It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U-2 Spy Plane down in SW Asia

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
i agree janus i was just stating that if the plane had suffered a problem with its engine(s) it still could have glided to somewhere closer to safety. also what exactly is host senstivites?

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
CNN just said the pilot was killed.
This is not a goog thing depending which country he was spying on.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
link valkeryie? or did u hear this on the news?

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I'd be careful with listining to the news networks as they are goin to try and miss feed or jump to conclusions like we sorta are lol.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Host Nation Sesitivities means that the U2 was playing in an area it shouldnt have been. I.E. Iran, Syria etc.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I am adding this for those who may not be familiar with the specs of the U-2
Note this is only the publicly released info:
U-2S
Crew: One
Length: 63 feet (19.2 m)
Wingspan: 103 feet (31.39 m)
Max Speed: 430 mph (692 kph)
Weight: 40,000 pounds (18,144 kg)
Range: 6,000 Miles+ (9,650 km+)

Source

Fact file: U-2S
Valkrie, do you have a link to the report on the death of the pilot? I am watching CNN and missed that report and cannot find a reference for it on thier site.
Thanks

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Operational ceiling still classified then? Anyone hazard a guess as to how high he may have been? Havent heard anything about fatalities yet. At least not on UK news.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
link valkeryie? or did u hear this on the news?

Heard it from Solidad O'Brien (CNN anchor). She said more details soon.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
if we can get the aspect ratio on the U-2 and then could guess or estimate on its alt we could get a glide ratio on the U-2 or guess on what it maybe. But if the pilot was killed im guessin that all would be pointless cause it most likely was shot down.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Janus
Operational ceiling still classified then? Anyone hazard a guess as to how high he may have been?

I have found this Info:

U-2R, and TR-1, U-2S, U-2ST

Construction: Conventional aluminum monococoque, with some composites
Length: 63.1ft
Wingspan: 104.8ft
Wing Area (gross): 1,000 squareft
Height: 16.7ft (at tail)
Empty Weight: Classified
Maximum Takeoff Weight:40,000 lb.
Maximum Speed: over 430 mph
Operational Ceiling: over 70,000ft
Maximum Unrefeuled Range: over 3,000 nm
Aramament: none
Powerplant Data:
U-2R: Pratt & Whitney J75-P-13B with 18,500lb thrust
U-2S: General Electric F118-GE-101 with 18,300lb thrust

www.danshistory.com...#

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Ok here is the latest as from MSNBC
The U-2 was on a surveillance mission over Afghanistan.
The pilot died attempting to land the aircraft in United Arab Emirates.
Cause of the crash is under investigation.

U.S. spy plane crashes in United Arab Emirates

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Just What would they Spy on Over Afganistan?

I dont Buy it....

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Routine recon over Afganistan. Still looking for Osama in Afganistan then.
Dont know about you guys but something dont ring true about this.
If it turns out he took fire that damaged his plane then it sure as hell didnt happen over Afganistan. And why didnt he bail as soon as he was over friendly territory?
Im still going with mechanical faliure tho until someone comes up with proof of a shoot down.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Hey what can I say. I only can report what the military is telling the world.

I do think that it is very possible that the U-2 May have been surveying Afghanistan as there is still the problems of the drug trade as well as the Taliban fighters.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
My thoughts go out to the Pilots family. A sad time for them, something we should keep in mind.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Centcom says the plane was flying in support of Operation Enduring Freedom (Afghanistan) and was returning to base when it crashed. link

The US has bases in Kyrgyzstan but yet the plane crashed in the the total opposite direction of those base located there. Which base was he returning to?

If you look at the map below, you see Iran and Pakistan inbetween Afghanistan and UAE. I'm willing to bet it was flying over one of those countries.

Central and Southwest Asia political.gif

EDIT: OK, I see that the 380th Air Expeditionary Wing has bases in UAE but what route do they notmally fly over to get to and from Afghanistan?

[edit on 22-6-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I don't buy it......I mean this is Afghanistan right, why would we have to use a U2 to do recon over a country that we already have ground and air superiority? We could just use an f-18 or some other aircraft used for recon aswell.

It might have flown thru Afghanistan....but I bet it went other places. Oh well
Guess we'll never know

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
He could have been retasked to have a look see over Iran on his way back from Afganistan and maybe ran into some trouble on his way back i suppose. If he was over Iran at any time he may have wandered of course, it wouldnt be the first time that happened.
Im still wandering why he didnt eject over the UAE when he knew he was safe. A pilot of his obvious experience would have known when to call it a day and bail wouldnt he?

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
I don't buy it......I mean this is Afghanistan right, why would we have to use a U2 to do recon over a country that we already have ground and air superiority? We could just use an f-18 or some other aircraft used for recon aswell.

SportyMB, Great Thinking!

The Only country in Victinty of the Crashed airplane, that would Require a High Altitude Recon Approach is Iran - and the Recon Drones probably cant go everywhere.

And You cant fly an F-18 Over to Iranian airspace, just to take a photo.

I am still betting on a Mission over Iran, which Failed - probably a SAM Launch, after all Iran has Russian's Newest SAM Batteries, including S-300 and probably the newest addition S-400. And they can both reach 70.000 ft without any problems....

Just my humble Opinion.

[edit on 22/6/05 by Souljah]

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Forgive me for sounding stoopid, but wasnt the U-2 retired decades ago?

And if it is still in use then why isnt the SR-71 which is a hell of alot better than it?

And the BBC says that a pilot of the 380th Expeditionary Wing was lost in the crash!

[edit on 22/6/2005 by Identity_Unknown]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join