It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should U.S. Presidents Be Required to Have Served in Military?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
A friend and I were discussing this last night. Should our presidents be required to serve in the military to be elected?

What kind of difference would that requirement make?

In some ways I think it would be a good idea, but I don't think its necessary. We've had decent presidents who didn't serve. I always thought one of Clinton's biggest weaknesses was that he didn't have a clue about the military. So, when the Somalia debacle went down, it made me furious. Had he and Aspin known what they were doing, it wouldn't have gone down the way it did.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Actually I think that may be a good idea. War is a big part of govt and the experience that stays with you from actually being in the military could be of some help. I don't see that ever becoming mandatory to be President but I do see it as a positive election spin to be used in campaigns.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I think Colin Powell (in 2000) woulda been an outstanding prez.

The thing I like about it is that when it comes to military actions, they understand how it works, what its like in and what the true costs are. They have more of an appreciation for the people they send to war b/c they, too, have gone through the great equalizer: common humiliation and abuse in training.

I would not choose to make it mandatory, tho. We might just wind up with our version of Pakistan's Musharref. No thank ya!

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Just an interesting aside for members to ponder...

Both my assistant Council members and myself are veterans of the military. Kidfinger (Navy) is a lefty, The Vagabond (Marines) is a reasonable right-winger and I am a progressive Republican (Army).

I think Americans like their leaders to have that military experience, more than not.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I think it sounds good in theory, and most Presidents were...including George Bush in the TexANG.

But, this would require a Constitutional Amendment and I doubt it'd ever pass, and would further constrain the people's ability to choose whomever they desire for President.

I think if the people think military service is important for the position at the time, they should be allowed to make that decision at the ballot box.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
mmm, gonna have to close this. We have a longstanding thread on this subject politics.abovetopsecret.com.... Some good responses here and there. Some of the people here might want to respond there.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Link corrrection:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join