gasp* we aren't just there to torment the people!

Think about that one for a while =X

-wD

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Sad, just very truly sad. This is what the next gen of Americans think, then is it any surprize that the world seems to favour China over the US?

Sad, but Nemisis- hubris.

Those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   

They have been convited!! They were on the battlefield fighting us. They carrying out terrorist attacks. That is why they were put in GITMO. How could they have a real trial?

Also, they are being kept alive so we can gain information from them, plus we can't just kill them thats not right.

No. They have not been convicted.

The premise is they are meant to be charged and tried - this hasn't happened yet.

More to the point though, if prisoners have already been released (which they have), this further supports the notion that some are innocent.

So. Are you just going to recommend executing all of the detainees, regardless of their presumed innocence or guilt, without any convictions at all?

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
It really is hypocritical to shoot and bomb the hell out of the enemy and then capture them and give them shelter and good food.

Especially since the prisoners are usually the one shooting back and using terrorist tactics while innocents are getting killed right and left.

BUT.. If they have yet to be proven of anything they should not be killed, they are innocent until proven guilty. Of course I don't even agree with the war in the first place, so mabye the ones fighting back to protect their families are not the guilty ones?

It's a tricky and confusing thing, but giving the enemy good food and shelter while innocents are bleeding in the streets really is disgusting.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
The worst I've heard from Gitmo is far better than the treatment the U.S. government handed me at Marine basic training 30 years ago.
The people that hate America are always looking for fault and never considering the good.
Or they are just trolling for responses on ATS

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
People, there is nothing new about keeping prisoners of war. There is little difference between what is happening now and what has always happened. Until the war is over, POWs don't get to go home (although I think something like 200 of them have been sent home.)

You want to know what sickens me? Americans on either side of this argument who are more concerned with foreign POWs than the American POWs that have still not been accounted for. It is good to worry about the welfare of those captured, but don’t do it because it’s all the rage. You bandwagon patriots and bandwagon anti-nationalist alike need to remember the service men who fought in many foreign wars last century and never made it home. Some of us were flying the POW flag before it became cool to care and we will continue with our efforts when you have forgotten and move on to the next cool thing to be aware of.

Vietnam may still not have ended for some, and it is a shame we have moved on without finishing what we never should have started.

Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Cavscout,

Don't assume that showing concern for one group means the other group is being ignored.

That's generally not how it is. I'd bet not a day goes by when most of us aren't wishing for the safety and wellbeing of those troops out there. Does this mean we can't also be concerned about foreign POWs? No, of course not.

Please, don't patronize those of us who understand loss, have dealt with such losses personally, and who still have perhaps opposing opinions relating to the topic.

There's another bandwagon we might want to avoid. That's the one labelled "making irrational generalisations which might not apply".

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by bushfriend
One questions why the U.S is doing so much to accomadate the needs of prisnors at gitmo. The goverment knows the terrorists would not do the same for our boys overseas.
[edit on 23-6-2005 by bushfriend]

It's the same old empty retorich used by neo-cons.
Listen, give the 'Terrorists' $250 billion dollers and i bet they would get uniforms, they would get better guns and laser guidied bombs, they'll build a multimillion doller prison for their POWs and they'll start fighting back in a way in which an army does.

Until then, realise your fighting civilians who are trying to rid a country and eventually an entire region of a hundred billion doller invading force the best way they can. That's via intimidating methods, homemade bombs, 30 year old weapons etc etc.

What do you expect from them? You constantly state they aren't covered under the Genva convention and human rights so what rules do they have to follow exactly? Where's the rule book written by America that we can give to the insurgents and the CIA sponsered Terrorists so they fight in a way that doesn't upset the poor Americans?

You don't realise that America hasn't even come close to seeing the damage they are causing. If what has happened so far is a shock to you then you in for a nasty wake up call in the next few years. These people are desperate but they are no way near the end of their tether.

They live in third-world conditions, they can survive that without any problems but how will America react when it goes through a major economic depression? You have no hope at beating these people because they ARE harder and stronger than you and for each one you kill, another takes their place - the same can't be said about America, therefor you will lose unless you change your ways quick.

[edit on 23-6-2005 by TheShroudOfMemphis]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
does anyone else think that the prisoners at gitmo might be receiving mkultra-style brainwashing? many of the captured have been released, someone said it was 200 or so. and this was presumably only after they were subjected to weird, psycho-sexual torture (which is what reminds me of mkultra). could those that have been released be intended to carry out errands for those who brainwashed them at gitmo?

ok, i know it's a stretch, but it would seem to follow the typical modus operandi of the military commanders.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Can you imagine if these people were around during WWII?
Man all those hundreds of thousands of lawyers to defend the POW’s people dividing the country in times of war, all of those protest to denounce the flame thrower all of those protest complaining about fire bombings and the nukes. Large scale bombings being stopped because of protest and complaints against our government.
We would have never won WWII, we would be speaking either German or Japanese. But because everything that was necessary was done no matter how harsh, the war was won and rather quickly. How can we expect to win this war on terror if we tie up our own hands?!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join