It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House To Vote On Flag Burning Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Once again there is a bill in the US House of Representatives which for a constitutional admendment that would ban desecration of the flag which would of course include buring of the flag.
This admendment has been passed twice before by the House but it has failed to get the 2/3rds majority in the Senate.

House To Vote On Flag Burning Bill

I am all for freedom of speech but, in my mind, desecration of the flag should be the same as bruning the cross (which is illegal)
Supreme Court Revisits Cross-Burning Ban

How is the symbol of a religion more important to this country than the flag that actually represents it?

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Good post and good point. I suspect though it won't pass as it could be viewed as stepping on freedom of speech somehow. I just don't get why Americans would want to burn the flag. If you don't like the flag, then don't buy one. Plain and simple. I have more respect for someone that stands up and voices and educated opinion of why they dislike something in this country than some that has to resort to flag burning and mud slinging to get their point across. To me that just shows that your arguements are weak if vandilism is the best approach you can come up with.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I hope it doesn't pass.

But if it does...

[edit on 24-6-2005 by KrazyJethro]

join