It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain sees violent games as real.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by benign
My point is that this kid had done this before, not in the real world, but a virtual one. The object is not to get people to become violent. It is to help people become accustomed to being around violence, so that they train themselves into thinking and behaving in a way that will help them survive in a war-like environment.

More of a conditioning thing than hypnosis or mind control.

I agree with this to an extent. So much video games, so many impressionable kids and people.
I do not venture far from Pong and Tetris, so i doubt i will be going on any rampages any time soon!

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
That eye roll is all I really have to say about this stupid study, waste of money IMHO, it would have been better spent figuring out why people resort to violence instead of reasoning then trying to draw a line between video games and the real world.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I play plenty of violent games, San Andreas, The Punisher, The Getaway and I do have to admit I get a bit sicko on the games, but not in real life. If I get annoyed with a game though, the console/controller/game just breaks and stops working!! So I have to play most games on easy (which sucks!) in case I get peed off and break the concole/controller/game.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

Wired up to a scanner, they were asked to play a game involving navigating through a complicated bunker, killing attackers and rescuing hostages.

Mathiak found that as violence became imminent, the cognitive parts of the brain became active and that during a fight, emotional parts of the brain were shut down.

The pattern was the same as that seen in subjects who have had brain scans during other simulated violent situations.

It suggests that video games are a "training for the brain to react with this pattern," Mathiak says.

Well of course the patterns were the same. Most people identify with the avatar they are playing. I've played Everquest for years. When you play a game where your avatar may die and lose experience, you tend to get an adrealin rush. You react as if it were you about to die. That is the whole point of a totally immersive video game. You depend on your skills and the skills of your group to get the reward. I have never had anyone appologize to me for letting my avatar die. It's always, "Sorry, I didn't mean to let you die."

Anyone who can't figure out the diffence between in game and RL once the game is over shouldn't play video games. But while playing, feel free to be totally immersed.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   
i am a video game fanatic

i play all types of video games
i know im a loser ive got like 200 games on my PC so far because , i bought about half of them , the rest were givin by friends
at least my wife dont care hehe she actually wants me to LET HER PLAY!!
i tell her get your own pc !

anyways , since the Video Game industry is begining to outpace the Movie industry in revenue$$$ id go ahead and say theres no stopping it now!mwhahaha

what other industry has its 'users' become so strong in their support for it? we would defend that industry all the way i bet

like we are doing right now

they say video games make u violent
nope; your violent before you played the games...

they say pot makes you stupid
nope, your stupid before you smoke it

anyways pot and video games go hand in hand
whats funner than a game? A Game On Weed!!!!

i played almost all the games you guys mentioned, doom gta halo
i recently went thru Half Life 2 and was disappointed a bit...
but my favorite shooter of All Time is
Operation Flashpoint!
you dont get more realistic than that! Battlefield1942 comes close but no cigar! but yes BF42 is better multiplayer definatly - its more streamlined

someone mentioned Civilization and Master of Orion...good 1s
hey have you noticed like all the aliens people talk about actually come from Master of Orion...the names are the same too

but my favorite strategy games right now RomeTotal War and Hearts of Iron2....i love games that are easy to edit and modify
i actually spend 50% of game time Modifying the games and such

hey and if anyone wants to go play some BF42 ,JediKnight, CS:S, etc etc just mention something
id love to shoot some of you ATSers or sabre you and force grip ya

lets get a game goin
whew long post finally over LOL

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

anyways pot and video games go hand in hand
whats funner than a game? A Game On Weed!!!!

hey and if anyone wants to go play some BF42 ,JediKnight, CS:S, etc etc just mention something
id love to shoot some of you ATSers or sabre you and force grip ya

lets get a game goin
whew long post finally over LOL

AHAHA your pot comment made my day dude

and when i get an original CSS youll hear from me m8

ps: just dont show your girl red alert 2, shell trash you in no time

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Seriously, I've played most of the violent games for years, and I'm probably one of the least violent people I know...

yup, the rest dared to challange you and met the nasty end of the shotgun

only joking

This ''computer games turn us into killers'' is crap, I'm not a violent person yet I play violent games, I know its just a game and nothing more, although I once got worked up in the past while playing Mario 64 a few years ago
damn the last boss was difficult

People can be influenced by anything, films, games, books even looking at crazy conspiracy sites on the net but as long as people know whats real and whats not they should be fine.

[edit on 24-6-2005 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
This reminds me of 60 Minutes complaining about GTA...AGAIN...and talking about how "technologically and graphically superior" it is to every other game out there...

*looks at 3-polygon car door*

*throws up*

They have no idea what they're talking about, just ignore them.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join