It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New German Supercav Torpedo!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Those creatures are much more famous then the barracuda here. In fact i know only very few people here in the netherlands who know about the barracuda so it would be a sucky name for propaganda purposes because people do not know what they are.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Sorry seekerof, but I couldnt resist commenting that post, as well as this one:

Originally posted by tomcat ha
In fact i know only very few people here in the netherlands who know about the barracuda ...

Might be correct concerning the Netherlands, but we´re talking about Germany here.

... so it would be a sucky name for propaganda purposes because people do not know what they are.

Military development is a very little regarded subject the in german public discourse (as opposed to USA for example), so military stuff cant be used for "propaganda" there.

The concept of this "Barracuda" seems working to me, and I sure think its possible that research is underway in this direction, especially since Germany has a highly developed submarine technology. That I didnt find any official sources concerning it however makes me think about how advanced this project is, or if it still is only in concept phases. However german arms manufacturers tend to be a bit slow with public announcements, one reason being various cases of industrial espionage.

The quoted deepangel site is only a game site, but the featured magazine article is from a popular german TV info magazine. I guess we just have to wait for any real sources for this.

[edit on 24-6-2005 by Lonestar24]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Sorry to necropost, but the source doesnt reveal much new information and hence no new thread about it. The announcement is however taken from the official website of the formerly unrepresented company "Diehl BGT Defence" (Diehl is a german multi-company mainly concerned with defense and high-tech developments and products).

Barracuda

Barracuda is a technology demonstration program for a supercavitating underwater missile for defence against torpedoes and for engagement of submarines. It is equipped with a rocket motor, inertial reference unit/autopilot and a mobile, conus-shaped tip. The rocket motor provides Barracuda with an underwater speed of 360km/hr, the inertial reference unit/autopilot stabilizes the missile and the flexible nose cone provides steering. During underwater travel, Barracuda moves in an air bubble, the so-called cavitation bubble which greatly reduces the water resistance, thus enabling the high speed. Some test models of the underwater missile have been built, successfully demonstrating stable straight and curved path accuracy in several tests. Barracuda will be deployed from submarines and from surface vessels.

Source

Surprisingly it seems that the popular science articles posted earlier in this thread seem to be more or less correct, the earlier figure of 800km/h has reportedly been reached in laboratory conditions (not reflected in this announcement).

I am however not aware of any current interest of the Marine (german Navy) into this technology - too much other things to buy right now.

[edit on 3/4/2006 by Lonestar24]

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lonestar24

Surprisingly it seems that the popular science articles posted earlier in this thread seem to be more or less correct, the earlier figure of 800km/h has reportedly been reached in laboratory conditions (not reflected in this announcement).

I am however not aware of any current interest of the Marine (german Navy) into this technology - too much other things to buy right now.

[edit on 3/4/2006 by Lonestar24]

This is one of the key problems with following research too closely. From the company POV, better is the enemy of good enough and they are always trying to beat the competition to the contract. So while its interesting and of potential, until the military commit to such a program it will not float. What about the possiblity of making these wire guidance to guide it to a target?

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
this is what Monty Burns has to say about this

taunting the germans

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
CH1466, are you this guy?

www.mazepath.com...

You read sort of the same way, no offense inferred or intended.

I like Uncle Al

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
More for those who can read German, or know how to translate using PCs.

www.morgenwelt.de...

posted on Apr, 3 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
So whats the final take on this?
Research project only lab-tested?
And are we talking real torpedo size/weight projectiles or just shells?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join