It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indefinite Locations on Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
When was the current north pole (above canada) accepted as being north? Since it is mostly above (and below) all areas, we see the general direction as being above. This means any object in space above the north pole would be considered above earth, correct? But technically, on the south pole as well (we consider it below us) an object in space would still be above earth.

So why is the north pole considered as being above us? In space, there really are no directions..right?

Our general perception of the north pole being the top of the earth doesnt exist.. it's like the equator then. we just base our directional system on the magnetic fields..so there's one of two choices we can have.. under the united states being north or above the united states being north..
The earth is a sphere..spheres have no defined top or bottom..
This is very confusing to you probably.. but i'm just wondering if the general idea of north and south doesn't exist.
Thanks..

Cory

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
They only exist relative to where you are on the earth.

North and South are just a convention that everyone uses, it might as well be X and Y.

I think in the context you mean, that no they are not "real." But then neither is an inch or a centimeter.

It is just a tool that we humans agree on to make things less confusing.

Time isn't real but I still lose my job if I never get there on time.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Is not because it where there always daylight!

Or

the Sun is always in the middle!

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Don't forget the Earth's rotational axis. The poles are not really "like the equator" for this reason. As to why north is "up", there's a lot more of us living in the northern hemisphere. Majority rules!

Harte

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I think the real difference is that the north pole is positively charged and south is negatively charged. The poles will wobble and the exact location of true north or true south is never constant. I could be wrong, it sure wouldn't be the first time

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
There is no North or South.

There is only Oolgrek or Not-Oolgrek.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DjOsiris
I think the real difference is that the north pole is positively charged and south is negatively charged. The poles will wobble and the exact location of true north or true south is never constant. I could be wrong, it sure wouldn't be the first time

Yes.

It got called North because magnets were given names ages ago. Turns out one end always point North and one always pointed South. So we named the ends of them.

As to why North is commonly portrayed as up? Geopolitical history.

Britain owned the whole bloody world back then. So, naturally, they're the center (they actually are now because of the prime meridian) and they decided "we want to face this way" so they did. Europe knew of everyone below them, and OBVIOUSLY Asia was below Europe, so it was only natural.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Actually, according to Russian maps we are on the bottom half of the Earth. I remember a teacher of mine brought back a map from the Soviet Union, and it was up-side-down to us. I guess its all about perspective. But no matter where you are, the equator is still the equator. It just has to do with the center point to the Sun. I hope that last line makes sense... lol

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I'd like to add that in terms of space (celestial sphere) the equator defines the equator and North is the Zenith (Up). Declination is determined by direction of the Sun on the vernal equinox (irrelevant).

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
"Lets head.... east"
"What if that isn't east, but North?"
"Lets just go this way and call it east"

Magnetic or compass north is the direction of the north-seeking end of a magnetic compass needle, not subject to local disturbances. True, astronomical, or geographical north is the northern direction of the meridian at the point of observation. Grid north is the direction of the north-south lines on a map coincident with true north only at the meridian of origin.

So in a way Democracy and international political power decided. Since only Africa, sounth east asia, south america and australia really had any say to change it, North became north.. not south

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
The geographic north pole is over the artic. The geomagnetic 'north pole', as in the pole of a magnetic, does not actually coincide with the geographic north pole, and in fact there are different 'locations' for it.

Also, keep in mind, the magnetic pole in the arctic is a magnetic south, and over the antarctic it's amagnetic north. The magnetic north of your compass magnet seeks, magnetic south.

Also, in china, maps were generally orientated with what is geographic south today at the top. So there was never really an agreement, it was just a convention. Europeans tended to make their maps with what is north today at the top, and that usage has been generally adopted.

As far as, say, a spaceship comming to earth, and being 'on top', i suppose it could go to the north pole. But also consider that a ship can launch from its home planet, fly away and one day come upon earth, and be 'upside down' from the viewpoint of people in the northern hemisphere.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
No No No, you are all thinking 2 dimensionally (x,y). It sounds like yall are interpreting it like a map.

Think of it in terms of (x,y and z) in this equation there is no 'north', 'south', 'east', and 'west'. Or could I be anylizing the question wrong!!! Oh well..........

[edit on 24-6-2005 by jrod8900]

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
if you want 3 dimensions then you would be orintated on the ground surface and your directions of travel are north, souith, spin ward, antispinward. down and up

once you reach orbit you move accorind to the nearest celestrial object. increasing your distance (orbit) from said object, or decreasing it, and changing your orbit angle relative to the axis of the object

Then in between you orintate on the sun and solar north, south, spinward, anti spinward, closer, farther

just have to understand the frame of referance

E_T

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
But no matter where you are, the equator is still the equator. It just has to do with the center point to the Sun. I hope that last line makes sense... lol
Equater is equally far from both poles of rotation axis, no need to have sun complicating things.
(remember that sun doesn't stay continuously directly above some point/certain latitude of earth)

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
North is the Zenith (Up).
Zenith is point directly above observer so it doesn't have anything to do with north.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Is there some sort of "direction envy"? Are Western democracies exploiting poorer nations with thier "magnetic direction" superiority? What if I changed the markings on my compass, would I know I was heading a different direction for north than I did yesterday? Should the US re-orient the position of it's spy satellites in case all the chinese people are facing the wrong way when they fly overhead.

Seems like you could make a million silly srguments about why "north" is north. You could even go philisophical and use a Clinton-esque argument like "depends on what your definition of 'is' is".

I'm not making fun of anyone here, I just thought of some silly things when I read this thread.

As for spacecraft, I do believe in that field they've moved beyond compasses and sextants and rely on more complex data like altitudes, escape velocities, geo-positioning and avoiding collision with other objects.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
you know there is a magnetic south pole to, for our Lattitude challanged friends

top topics

join