It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rethinking SETI

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I found an interesting article by a Mr. Bradbury. I wouldn't do it justice by cutting and pasting a few paragraphs. Please take the time to read it, it's quite informative and thought provoking.

arxiv.org...

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Some of us can't read this PDF format. The full document reference at arxiv.org... is:

1. astro-ph/0506110 [abs, ps, pdf, other] :
Title: Galactic Gradients, Postbiological Evolution and the Apparent Failure of SETI
Authors: Milan M. Cirkovic, Robert J. Bradbury
Comments: 30 pages, 2 figures
Subj-class: Astrophysics; Physics and Society; Artificial Intelligence

Plain HTML abstract here.

Motivated by recent developments impacting our view of Fermi's paradox (absence of extraterrestrials and their manifestations from our past light cone), we suggest a reassessment of the problem itself, as well as of strategies employed by SETI projects so far.

Quite an assumption there- 'absence of extraterrestrials and their manifestations from our past light cone'. I don't think anyone can claim to have searched our entire past light cone. Our legendary history is replete with posssible visitations/interventions.

If ET does not want to be seen, they will not be seen. And, thinking from their point of view, I can think of a thousand reasons to not want to be seen. Being seen might attract juvenile predatory species- like, say, humans.

I would use tightbeam frequency-shift encoded burst mode communications, if I were Galactic Emperor...

Great post, rancid1

[edit on 28-6-2005 by Chakotay]

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I didn't take into consideration that some of our members may not be as computer savy as myself or others.
Thanks for the help!

posted on Jun, 30 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
That was actually a nifty read. Deep down it makes some sort of sense. You also have to consider the black hole at the center of our galaxy and anyone in that vicinity would be leaving at best speed for the outer regions to set up shop. Also consider that stars do die in various ways and any intelligent race would at some point have to plan for that death and leave their original system if they wish to survive....

[edit on 30-6-2005 by UofCinLA]

top topics

join