It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK scraps FOAS(Future Offensive Air System) programme

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   
The UK's high-profile Future Offensive Air System (FOAS) programme, a replacement for the Royal Air Force's (RAF's) Tornado GR.4 strike aircraft, has been scrapped after years of planning and concept evaluation to make way for a fundamentally different kind of project focused on a family of long-range, long-endurance unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) that will probably embrace the combat, reconnaissance and surveillance roles.

FOAS has drifted in the last five years, as it has struggled to establish a firm identity. "It was not well-enough defined and no one is prepared to take big-bang risks anymore," one analyst commented. "We don't need any more killing machines. In the current climate [the UK military's commitment to Iraq and the war on terror], a big aircraft programme at this stage would simply have been shot down in flames."

read full article ....

This is real bad news...The FOAS was a great project and the UK had the technical and industrial base to realise it. I guess american systems will rule the roost for a while now...

Some FOAS schematics & artists impressions :

RAB

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Well it hasn't really been scrapped more like refocused.
The UCAV's and UAV were part of the FOAS and that's the same. They may have change the name from FOAS as they may "now" have some thing to hide or the project has move to maingate from go ahead from the MOD.

These systems are not cheap so just maybe the manned element of FOAS has progressed and the UcAV and UAV is still in the definition / design stage.

RAB

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 03:15 AM
link   
There is a thread on this subject (albeit a very short one) here www.abovetopsecret.com...

I posted my take on the decision in that thread, see what you think.

[edit on 22-6-2005 by waynos]

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Looks kinda like the FCS system, intresting designs, sucks that is was cancelled.

[edit on 26-6-2005 by blue cell]

RAB

posted on Jun, 26 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
To be fair not sure it has really been canned,
I think more Likley the two elements have been split into two areas i.e. one of manned and one for uCAV and UAV.

RAB

new topics

top topics

join