It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Drunken Pilot Flies Stolen Plane Around New York for Hours

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
A 20-year-old student pilot stole a Cessna light aircraft from a Connecticut airport and, with a couple of 16-year-old friends, took a joyride around the New York metropolitan area for several hours with little notice from authorities. He finally landed almost 3 hours later in Westchester County airport in New York State after running low on fuel. The pilot had a 0.15 blood alcohol level when apprehended by police, twice the legal limit for driving a car.

www.nytimes.com
WHITE PLAINS, June 22 - The first hint that something was amiss early Wednesday at the Westchester County Airport was the erratic motion of the low-flying Cessna. Confirmation came moments later when security workers approached the aircraft and beer cans fell out of the cabin as the pilot opened the door.

Philippe Patricio, 20, of Bethel, Conn., after his arraignment yesterday in Rye Brook, N.Y. He was accused of stealing a plane from Danbury Airport and flying drunk for almost three hours with two 16-year-old friends.
It was the denouement of what turned out to be a bizarre airborne caper, one that set county and law enforcement officials into a frenzy of finger-wagging, with a new symptom in Westchester's under-age drinking epidemic and Sept. 11-style alarms over airport security.

According to Thomas Belfiore, commissioner of the Westchester County Department of Public Safety, the 20-year-old pilot, Philippe Patricio of Bethel, Conn., stole the airplane from the Danbury Municipal Airport in Connecticut some time after 1:30 a.m. and took two friends, both 16, on a joy ride. Mr. Patricio had taken several flying lessons, but he does not have a pilot's license, Mr. Belfiore said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If it wasn't for the terrorist threat facing us, this would be almost funny. But if a couple of teens can do this, what could trained terrorists do with our civiilian general aviation resources with apparently such little security?

[edit on 6/23/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
pre-9/11, my brother in law took me and my grandfather from bridgeport CT down to nyc. its very easy, you just go west until you get to the hudson river, then make a left and follow the river. we circled the TT
about 5 times at the 75th floor level, buzzed lady liberty a few times and came back. nobody cared. we didn't file a flight plan or radio anyone at anytime.

that was then

its a prime example of how time erodes memory, and how we eventually settle into complacency.....

[edit on 23-6-2005 by syrinx high priest]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
What do you do with a drunken pilot,
Earl-eye in the morning!

WHen I was a kid in my pre-teens I often dreamed about taking my dad's cessna out for a joyride. But I never acted on it

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The student pilot will likely never be allowed to have a license nor a job flying an aircraft in his lifetime. What a complete numbskull.

Originally posted by djohnsto77

If it wasn't for the terrorist threat facing us, this would be almost funny. But if a couple of teens can do this, what could trained terrorists do with our civiilian general aviation resources with apparently such little security?

Ah, I see now reality is setting in with you and those who think like you. The fact is there never is, never was & never will be complete safety from terrorists, nut cases or just plain old mean evil people.

So - get the idea out of your head that we can make a free country as safe as the Disneyland Image you've falsely created. Even if we lock everything up & lock everyone down there will still be cracks in the wall or holes in the sheild.

Maybe when we have CCD video cameras watching every square inch of space & we all get glued to the screens making sure nothing happens that isn't approved by homeland security - nothing will happen and if it does we will have it on video again

[edit on 23-6-2005 by outsider]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
hmmm .15 alcohol level and he landed the plan..... hmmmmm
So flyings not really like driveing a car, you dont half to be sobber?????

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Last I checked, tresspassing and any sort of theft or vandalism to an aircraft or premesis was a federal crime. This was the warning posted on the local airfields decades ago.

I don't give a damn if the kid's a minor or drunk or whatever. Federal juristiction applies, make an example. Nor do I want the blame foisted off onto guards or lack thereof at the originating field. That's a separate problem to address.

Under no circumstances should this be treated as a "prank" or "joyride". Serious consequences must result.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
i also feel he should be punished according to the law, but im sorry this is funny and thank god didnt end horribly. I also agree that there is no way on earth we in the usa will ever be completely safe from anyone who has a desire to do harm whether large scale or small.

maybe he can get off by using the tactic that he saw it on tv news, if airline pilots can do it why cant he?

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Shave his belly with a rusty razor,
Earl-eye in the morning!

I once new an old guy who did a lot of Hanger talking and said he was a pilot. I asked him which kind of planes he flew and he said, "Anyhting that was availible, I'd climb in with my 6-pack and go for a ride"

no idea if it was true or not, but with the ban on inebriated pilots I think he wasn't able to fly anymore without his pack of courage

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Wonder if they'll blame it on GTA:SA?

new topics

top topics

join