It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: International Poll Reveals: World favors China over USA

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally submitted by Odium
Muaddib, this article only speaks of American and China so stick to the topic?

Then other members such as subz should stay on topic huh?, instead of trying to get the topic off tangent.

And also those posts do not link to any thing detailing dates or names of people, only assumed numbers.

The only false assumptions made in here by anyone was Moretti's claim that in the US there are death sentences being carried only for minor infractions and only for robbing banks.

(It was actually Moretti and not you, for the misunderstanding i apologize)

[edit on 23-6-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
My claim?

Where did I post false information?

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 06:56 PM
link   

And to be classed as a "re-offender" you have to serve and be released, those who get killed do not factor into it. Sorry to inform you of this.

Care to explain what in the world you are talking about in the above statement of yours? what's a re-offender?...

About the misunderstanding of who made the false statement refer to my previous post.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Main Entry: reoffender
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: a person who violates a law again; also written re-offender
Example: The reoffender will be severely punished
Definition from:

Basically, due to the fact I'm training to be a Barrister (higher level lawyer in England, Wales and the European Court of Justice and Human Rights) one aspect of my course is to talk about crime, prevention and the Prison system. The way to measure a "good" penal system is by how many people leave it and re-offend. The higher the rate the worse the system is.

Now to be classed as a re-offender or to be eligible to be classed as a re-offender you have to serve all of your sentence and be released into the "Public". If you're put to death or placed in Prison for life without parole you are not eligible to be placed on this list, even if you do an offence while in Prison as you're under the "Duty of Care" of the Prison system and the State. Hope that helps to explain things?

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
yay for the world?

Honestly, who cares. China depends on the U.S. and the U.S. depends on China. So really, the only person we (The U.S.) needs to care about is China!

Let me guess? This poll was taken by the French, German, and Russian people right? Hmm..not suprising seeing that they were gaining $30 billion a year before the U.S. took out Saddam.

hmm..

-wD

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   

The way to measure a "good" penal system is by how many people leave it and re-offend. The higher the rate the worse the system is.

First time that i hear that repeated offenders are called re-offenders. You did not explain before what you were talking about, that's why i was confused as to what you were talking about. Thanks for the explanation.

Anyways, if it is true that the higher the rate of re-offenders is, the worse the penal system, then China is the best country in the world, as normally there are no re-offenders since most of them are sentenced to death.

[edit on 23-6-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Also if you'd read it, you would see "popularity" in Russia is "increasing" it is what the article means by "bouncing" back - did you read it?. They also say it is a problem with the Government and not the American people. As well as listing several Nations, including those who joined in on the War in Iraq and those who were against it and from all of the world.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
This shouldn't be suprising, how many wars has China actually started lately?
The last one was in 1979 (Vientam invasion), and they screwed it up royally and gave up on the idea. How many wars have we started since then? A half-dozen or so?

Saying that the US is militarily more agressive than China is not evidence of some pervasive "anti-Americanism", it is simply a recognition of a fairly obvious historical fact. It's just as easy to recognize that the US treats it's own citizens far better than China does.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Actually, the Chinese tend to have a lower re-offender rate due to the fact they work the Prisoners. Instead of them getting a nice warm cell, with a T.V. and X-Box (which is what they get in the U .K.) they make them do labour jobs, like working in fields, building or mining. Which is what rapists, muggers, etc, should do. I doubt many people can argue that point?

Also the Chinese Government has been putting a lot of money into making the Prison system and Justice system more reprosentative, no longer do they tend to worry about killing those who are pro-democratic, they have the media dig dirt up on them and ruin them like we do in the west.

Also every single Prisoner, tends to be re-educated and once they leave the Prison they have their record erased from Public viewing so that they can get most jobs (within reason, they can't teach childre, work in care homes, etc.) Also many of the points like "human-harversting" they have been attempting to get rid of, although in some respects why should a murderer not be used to save the life of a child?

If you look at the life people get in Prisons now, it is becoming a joke. to me it sickens me when a Rapist in the U.K. is worth 4 children, by Government spending.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx

Why does China have few inmates? do you even know why?

Because they kill most of the people that are sentenced, including for selling pot, or other drugs and for having large amount of drugs, and for being pro-democratic also.

You say that like execution is a bad thing. Hell, the American justice system doesn't even work. AT least in China, you know if you killed someone, your family was going to get charged for the 7.62 they wipe your brainpan with. Yeah, I feel sorry for the innocents, but you know what? A lot of the time, they have the right idea.

You murder someone, you die.

You rape someone, you die.

And, as for drug dealers, anyone who sells something like PCP or meth DESERVES that bullet.

Yeah, sure, innocents die, but look how many people go free. Karla Homolka is going to be free soon. MJ is free right now. Frankly, I don't think that most people would mind either catching a bullet.

Always remember, kids. Gravity is a renewable resource.

DE

I agree with you...If people knew there would be severe consequences to there actions ,I bet there would be alot less murdering and childmolesting going on.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
I currently favour China over the USA Muaddib. They havent actually carried out 2 invasions in the last 4 years have they?

Is that how you're limiting your already dysfunctional mind on the basis of that? Not bad for a student of physics.

I hope you're packing up your suitcases and head to China to become a new citizen. Make sure you demand the Chinese government to give you the same rights and privileges as you have now. I'm very sure they'll gladly bestow their versions upon you.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I agree with you...If people knew there would be severe consequences to there actions ,I bet there would be alot less murdering and childmolesting going on.

Pisses me off that there should be consequences for dissuasion......It's frickin common sense........

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
If the World favors China over the US of A, its very possible its not the USA they are comparing to China ie the present President in disrepute with the free world?

Dallas

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Muadib - Re-offender is a very common term as far as i know.

Everyone else- Does not suprise me. he USA is definately one of the least populare countries around. Even with its faults i prefer China over the USA,

Chinas faults are internal... thus their problem.

The USA's faults are internal... not my issue, but also external... which then does affect the rest of the world.

SO why is everyone so suprised by this?

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
China -

Murdered tens of millions of its own people just a few decades ago.
United States freed Europe from oppression just a few decades ago.

Who knows.

Does it matter though? The U.S. can be hated - SO WHAT. Does it make a difference to most of us in the 'States?

No. It does not.

-wD

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
who cares what the world thinks and who even knows if these statistics are correct.

most people/countries will dislike those who are superior to them for a variety of reasons: fear, jealousy, or they may just actually hate you.

So.

i also have alot of good to say about china - i am a proud american who happens to be married to a chinese man and we moved to beijing china recently. i can walk down the street/alley any time of day and do not have any fear of rape, being jacked for my purse/bike etc. I would never have done that in any city i have ever lived in america at least not since the 70's. i would of been to scared. it is because of the strict death/re-education sentences that this is possible.

it is very rare here to hear about rapes, murders, and thank god pedofile's because everyone knows if u do this u will die. good!!

and if someone steals the whole crowd goes after him. good! i see vendors and people daily with hugh amounts of money and no one trys to take it. if a person in america flashed that amout of cash at the next alley entrance they would be a goner.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
YES, it's obvious. It isn't the illegal wars, the detainee's the lack of UN approval. Nor is it the questionable tatics, illegal method's or the bullying tatics. It is just that the world hates you "just because"...

Man, it is just silly.

Wake the freak up.

September 12 2001, just about the entire world was allies with America, and were willing to condeem and help where ever possible to help get those that attacked you - Including many Muslim countries. Now, hardly anyone in the world sides with America....

Must just be jealousy.....

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Does it make a difference to most of us in the 'States?

No. It does not.

It should, the US owes a lot of its current wealth and prosperity to the positive feeelings it engendered worldwide for so long. Watch our dollar buy less and less, and our economy become increasingly stifled by a global market that views us with suspicion if not outright hostility, and keep telling yourself that it doesn't matter.

I've said it before: we've gone from being seen as a guarantor of stability to being seen as a purveyor of instability. If you don't think that's going to have consequences for us, just watch.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I'm sorry but the whole "China is more popular with the world than the US" thing reminds me of being in some kind of High School popularity contest. What's next , is Europe going to call us all Nerds and give us a wedgie?

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Very true, Say wasn't it America calling France cowards a little while ago. High School popularity indeed.

That said though as someone pointed out it probably has more to do with the President and his actions more so than any feeling towards "Americans" per se

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join