It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Popsicle Melts, Floods NYC Park

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Snapple tried to erect the world's largest popsicle, but it melted faster than expected and flooded Union Square in Manattan. I would have liked to have seen that.

NEW YORK - An attempt to erect the world's largest popsicle in a city square ended with a scene straight out of a disaster film — but much stickier.

The 25-foot-tall, 17 1/2-ton treat of frozen Snapple juice melted faster than expected Tuesday, flooding Union Square in downtown Manhattan with kiwi-strawberry-flavored fluid that sent pedestrians scurrying for higher ground.

Firefighters closed off several streets and used hoses to wash away the sugary goo.

Snapple had been trying to promote a new line of frozen treats by setting a record for the world's largest popsicle, but called off the stunt before it was pulled fully upright by a construction crane. Authorities said they were worried the thing would collapse in the 80-degree, first-day-of-summer heat.

"What was unsettling was that the fluid just kept coming," Stuart Claxton of the Guinness Book of World Records told the Daily News. "It was quite a lot of fluid. On a hot day like this, you have to move fast."

news.yahoo.com.../ap/20050622/ap_on_fe_st/popsicle_disaster

[edit on 2005/6/22 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Well, this certainly isn't going to improve the sales of frozen treats by snapple if their giant version can't last in just 80 degree heat!

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:56 PM
link   
i think this is halarious!! what dumb ad exec thought this up. even if it didnt melt before they could of erected it, it would of melted at some point. did they have protective measures for that? anyway i bet all the birds, insects and such had a great time.

It would of been cool if a swarm of hummingbirds stopped by for a snapple snack!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
ahahahahaha

that's awesome

Would have been one of them "kodak moments"

"park floods when giant popsicle melts"

Oh the hazards of modern western living

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Dude I was there today! I can't believe I missed it!!!

On the bright side, I had awesome food for cheap.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Wow, that is funny, any problem with flies coming out? They like sweet things.

new topics

top topics

join