It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Lawmakers Criticize Pentagon on Disputed Billing By Halliburton

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Washington lawmakers, including Republicans, questioned and criticized Pentagon and Administration officials for poor auditing and bookkeeping of payments made to Iraq, austensibly for oil field repairs and oil imports. The $2.5 billion was billed by Halliburton subsidiary Kellogg Brown & Root.

www.nytimes.com
By ERIK ECKHOLM
Published: June 22, 2005
WASHINGTON, June 21 - Republicans joined longtime Democratic critics in Congress on Tuesday to berate the Pentagon for withholding information about the Halliburton Corporation's disputed billing under a $2.5 billion contract for Iraqi oil site repairs and fuel imports.

Saying the Pentagon is acting as if "it has something to hide," Representative Christopher Shays, Republican of Connecticut, said at a hearing that he would support issuing a subpoena to the Pentagon next week if the administration did not provide long-requested documents relating to the contract, which was awarded to Halliburton in early 2003 without competition.

Mr. Shays is chairman of the House Subcommittee on National Security, Emerging Threats and International Relations, which held the hearing.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So, what has happened here is pretty much what a lot of us expected: Halliburton, as the old firm of Vice President Dick Cheney, received a "cash cow" contract from the Pentagon to repair and upgrade Iraqi oil facilities and improve oil imports and then promptly used the money for bribes, payoffs and who knows what else, without any audits or acounting and then the Pentagon, to cover it's own ass, lied to congress and the American People about where the money went. How much of this money if any made it's way back to Cheney? But then we all knew where this would end up, didn't we?

Related News Links:

sfla-news-nationworld
ogj.pennnet.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
ABUSE CRISIS: 9 Billion Dollars in Iraqi Oil Revenue Missing
About iraqi oil?
Energy wars: Iraq and oil

[edit on 6/22/2005 by lightseeker]

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
What I want to know is why didn't the liberals shout abut Haliburton military contracts when they were in office? Just in case most do not know it they have been under ctontract with the military since WWII

Talk about a bunch of hypocrites

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Ok and how did that post address the topic at all?

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Easy. The topic is critizing the pentagon and the current administration for having contracts with Halliburton is it not?

I am simply pointing out what hyprites they are for doing so now since they never made any real issues of it when they were in office by critizing their own administrations is the point I am making.

[edit on 6/22/2005 by shots]

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
shots

The article says "Republicans joined longtime Democrats". Whose the "they" that were in office??

Keep politics out of it shots, all taxpayers are getting ripped off.......including yourself!!

Peace

[edit on 22-6-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   

The article says "Republicans joined longtime Democrats". Whose the "they" that were in office??

Keep politics out of it shots, all taxpayers are getting ripped off.......including yourself!!

Hummmmm how do you keep politics out of something that clearly is motivated by politicians?

You can't.

BTW who are those long time Republicans> McCain perhaps who once was a Democrat ya that is always good for a big

Sorry you cannot see the hypocrisy in all of this.

Edit for sp

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
shots

Billions and billions of dollars are being swindled from you and I and every other taxpayer, and people like you turn a blind eye to it because political affiliation and taking sides is somehow more important. Man that's waaaaaaaaaay beyond ignorant and very juvenile as well. You and others like yourself doom us all.

Peace out

[edit on 22-6-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Good post. Thanks.

FYI - some good background info here:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Billions and billions of dollars are being swindled from you and I and every other taxpayer, and people like you turn a blind eye to it because political affiliation and taking sides is somehow more important. Man that's waaaaaaaaaay beyond ignorant and very juvenile as well. You and others like yourself doom us all.

Well perhaps if the rest of the news media had jumped on the story, I might agree with you, but only the times and one other obscure none news site are carrying the story. I see this as nothing more then a witch hunt since the Times (who is known to be anti Bush) originated the story used by both.

Again sorry you can not see the hypocrisy here, but that is not my problem you are so blind that you cannot see it.

I am willing to be you think Haliburton is only paying those employees over there low wages. Well you better think again they are problably getting three four times the wages they would in the US. That alone could imply this is nothing more then cost overruns on the contract. It happens all the time in thre real world ya know.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Well perhaps if the rest of the news media had jumped on the story, I might agree with you, but only the times and one other obscure none news site are carrying the story. I see this as nothing more then a witch hunt since the Times (who is known to be antie Bush) originated the story used by both.

Again sorry you can not see the hypocrisy here, but that is not my problem you are so blind that you cannot see it.

If that's how you feel shots, make your vote and exit this thread. No problem.

You are adding nothing to the discussion.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   

If that's how you feel shots, make your vote and exit this thread. No problem.

You are adding nothing to the discussion.

That depends on how you look at what I have said. I see this as nothing more then a conspiracy by The Times against Bush. I can only assume you posted your reply before my edit in which I gave a possible explanation for the cost overruns huh?

BTW I voted hours ago.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Haliburton has been under the microscope for quite some time since it became obvious that it was the favorite business avenue of our present administration.

But as usual Haliburton gets away with anything they want and still gets the money they want.

As long as its back up by the Administration and occurs Mr. Cheney not harm will ever come to them.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   

But as usual Haliburton gets away with anything they want and still gets the money they want.

As was pointed out in this thread

politics.abovetopsecret.com...

No one and I mean no one has yet to prove any wrong doing on the part of Haliburton.

The high costs can be explained if given time. As pointed out in the link above you cannot just move LPG into a war zone as easy as many think, especially on only a few days notice.

When the war started perhaps Haliburton was only paying their employees two times normal US wage now it is perhaps four times or more. That is not their fault that employees are so hard to find now is it?

With the situation over there it is not as if you can hire locals to make the food for our military forces, simply because no one really knows who the friendly's are. They have to be protected and the only way to do that is by hiring Americans or other people from other friendly nations that are willing to work there and they will not work for peanuts either simply because it is a war zone.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
What can I say Shots, we already know who are the ones making a buck and profiting from the "War" right?

Now you see why the present administration pull out of Iraq "Is not an ootion" until the fat cow is well satisfied.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   

What can I say Shots, we already know who are the ones making a buck and profiting from the "War" right?

Really??? How can you be so sure of that? Do you have access to their records? I doubt it!

I do not care if it was Bechtel; they all are in it for the profits, but even the best of companies are known to loose money now and then.

Get back to me when you can prove their profits are out of the norm and they have intentionally cheated the American public, until then it is just pure speculation on your part.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Shot, just one of the last knights protectiong the bad dealings of the present administration are you?

Well too bad I guess you are just one of the few left behind that can not smell the rot just yet.

Kind on touchy on the subject are you? I will let you cool off a bit and let you fall on your own, make sure when reality strikes your are with a nice comfy pillow on your butt.

We don't want nice supporters like you getting their feelings hurt.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Shot, just one of the last knights protectiong the bad dealings of the present administration are you?

Well too bad I guess you are just one of the few left behind that can not smell the rot just yet.

Do not give be that kind of BS Marg. Do you know how much Haliburton made last year?

Halliburton made something like $48 million on $1.3 billion in Iraq contracts in 2004 according to the New York Times That's a 3.5% before tax profit; tax mind you, that's gross not net.

Now if you know anything at all about business, then you know that is the kind of performance that would have most shareholders forming a lynch mob outside the boardroom. I also hope you realize they could have made more money by investing in a good savings CD

But do not let that be known it will show the world what a fool some people are for being ignorant when it comes to company profits.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Shots, you seem to have a vested interest in this. Why? You don't care about higher taxes, or that these whole things reeks of conflicts of interest - at best.

Too bad people feel the need to adress with a larger party rather than just standing on your own. Heck, remember when that used to be the republican platform?

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Do not give be that kind of BS Marg. Do you know how much Haliburton made last year?

Halliburton made something like $48 million on $1.3 billion in Iraq contracts in 2004 according to the New York Times That's a 3.5% before tax profit; tax mind you, that's gross not net.

Now if you know anything at all about business, then you know that is the kind of performance that would have most shareholders forming a lynch mob outside the boardroom. I also hope you realize they could have made more money by investing in a good savings CD

But do not let that be known it will show the world what a fool some people are for being ignorant when it comes to company profits.

Posted by: Matt at January 11, 2004 01:29 AM
Halliburton made something like $48 million on $1.3 billion in Iraq contracts last year according to the NYTimes (I don't have the exact figures right here but look it up that is essentially correct). That's a 3.5% before tax profit. Before tax mind you, that's gross.

If you know anything at all about business then you know that's the kind of performance that has shareholders forming lynch mobs outside the boardroom. They could have made more money on their investment with a passbook savings account - with no risk at all.

www.blogsforbush.com...

either you've been spewing the same dribble, almost word for word, for over a year...or you're an intellectual thief. so, which is it?

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   
18 (now 19) replies and 150+ views and this has not been voted in as a story yet???

new topics

<<   2 >>

join