It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: The Two Koreas agree to resume seeking peaceful end to Nuclear standoff

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Both North and South Korea have agreed to resume negotiations to peacefully resolve the Nuclear development conflict that has plagued the penninsula since the DNK announcement that they possed nuclear weapons. No date has been set for them to resume, but any progress is greatly welcome, not only by both parties, but also their surrounding neighbors.

www.washingtonpost.com
The North has stayed away from arms talks for a year, citing "hostile" U.S. policies. Last week, North Korea leader Kim Jong Il said the communist state could return to the talks if it received appropriate respect from Washington.

"The South and the North have agreed to take real measures for peaceful resolution of the nuclear issue through dialogue as the atmosphere is created with the ultimate goal of denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula," South Korean Unification Minister Chung Dong-young, Seoul's head delegate, said while reading a joint statement.

Though the Seoul delegation urged the North to return to the talks in July, it "hadn't heard a definite answer" from the North Koreans, said Kim Chun-shick, a spokesman for the South Korean delegation.

The top delegates from North and South appeared side-by-side at a news conference after their negotiations, a departure from previous high-level talks that normally ended with the issuing of a written statemen

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is particularly interest and I hope that it does not amount to another political game for DNK to gain attention as a world power. There are greater concerns for Kim Jong Il than if he has a bomb. This issue is especially of great concern for those who live in South Korea, especially those in Seoul. They are not too far from the DMZ and believe me, we thought the Berlin wall would frighten people, at least you didn't see rockets pointed at you in Berlin.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Rockets not pointed at you in Berlin? Yeah they were. Both sides (U.S and Soviets) had large military bases in Berlin and nuclear weapons were pointed at both sides there.

Anyway, this is an important first step and I hope its a purely bilateral step from North and South Korea. They do not need the United States in the negotiations. South Koreans have long been in favour of opening up economic and political contact between the two countries. It matters little to South Koreans that they are Communist, that only irks the Americans.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This is great news. It's obviously not final, but it's a great start!!!

The last thing we need is war in the Korean Peninsula.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Imho, if the 2 Korea's were able to talk it out among themselves, without some right wing whackjob interfering all the time and treatening to blast DNK back to the stoneages, a solution and posibly even a dismantlement of DNK and rejoining of Korea could have already happend.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
thematrix, you have nailed it my friend. Kudos

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Lets remove our troops. We are no longer needed there. We are in the middle of a family fight. It is a no win situation for everyone involved with us in the middle of it. South Korea can defend itself ffom the north and if the north would use nukes we are better off without our troops on the korean peninsula.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Subz and the rest: Its not only the right wing whack jobs, remember the Korean conflict is still going on. Only an armistace was signed, so technically the war is still going on and every president since has had a hand in the situation. Also, FEI (for everyones information) the south koreans generally don't want us there anyways. However, what is done is being done. My main deal with DNK is that we are over there because they want nukes and not because of the attrocities that are committed against their own people everyday and the world turns the blind eye. I though war crimes ended in 1944? Oh wait, that's only the important war crime that affect a small minority in europe. Not like genocide or human rights violations are a big deal...are they GW?

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 03:31 AM
link   
CAConrad0825, the state of war is between South Korea, North Korea and the UN. The United States entered the Korean war as a police action sponsored by the UN. This, however, does not mean that the United States should have any say whatsoever in the bilateral negotiations between both Koreas.

They can have their troops there 50 years later to continue a police action but that doesnt mean they have to be involved in talks.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 06:25 AM
link   
The UN?! What a joke! They can't even handle Somolia, how could they handle a civil war involving nuclear weapons? Also, the US lost the most lives over there defending what they were called upon to do. This is between the two koreas and the US not the UN. It doesn't matter who started what, the issue is the ability to control the situation. The UN could not handle such an incident and still cannot, thus the 1948 conflict lingering on to today. Also, the UN cannot wield military action when their troops do not carry weapons.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
CAConrad0825, show me the declaration of war from the United States against North Korea.

UN troops do carry weapons. I also never said the UN should interfere in the North/South Korean conflict either. Please read what your disagreeing with first.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Old Crazy Kim strikes again and people believe him :shk: This is just another ploy or delaying tactic. He is right out of a comic book

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Subz show me a declaration of war by the US against anyone since WWII. You won't find one though we have fought at least five "conflicts" since (Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War, Afghanistan, Iraqi Freedom). It does not have to be a formal declaration for it to be a war, at least under the modern interpetation of the constitution.

new topics

top topics

join