It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starchild meaning as portrayed in "2001"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
hey guys, i just watched 2001 a space odyssey, i know, a little late, but im kind of confused, i went to this link for furthur explanation : www.kubrick2001.com... , everything made sense except for the end when the animation says "the starchild is born" then it ends abruptly

what exactly is the starchild according to how kubrick wanted it to be portrayed, ive heard the term before but i am still confused...

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
As far as I know, the starchild in "2001, A Space Odyssey" was supposed to symbolize the next step in humankind's evolution.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paul_Richard
As far as I know, the starchild in "2001, A Space Odyssey" was supposed to symbolize the next step in humankind's evolution.

so what exactly is a starchild, a being of light? a new species of human-being... this is where i get confused

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I thought a "Starchild" was like a special born person who has very sensitive senses and I think I'm one.

I had a dream a few nights before 9/11 happened that a jet plane flew into a building which was right next to me. Freaked me out big time...

Then the night before the Tsunami hit I had a dream that I was in an earth quake and the ground was breaking into pieces and it was horrible...

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
The starchild is supposed to signal the rebirth of man into a new evolutionary cycle. The theme of the movie is that man's intelligence 'jumps' to new levels when it is confronted with a strange power that it doesn't really understand. Just as the ape encounters the monolith in prehistoric africa and 'jumps' to a mental state where it can use tools, modern man can 'jump' to a new stage of evolution by encountering the monolith in space.

I think this thread should be in BTS.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by meshuggah1324

Then the night before the Tsunami hit I had a dream that I was in an earth quake and the ground was breaking into pieces and it was horrible...

In sixth grade on Okinawa there was an earthquake, and I could see the ground moving like a sine wave at about ten mph. It made my stomach queasy and I got seasick.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
The starchild in 2001 Space Odyessy was suppose to represent both the next step in human evolution as well as an intermediary between man now and the aliens which created the oblisk (sorry, having a hard time speeing today

I agree though that this thread should be in BTS as onlyinmydreams stated

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by beerbaron105

Originally posted by Paul_Richard

so what exactly is a starchild, a being of light? a new species of human-being... this is where i get confused

It does get rather confusing, doesn't it?

How can you be a being of light and a new species of human at the same time?

Regardless, it appears that the starchild is supposed to represent the link or intermediary stage between the beings of light that created the obelisk and the humans on Earth.

[edit on 23-6-2005 by Paul_Richard]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I used to watch that movie while partaking in the herb. I stopped trying to figure it out after a while.

Peace

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The movie is great on its own and so is the book. I just read the book and then rewatched the film.

The book explains a ton of stuff and questions that can come up while watching the film. If you like either and haven't experienced both, you're missing out.

The starchild thing has been explained above, but the book goes into detail and you get to "experience" it through Dave's eyes. Also much better in the book is the experience of entering the wormhole.

I finished reading 2010 and am going to rent the film.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by beerbaron105

I read the book so i think i can help you. David, during his sleep turns into an energy being. we as humans are matter beings, but he transformed, and became a "star child" basically, hes a ghost. but he can alter reality, so hes kind of a god. TO answer your question, id say that a star child is a god

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I haven't seen the movie nor read the book nor. This looks like an interesting sci-fi. But after reading the summary and plot on the net, my take on the "Star Child" thing is that when humans encounter difficult times, we evolve. Just like the same concept when Klaatu explains to the professor how they evolve into such beings when subjected or threatened to extinction in the movie "The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008)" and the professor reiterated on the matter by asking Klaatu for another chance for humans to evolve.

My take on the monolith is that it is just a symbol, a non-significant matter or not an entity, but rather a symbol of the hardships or threat to the survival that we humans encounter. Notice that when the first appearance of the monolith was during the retreat of the apes being defeated and wounded by an attack of another tribe which pushed them to the limit and eventually evolve into using tools in order to survive. Then the second was on the moon then again humans threatened by this radio signal and seeks to develop/evolve technology and find the source by developing HAL 9000. The third appearance was at the end, after being threatened again, this time by their own creation,HAL 9000, david representing humans, evolve into another being beyond our understanding even now on our present lifetime.

I am going to get a copy of this movie sometime this month. It seems to have sparked my imagination and creative thinking.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Hi, inquisitive persons.

So, the Starchild intrigues you ? We can go further :
To know more about our 3rd density reality, and our future 4th density,
do researches on " Indigo child ", and on Ra, mentionned in my signature.
See also the [My Favorite Sites] box, in my profile.

That waked me up. . .

Blue skies.

top topics

join