It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq now a terrorist training ground.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The CIA believes the Iraq insurgency poses an international threat and may produce better-trained Islamic terrorists than the 1980s Afghanistan war that gave rise to Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda, a U.S. counterterrorism official said on Wednesday.

A classified report from the U.S. spy agency says Iraqi and foreign fighters are developing a broad range of deadly skills, from car bombings and assassinations to tightly coordinated conventional attacks on police and military targets, the official said.

Once the insurgency ends, Islamic militants are likely to disperse as highly organized battle-hardened combatants capable of operating throughout the Arab-speaking world and in other regions including Europe.

Fighters leaving Iraq would primarily pose a challenge for their countries of origin including Saudi Arabia and Jordan.

But the May report, which has been widely circulated in the intelligence community, also cites a potential threat to the United States.

"You have people coming to the action with anti-U.S. sentiment ... And since they're Iraqi or foreign Arabs or to some degree Kurds, they have more communities they can blend into outside Iraq," said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the report's classified status.

Iraq has become a magnet for Islamic militants similar to Soviet-occupied Afghanistan two decades ago and Bosnia in the 1990s, U.S. officials say.

Bin Laden won prominence as a U.S. ally in the war against Soviet troops in Afghanistan. He later used Afghanistan as the training center for his al Qaeda network, which is blamed for the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on Washington and New York.

see, there is no turning back, have to fight the terrorists while they still where they at, its kinda like mosquitos that stays in this swamp once this swamp is gone they go somewhere else. not to mention we bring terrorists who have been hiding like for example Zarqawi to light instead of hiding and waiting for instructions. if we leave prematurely it be just like Afghanistan and if another 9/11 style attack comes we have to go back to Iraq.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:11 PM
link   
TAKE NO PRISONERS!! If you let the roaches scurry home, they will be harder to eliminate. Of course they could plant bombs inside them, then send them home and monitor them. When they have a terrorist square dance, detonate them and spread some terror where it belongs.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Problem is, Majority of this COUNTRY is now considered insurgents.. why?
because they dont agree with the occupation from the americans.
Ive always said its not the Iraqi Regime that the US needs to worry about..
Its the Brothers, Fathers and FRIENDS of all the civilians KILLED in combat.
The person who has nothign left to lose, is the worst enemy.
Im thinknig the US knew this prior to the invasion.
I mean, all the critics say they never expected a anti US feeling amongst iraqi's AFTER the invasion....

What were they expecting? HONESTLY?

They probably knew this would happen, and it would eveantually spread.... Maening that where ever terrorism SPREAD, so does the USA!

I mean it was only last week terrorism hit Iran.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
And to think, all this time I thought Iraq was a "terrorist training ground" prior to the removal of Saddam.

seekerof

[edit on 22-6-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
What a nation to do . . . and a president to make decisions for the life of the people that he had affected for the rest of their lives.

War . . . such a awful thing, hum, shot them all and then perhaps we can repopulated Iraq, with good christian god fearing Iraqis.

What you people think,

That will sure take the "insurgecy" away.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
With republicans jumping ship right and left I wonder if we will see a ramp up of terror warnings here at home (like during the election).

With that and reports of increased terror activites in Iraq it will give Bush another lock on the saftey factor and make this whole little bump go away. Okay maybe that should have been in the prediction section.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Really now? What a shock! Invading a forign land, and killing it cizilians over lies ....breeding terrorists you say?

Man if only people had thought of that before....

dolts....

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Mainly because the terrorist had the public support.

That is starting to change however. This sentiment is becoming more and more common:
www.washingtonpost.com...

"I am not sad about what happened to my house," said Jasim Mohammed Salih as he salvaged what he could from his wrecked home. "This house was destroyed in order to make us get rid of those vagabonds, those foreign fighters whom we hid. I welcomed them at the beginning and I thought they are going to fight the Americans only. But when I saw them killing us, the Iraqis, I knew we had made a mistake.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Please stop using the ignorant term that we're fighting terrorist. We'll never be able to kill every single terrorist on the planent NEVER, as long as religon exists. As long as their islam, their will be islamic fundamentalist. As long as Chirstianity exists, you'll alllways have fundamentalist Christians. The root of the problem is religon. Muslims and Christians have been killing each other for CENTURIES!!!!!! CENTURIES!!!!! CENTURIES!!!!

Take a look at Isreal. They have been killing Muslims fundamentalists for decades, and that still hasn't stopped the suidice bombers.

That's like the DEA saying OH GEE, Lets go to HUMBOLDT COUNTY IN CALIFORNIA (Pot growing capital of the world) and Jail all the growers, so Marijuana won't plague the future of our country. You'll never be able to win the war drugs, you'll never be able to win the war on poverty (until molecular assemblers become mainstream) and you'll never be able to win the war on terror! Israel has been fighting it for decades, has it made them any safer?

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Ganymede:

But hold on that isn't really true is it? Mohammed(excuse the spelling) stated that other religons such as Christianity and Judism were allowed to be worshiped along side of Islam, and if memory serves me Islamics kept theri word protecting Christian Churches and Jewis temples.

We are all of the same. The arc angel Gabriel apparently spoke to Mohammed, the same arc angle from the bible. Indeed, Islam honours and respect Jesus, as a prophet and messenger of God. Read their book with an open mind.

Now that said, it takes a special person I think who can look at religon as stories and morality tales without having to beleive in everything it says within it. Religon is an evil thing, but IMO there are lessons to be learned within all the books.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
news.yahoo.com...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The CIA believes the Iraq insurgency poses an international threat and may produce better-trained Islamic terrorists than the 1980s Afghanistan war that gave rise to Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda, a U.S. counterterrorism official said on Wednesday.

Haha, well good work there CIA, you've finally caught up with the majority of anaylists who opposed the Iraq war before it began because they said it would create more Terrorism! How could the CIA have possibly not of know this would be the outcome? Sounds like they are getting ready to kill Bin Laden for the enevitable Patriotic Poll Raiser and spreading rumor at the same time that he's being super-seeded by the new Terrorists they've cultivated in Iraq just so they can continue the War For Terrorism.

A classified report from the U.S. spy agency.....But the May report, which has been widely circulated in the intelligence community, also cites a potential threat to the United States.

So a classified report that is widely circulated and referenced on Yahoo news must not really be that classified huh? Unless it was written for the sake of spreading propaganda, most classified reports on intelligence by spy agencies tend not to become public knowledge and news headlines. Thou it warns of 'threats' to the United States so it does serve it's propaganda purpose.

Once the insurgency ends, Islamic militants are likely to disperse as highly organized battle-hardened combatants capable of operating throughout the Arab-speaking world and in other regions including Europe.

Getting the European Terrorism front out of the bag and into public opinion already. Nice work.
Be careful Europe, thems Terrorists are a comin'!! But don't worry, the US will be there and they will have an alliance that will liberate you free!

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Passer by,

I hear and respect what you're saying. But once "Man" got a hold of religon, all hell broke loose. Man has been using it justify genocide for centuries. I think the negatives far outweight the positives when it comes to religon. Personally im an Atheist, and I don't agree with Jews saying they're the chosing people. Blacks saying that they're Gods people. Whites saying that they were chosen by God to rule earth Etc. See where im going. This is happening at this very moment, and it's only going to progress. As the wise Arthur C. Clarke once said, In the distant future Religon will banned. And the bible, Koran, will be looked upon as the sole device that has held man back, from acheiving the great wonders that he's capable of.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
And to think, all this time I thought Iraq was a "terrorist training ground" prior to the removal of Saddam.

It was, check out 25 KM South of Baghdad, Fetta Yein. The last expert estimates for their numbers was between 16,000 to 60,000. Those are old
figures, recent reports are even higher.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganymede
Passer by,

I hear and respect what you're saying. But once "Man" got a hold of religon, all hell broke loose. Man has been using it justify genocide for centuries. I think the negatives far outweight the positives when it comes to religon. Personally im an Atheist, and I don't agree with Jews saying they're the chosing people. Blacks saying that they're Gods people. Whites saying that they were chosen by God to rule earth Etc. See where im going. This is happening at this very moment, and it's only going to progress. As the wise Arthur C. Clarke once said, In the distant future Religon will banned. And the bible, Koran, will be looked upon as the sole device that has held man back, from acheiving the great wonders that he's capable of.

I also share your concern my friend and agree with you completely. There is little doubt that from outward appearance Religon has been a stain on our species. Has lead to inumerable slaughters and horrindous hate. Agreed also that the problem though doesn't lie with the message,, but rather with those that weld that message like a sword. As Jesus apparently said:

“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. - Matthew 10:34

I too, from an organised religous standpoint, am an atheist. I simply can't beleive in all that smite and dogma. That said though, I try to find truth whereever I can, but thankfully my first training was science so I was able to brush aside all the nonesense in all religious books and get to the morality within.

I would hope that in the distant future Mr Clark is wrong, I would hate to see a world where the basic morality tales like those would be banned because humans couldn't understand the nature of the words anymore than I wish Physics to be banned because of the destruction it can cause, or Chemistry over the dammage of drugs. Instead, I would hope that in the future humans could evolve past the tribal mentality and see us all as merely humans and whatever beleif structure we use to get us through this life, as long as it hardms no one, should be freely available to any that require it.

** Ofcourse, histroy proves me wrong, that Humans can't, but I can dream dammit! LOL!!

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Hate to say I but told you so but...

We told you this was going to happen!

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   
The resent newspaper shows how the bombers have been creating more efficiant and better bombs and other homemade weapons sonce the past two years or 3.
They have gotten unfathomably proficiant, and way more deadly.
Cant find Link. /
Bad Example lol: / Beutifle Huh

Beleafs
First you have Thoughts, then Idias, Then Beleafs, and beleafs are stains that shine, much harder to get out.
(Not all stains are bad)
So beleafs can get dangerouse if they contribute to something violent.

[edit on 23-6-2005 by The Surrealist]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I too once realized that religion is the source of many of these problems...

But there is a trap that many fall into when they come to this realization. Or at least this is my belief, that people stop believing in god / gaia/ allah once they've thrown religion out the door.

Religion is a creation of man, it was man's way of explaining god on a conscious level. People believe that others cannot discover god by themselves, so they feel the need to draw out a schematic for everyone, just in case they "get it wrong". Everyone has the capacity to be good and evil, but unfortunately they also have the capacity to decide what is good and evil. Hence our little predicament.

As with many other things, neoconservatism / christianity / islam / communism / anarchism / liberal-leftism....religion has suffered from a "trickle down" effect. Basically a theory that has a sound argument in speculation, becomes severely warped in reality, and / or evil minds find ways to warp those theories for their own goals.

some wise words that a tree once told me...
"Everything was great until the monkeys got out of control."

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   
If, as has been speculated, an attack upon Iran is to be the next piece in the jigsaw, I would think it eminently sensible, beforehand, to try and bring out into the open all the fighters you would consider as not being part of the regular, national fighting force, and who would inevitably descend upon Iran in the event of conflict.

You know, divide and conquer.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
see, there is no turning back, have to fight the terrorists while they still where they at, its kinda like mosquitos that stays in this swamp once this swamp is gone they go somewhere else. not to mention we bring terrorists who have been hiding like for example Zarqawi to light instead of hiding and waiting for instructions. if we leave prematurely it be just like Afghanistan and if another 9/11 style attack comes we have to go back to Iraq.

You consider this as something positive?
If anything, it demonstrates the Iraq war has made things worse. Could you also explain to me how having soldiers in Iraq does anything about Saudi Arabian, Egyptian, or Jordanian nationals that want to kill US civilians in the homeland?

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simon666
Could you also explain to me how having soldiers in Iraq does anything about Saudi Arabian, Egyptian, or Jordanian nationals that want to kill US civilians in the homeland?

- To set up bases to carry out these aforementioned missions at a later date?
- To train an Iraqi army, freeing up US forces to attack anyone else in the region they care to?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join