It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUSINESS: Canada's Health Care under NAFTA

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   
All Canadian citizens receive public health care insurance as a right of citizenship, and the system often is touted as a non-profit health care model. Hpwever, a recent ruling in Quebec suggests the nation is moving towards a partly privatized system. The health care exemption under NAFTA becomes null and void if that happens, warns Maude Barlow in the Globe and Mail, and Canada's health care system will go bankrupt.

www.theglobeandmail.com
The (NAFTA) exemption for health care, which has largely kept the big U.S. for-profit health corporations out of Canada, applies only to a fully publicly funded system delivered on a non-commercial basis. ...Once privatized, the system must give "national treatment" rights to U.S. private hospital chains and HMOs... Not only would U.S. health corporations have the right to set up shop in Canada, they would have same right to public funding as Canadian companies. In no time, the public system would be bankrupt and we would have an Americanized corporate health-care system.

If any level of government tried to resist, the next Canada Health Act case would likely be held before a secret NAFTA tribunal at World Bank headquarters in Washington.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Many Canadians are dissatisfied with the current system, and think private insurance will give them better health care. In fact, the popular idea that for-profit health care systems are less expensive and more efficient was blown out of the water by two recent studies. More important, NAFTA harmonization is a big factor - and by comparison, over 45 million Americans are uninsured, while about 50 million more might as well be uninsured, their coverage is so bad.

Ms. Barlow knows NAFTA - and health care is a trade issue. It's big business on the open market. More to the point, sickness and disease are very profitable. So Canada's health care is up for harmonization under NAFTA.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Sad but true. I used to vote for private health care. From what I thought it seemed to make sense. Take those people that could afford their own private care and let them use privat eclinics and what not, which would lower the burdon on the average tax payer to keep the public system up. I still think there is some merit to that, but in order for anything like this to exist that primary concern must be to the patient, and when corperations are envolved, profits generally go before people.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Excellent post, soficrow. Nice to see you here again! Its a well known fact that although our system is troubled and could use lots of improvement, more money is spent on administration of private for profit health systems like in the U.S. than in Canada.

Canada's charter gives us the right to borrow from our Bank of Canada at NO INTEREST for infrastructure and social programs. However, we were sold out in 1913 (same year as the institution of the Federal Reserve) through an amendment to the BNA Act that basically was snuck through.

We actually have access to all the money we need for our health care...its just that they don't want us to know it!!!

Frank Stronach of Magna International (father of Brenda who recently jumped the fence to the Liberal camp), who hired that awful Paul Cellucci (former U.S. ambassador to Canada), would just love to bring in CHO's (like HMO's) here. We need to fight tooth and nail on that!

As an aside - health care is the right of not just Canadian citizens, but landed-immigrants as well.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I have always respected Canadas attempts to care for its citizens. I hope NAFTA doesnt screw it up for them. I wouldnt wish American health care systems on any nation.

Good post Sofi

Thanks for making me aware of this.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Oh Kidfinger...you have no idea how much Canada has been hurt by NAFTA in exchange for the few jobs we received. Brian Mulroney, the prime minister who negotiated the agreement in the 1980's should be tarred and feathered because he sold us out to the U.S. who now seems to have the right to poke its nose into all of our business, not to mention get our oil, water and other natural resourcces in which we used to be so rich. Mulroney left government, but feathered his nest so well he sits on the boards of no less than 27 American corporations. I hated him then and I still do now.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
this story reporting that nafta has an agreement with the canada health act is wrong.this is no public funding for us companies.if there is a secret then we have a problem.public funding is only for canadians and canadian compaines.if we had private practices from the u.s they are on there own.there is a big difference to paying for a service and funding.u.s is not allowed to infringe on canadian funding programs.nafta is about to get a flush down the toilet soon.free trade is dying and i welcome it.there is more money to be made with the trade agreements voided.just ask the boys in montana there rolling in the money moooooo.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Damn, I wish I could access the rest of the article.

Good post, sofi.

AL,
Where did you find this information?

Canada's charter gives us the right to borrow from our Bank of Canada at NO INTEREST for infrastructure and social programs. However, we were sold out in 1913 (same year as the institution of the Federal Reserve) through an amendment to the BNA Act that basically was snuck through.

It's the first I've heard of it.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia

Where did you find this information?

In Sofi's article in the first post is a link to the article. You have to join to read the full story, but there is a synopsis of it on the preview page. BTW, joining this site will not put a virus on your hd. Its free registration. If you are hesitant about singing up, us a free e-mail service like hotmail or g-mail.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
In Sofi's article in the first post is a link to the article. You have to join to read the full story, but there is a synopsis of it on the preview page. BTW, joining this site will not put a virus on your hd. Its free registration. If you are hesitant about singing up, us a free e-mail service like hotmail or g-mail.

I am registered with the globe, BUT to see the full article you must subscribe to the insider edition. You can get a 14 day trial, but it still requires you to enter credit card information, which I'm not going to be doing.

edit: But the question I asked was directed to Always Learning, about the information I quoted below the question. I'd never heard it before and am very curious.

[edit on 22-6-2005 by parrhesia]

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   

edit: But the question I asked was directed to Always Learning, about the information I quoted below the question. I'd never heard it before and am very curious.

[edit on 22-6-2005 by parrhesia]

Im a lisdexic schmuck
Sorry bout that.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
On July 1st, 1867, the British parliament passed the BNA act. This act established the Dominion of Canada, and gave the Canadian government the right to pass the laws. Although, they still needed the approval of the British parliament. Which meant that when the Canadian constitution wanted to change the act, take something out or put something in, they had to apply to the British parliament to make the change.The Provincial legislatures are given the power to make their own laws in fifteen specific subject catagories, and are generally, in all matters of a merely local or private nature in the province according to section 92 of the BNA act.
Among these are:

- provincial lands, hospitals and other institutions
- property and civil rights
- provincial corporations
- licensing and taxation
- administration of justice; prisons and reformatories
- solemnization and annulment of marriage

today this act is vaild even if try to change it the queen of england still holds us as there child.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Hey Parr - I have to go through my information to find the reference to that change. But you are in the Toronto area...you absolutely need to go to these lectures I have been attending by Sydney White @ the free Univerity of Toronto. Its called Studies in Propaganda and its going to start up again September 19th. Anyway, Sydney is the most amazing woman - she worked for years at the U.N. and quickly became very disillusioned about a lot of things. Then she began researching the history of money and how it affects everything, including wars and the corporatocracy(sp). Its the most amazing 10 week session.

I will look into my papers to find the reference, but Sydney spoke of this early in the session.

As an aside, she will be on www.spyman.ca this coming Sunday @ 10 p.m. and will be giving a VERY detailed timeline of the events leading up to 9/11. She goes back 40 years! Listen in and be amazed!

Flukemol - great info on the BNA Act. Thanks!

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysLearning
Hey Parr - I have to go through my information to find the reference to that change. But you are in the Toronto area...you absolutely need to go to these lectures I have been attending by Sydney White @ the free Univerity of Toronto. Its called Studies in Propaganda and its going to start up again September 19th.

Hey, that sounds pretty cool. I didn't know UofT had free lecture series?
I've done a few classes with AnarchistU, some of which have been led by UofT professors. They're awesome classes, ranging from looking at sexuality, to propaganda, looking at carnival, and other political courses, and lucis dreaming workshops. All for free. It's an awesome opportunity

I'll have to look for more info on what you mention though, thanks for the heads up. It sounds great.

I will look into my papers to find the reference, but Sydney spoke of this early in the session.

As an aside, she will be on www.spyman.ca this coming Sunday @ 10 p.m. and will be giving a VERY detailed timeline of the events leading up to 9/11. She goes back 40 years! Listen in and be amazed!

Will check out. Ya, I'm aware of the BNA act but am curious, specifically, about the said ammendment to the act

Thanks for the info, though, flukemol.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Hey, that sounds pretty cool. I didn't know UofT had free lecture series?
I've done a few classes with AnarchistU, some of which have been led by UofT professors. They're awesome classes, ranging from looking at sexuality, to propaganda, looking at carnival, and other political courses, and lucis dreaming workshops. All for free. It's an awesome opportunity

I'll have to look for more info on what you mention though, thanks for the heads up. It sounds great.

Sydney will mention it for sure on Sunday. That's how I found out about it - on mojo radio - A View from Space. She's phones in from time to time. You know, she's retired and does this for free - the university gives her the room. But I don't really think they know all that she talks about. Let's not forget who sponsors universities....

You'll have to tell me more about those lectures you attended as well. Sounds intriguing!

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysLearning
Hey Parr - I have to go through my information to find the reference to that change. But you are in the Toronto area...you absolutely need to go to these lectures I have been attending by Sydney White @ the free Univerity of Toronto. Its called Studies in Propaganda and its going to start up again September 19th. Anyway, Sydney is the most amazing woman - she worked for years at the U.N. and quickly became very disillusioned about a lot of things. Then she began researching the history of money and how it affects everything, including wars and the corporatocracy(sp). Its the most amazing 10 week session.

Flukemol - great info on the BNA Act. Thanks!

i hope to attend this. thanks for the info. 'george' of spyman.ca and spaceman ROCK the conspiracy world.
i'm pretty sure i know who this sydney woman is. i've heard her talk about the 'anti-semitism' issue in the light of the khazar factor.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Thanks all - and sorry parrhesia and everyone - the full article was free when I posted this.

Flukemol - Barlow is right - she specifies that IF healthcare is even partially privatized, THEN the exemption provisions under NAFTA become null and void - and Canada must provide public funding to US corps operating in Canada's health care sector (ie., equal treatment). ...Great info on the BNA act - thanks.

AL and billybob - those free courses sound great. Almost makes me wish I was in TO.

AL - thanks for that info about the BNA act amendment - can you please post more when you find your reference? ...The timeframe is very interesting...

Kid - lysdexic?
Thanks for the chuckle.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   

as posted by Soficrow
...and Canada's health care system will go bankrupt.

Soficrow, my understanding is that the healthcare system in Canada has been, for quite sometime, been an endless, devouring money pit that was slowly heading towards collapse. That the reason the partial privatized system was brought up for consideration was because it would help slow the 'bleeding' and endless dumping of money that the current Canadian healthcare systems is and has been demanding and absorbing.

Thoughts?

seekerof

[edit on 22-6-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

as posted by Soficrow
...and Canada's health care system will go bankrupt.

Soficrow, my understanding is that the healthcare system in Canada has been, for quite sometime, been an endless, devouring money pit that was slowly heading towards collapse. That the reason the partial privatized system was brought up for consideration was because it would help slow the 'bleeding' and endless dumping of money that the current Canadian healthcare systems is and has been demanding and absorbing.

Thoughts?

seekerof

[edit on 22-6-2005 by Seekerof]

I'd say you nailed it on the head Seekerof. It's been going down for years. Brain drain is also a problem. Doc's can make more in the States. Best doctor I ever had moved there over 15 years ago. I don't blame him but I sure miss him.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybob

i hope to attend this. thanks for the info. 'george' of spyman.ca and spaceman ROCK the conspiracy world.
i'm pretty sure i know who this sydney woman is. i've heard her talk about the 'anti-semitism' issue in the light of the khazar factor.

Don't miss it...I loved her lectures. She's serious, but we have good laughs during the 2 hours. She starts by going over the news with her really insightful way of looking at things. She's my hero!

The George usually does a whole hour on spyman every couple of weeks. He researches things so thoroughly and posts a lot of good information at spyman.ca. Check it out.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
This is from a handout that Sydney gave us a few weeks ago. I don't see where it was taken from, but its a place to start researching: First thing we need to do is get a copy of our Constitution!

Why the Bank of Canada can provide funding at no interest for all public infrastructure and social programs: i.e. heath care, education, housing and hydro.

Our Unconstitutional Income Tax

Canadians are in a fight for freedom of choice in healthcare. We are also determined to save the present Medicare system from the control of multinational interests. We declare that it’s our constitutional right to decide how to treat ourselves for what ails us. And it’s true.

But how many Canadians have a copy of the Canadian Constitution in their homes and how many have read the British North America Act (BNA) on which our Constitution is based? Not many! The contents of the Constitution are not taught in schools and a copy is not given to immigrants when they receive their landed status in Canada. Why?

The following article explains the British North America Act and its current status – that it is still the law of the land. The BNA demonstrates the illegality of the present government position on income tax and the so-called “national debt,” and its consequent spill-over effect on everything in our lives, including healthcare. You need to read the Constitution. A copy can be obtained for only $8.00 from Shareholders of Canada, 111-6540 E. Hastings St., Vancouver, B.C. V5B 4Z5
-Editor-

The British North America Act (BNA) of 1867 is Canada’s Constitution. This document has not changed over the intervening years but our country no longer respects or abides by its rules.

The BNA was written to establish the legal basis of Canada. Every law in Canada must comply with the terms of the BNA, otherwise it is unconstitutional! In such cases any law can be disallowed. This document belongs to the citizens of Canada. It is not the property of the government, prime-minister or any parliamentarian – the BNA is ours!

Mr. Trudeau did not alter the BNA when he had it patriated, but he did preside over an addition to it – namely the Canadian Constitution, which is the BNA and the Human Rights Act combined. Sections 91 and 92 deal with specific areas of taxation. These sections spell out who has authority to levy specific taxes and other areas of jurisdiction.

Under the Act, the federal government was denied the right to levy income tax. Our Supreme Court has stated that no level of government is allowed to transfer its authority to another level (federal to provincial or vice versa).

The BNA forbids federal government collection of income tax but grants it the authority and the responsibility to raise capital through the issuance and control of our currency. This was to be based upon the resources and wealth of our nation. The government was given an unlimited supply of debt-free money with which to operate our country and it did the job as spelled out in the BNA for the first 46 years of the country’s existence.

Debt and the Bank Act

About 45 years after Confederation, parliamentarians committed a grave injustice against all future Canadians by allowing an amendment to the BNA (without referendum!) They passed the Bank Act in 1913.

By this act the federal government gave the private banking system the sole right to create, control and distribute our national currency. For the last 83 years this privately-owned system has created and controlled our citizens’ money.

Rather than Canada operating with interest-free and debt-free currency (as intended by the BNA) the banks charge interest to our government. When a finite amount of money exists and interest is charged, we have a system in which the debt incurred can never be repaid. That interest keeps adding up. It is now approaching $2 trillion and it advances about $1,700 every second of the day, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year.

We have this huge debt because our government, in its stupidity, gave away our right to have interest-free and debt-free currency (as an exchange medium only). It was never intended that money should have any value of its own, but to be exactly what I have called it – “an exchange medium.”

Our system is at fault. If our government had abided by our Constitution and printed, controlled and distributed our interest-free and debt-free currency, based on the resources and wealth of our nation, we would have had “an unlimited supply of debt-free money with which to operate our country.” This is what the British North America Act promised!

About 30 percent of our GDP goes as payments on this overwhelming debt which our politicians have placed on our backs and the backs of our children and our children’s children. Our finance minister crows about the fact that he has brought in a balanced budget and a small reduction in our deficit. He has not and will not reduce our debt. In fact, our debt is growing. It’s growing at a slightly slower pace than it was a year or so ago, but much faster than 10 or 20 years ago. It is a debt which cannot be paid off. Our government must stop paying interest on this illegal debt and return to obeying our Constitution and the Charter of the Bank of Canada which was amended by Mackenzie King in 1935 to allow the Bank of Canada to create 50% of newly issued money and loans to our government at NO interest.

Note: currency based on actual resources was issued here and in the U.S. before the Federal Reserve took over! They also were behind our “Bank Act” in the same year they inflicted themselves in the U.S. – 1913.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join