It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bullet-Proof Vests May Not Protect!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Second Chance Body Armour the largest supplier of protective body armour to US law enforcement agencies has told users to replace 3 of their bullet-proof vests. The company has said that 58,000 Tri-Flex vests and an additional 40,000 Ultima and Ultimax vests with Performance Pacs may not be safe for use!

www.cbsnews.com
New research shows that vests made even partially with Zylon "may fail to perform and result in serious injury or death," it said.

The company said it would ask the court to devise a procedure for vest owners to make claims arising from the latest warnings.

"The safety and well-being of all the officers who wear our body armor is of primary importance to Second Chance, and we strongly encourage all officers to replace ballistic vests that contain Zylon as quickly as possible," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is serious!!!!!

When an officer is on duty he expects his vest to give him some form of protection and from what the company has said it doesnt look like alot of these vest can give that.

At least the company has realised this flaw before any officers have found out the hard way!

Link To Another Article On This Subject!

[edit on 22/6/2005 by MickeyDee]

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Bummer!

(Not One Line)

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Actually, this story was origionally broke back in 2003 when Second Chance had to recall 130,000 of the vests that were made of entirely of Zylon. This update is addressing the vests that contain a mixture of Zylon with other materials.
There are already 9 states that have filed lawsuits against the company
To me, Even though Second Chance is the largest supplier of protective vests, their history leaves one to wonder what their quality control (or lack therof) is like.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
You mean if I have one of those on and someone shoots me in the face I might die?

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Thanx for that info kenshiro2012. Well needed for a full understanding; the news story lead to here does not mention this.

Hear ya on the history bit. Seems if I were a cop, I'de want army flak vest, get tired, but tired ain't dead!! lol

Kramthenothing
You mean if I have one of those on and someone shoots me in the face I might die?

Was there a point to that?

Misfit

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   

To me, Even though Second Chance is the largest supplier of protective vests, their history leaves one to wonder what their quality control (or lack therof) is like.

You know what would absloutly convince me that a company completely stands behind their quality control policies? On the release of a new product, the CEO demonstrates how well it protects you from a 9mm.
The company could hold a raffle for the person who gets to pull the trigger and finnaly shoot their boss!

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Speaking of BP vests not protecting...
I saw this in today's Washington Post:
Officer killed in shootout

The officer, Cpl. Steven Gaughan, 41, died several hours after he was taken to Prince George's Hospital Center with two bullet wounds, one in the shoulder and one in the abdomen. The bulletproof vest he was wearing did not protect him from the gunfire, police said.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   

You know what would absloutly convince me that a company completely stands behind their quality control policies? On the release of a new product, the CEO demonstrates how well it protects you from a 9mm. The company could hold a raffle for the person who gets to pull the trigger and finnaly shoot their boss!

I remember reading about a soldier from Delta Force that was on attachment to 22 SAS a while back called Dan Dan the chainsaw man.
He was so confident of the US body armour and helmets they were using at the time that he dared a member of 22 to shoot him whilst wearing them.
Needless to say nobody would which is probably a good job considering the items he had were just demonstrators.

Anyway my point is, people have alot of faith in their body armour and trust it with their life. And many thousands of US officers are currently believing that they are safe when they are not!

Next it'll be guns that dont fire bullets!

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Did anyone here wether the killed officer was anything to do with these vests?

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Just crackin a joke misfit don't flip out

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kramthenothing

Just crackin a joke misfit don't flip out

I pretty much assumed so, but know better than to make assumptions on a forum, leads to big hoohaa's, heh.

Not flipping out, watch some of my other posts (especially in religious contexts) to see flippin' out - lots of "what the fuk"s, "are you 12 yrs old?" and "are you on DOPE!!!" lolol.

Thanx for the clarification.

Misfit

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
This was brought out on various armed forces and police newsletters almost a month ago.

This is the sort of thing that happens when there's a massive sudden increase in demand and a new product is ramped up in production. Happens with cars, happens with consumer electronics. Sadly, happened here.

IIRC, there were already recalls issued to the military and police with these vests and proper replacements offered.

Just a note: even with these working as designed, we should never get complacent and think under any circumstance is an officer or a soldier even remotely "safe" when doing his/her job. I'd rather there was no need for then to do these jobs, but that's the world we live in.

We could just issue small tanks for officers... mywebpages.comcast.net...

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
how lazy is this company? dont they have any form of quality check in the running of this company? crayons probably get more checks before they are boxed.

the people and departments who need these vests need to look elsewhere.

and what a load of good news for the armed criminal element out there.

gosh - what a mess.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   
In most production companies, they only sample a percentage from the batch that has been made.
Lets say that they make 100 items. They would test only 2% -3% of the entire batch. If the tested items are OK, then the batch is allowed to pass. If it fails, then the whole batch is recalled.
Companies do not have the time to test each one individually. After each one is tested, there will be nothing left of it. Thats why they only test a percentage.

In the UK, this is common practice. I work as a textile flammability analyst, and have had many of these type of vests to test. We send the garments away for testing by an independent body for ballistics strength, then we test for flammability, strength of seams, colour fastness , toxicity of the fabric ,IE dyes being absorbed into the body via the skin. Once all these tests have been carried out, the garment is only fit for the rubbish bin. There is nothing left.
Hope this clarifies why they don't test each and every garment.

new topics

top topics

join