It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Official Night of UFOs in Brazil

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
That the "debunkers" ignore this thread, I can understand, because it's a very hard hit on their point of view.

But that the "believers" also ignore this thread, is a real shame...

This thread is the final proof that the UFO phenomenon is real. The Brazilian Air Force has no reason to invent a story about UFOs. The Brazilian Minister of Aviation had no reason to come to the press, and say that Air Force fighter jets chased UFOs in the sky.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by GLontra

That the "debunkers" ignore this thread, I can understand, because it's a very hard hit on their point of view.

But that the "believers" also ignore this thread, is a real shame...

Here's a nice quote:

"Nothing is so firmly beleived as what is least known"

Michel De Montaigne

Whatever UFOs turn out to be, it looks like the Brazilian Government take the subject incredibly seriously and actively want to know more - just look at all the official documents from the Colares case of 1977:

link

Not to detract from this case but Kandinsky has also authored a great thread below on yet another very interesting Brazilian UFO incident.

Hostile UFO Encounters: Colares, 1977

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

Glontra,

Very good question.

Looked through

this

Could find no obvious reason for the deletion.

Perhaps some wiki expert could try to get the page restored.

Cheers.

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Lowneck

Just re-write it, and use sources, not straight copy+pasting from ufoevidence.org like the last author did and you should be good.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Very interesting this "Colares case". Thanks...

posted on Feb, 26 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by lost_shaman

Originally posted by lost_shaman
The Official Night of UFOs in Brazil

On the night of the 19-20 of May , 1986, 21 objects were reported , and tracked by Ground radar , and at Six planes, over several states in southeastern Brazil.

www.ufoarea.com...

1986: JET CHASE OVER BRAZIL

As many as twenty UFOs were seen and tracked by ground radar and at least six airplanes during the night of May 19, 1986 over several states in southeastern Brazil. Unidentified radar returns were tracked by airports in São Paulo and the Integrated Air Defense & Air Traffic Control Center (CINDACTA) in Brasilia. Two F-5E and three Mirage jet fighters were scrambled from Santa Cruz AFB in Sao Paulo State, and Anápolis AFB in Goias State.

The case was discussed openly by high ranking government officials. It was first reported by Colonel (Ret.) Ozires Silva, president of the state-owned oil company Petrobrás, who was flying on an executive Xingu jet, when he and the pilot saw and pursued unidentified objects for about 25 minutes. The incident was covered widely in the Brazilian media, leading to a press conference at the Ministry of Aeronautics in Brasilia on May 23, with air traffic controllers and air force pilots involved in the scramble mission.

The Minister of Aeronautics, Brigadier General Otávio Moreira Lima, was very outspoken: "Between 20:00 hrs. (5/19) and 01:00 hrs. (5/20) at least 20 objects were detected by Brazilian radars. They saturated the radars and interrupted traffic in the area. Each time that radar detected unidentified objects, fighters took off for intercept. Radar detects only solid metallic bodies and heavy (mass) clouds. There were no clouds nor conventional aircraft in the region. The sky was clear. Radar doesn't have optical illusions.

"We can only give technical explanations and we don't have them. It would be very difficult for us to talk about the hypothesis of an electronic war. It's very remote and it's not the case here in Brazil. It's fantastic. The signals on the radar were quite clear."

The Minister also announced that a commission would study the incident. Air Force Major Ney Cerqueira, in charge of the Air Defense Operations Center (CODA), was equally candid:
"We don't have technical operational conditions to explain it. The appearance and disappearance of these objects on the radar screens are unexplained. They are Unidentified Aerial Movements... The technical instruments used for the identification of the lights had problems in registering them. CODA activated two F-5E and three Mirages to identify the objects. One F-5E and one Mirage remained grounded on alert. A similar case occurred four years ago [the Commander Brito VASP airliner radar-visual incident in 1982]. The lights were moving at a speed ranging between 250 and 1,500 km./hr. [150 to 1,000 mph] The Air Force has not closed the case."

Aeronautics Commission report was not released. However, the accounts of air force pilots and radar controllers were published widely in the press and later studied by Brazilian researchers. A comprehensive report was made by Basílio Baranoff, an airline captain, member of the Aerospace Technical Center, and consultant for the Brazilian UFO organization CBPDV. Baranoff provided a chronology of events for the night of May 19, 1986:

Files from the Brazilian Air Force has recently been opened on this incident , along with two others. The 1977 " Operation Prato" Colares/ Belem , and one other file on an incident in 1954 .

Looking through the Brazilian FOIA documentation it doesn't look like it includes the radar plots.

www.theblackvault.com...

It would be interesting to know how the objects behaved when the Mirage fighters entered within proximity of the objects.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by FooScience

I have read that the objects "chased" the Mirage jets, flying at high speed at the side, or behind the jets.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Important link, in Portuguese:

www.fenomenum.com.br...

Translated using Google Translate:

translate.google.com...

It's the testimonials of Osiris Silva, and the pilots of the fighter jets.

edit on 29-2-2012 by GLontra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Very interesting this "Colares case". Thanks...

GLontra, yes it's certainly one of the more freaky UFO incidents I've ever read about - there's also a pretty fascinating interview at the link below with Lieutenant Brigadier Socrates da Costa Monteiro and he mentions quite a few other unexplained Brazilan UFO cases -he also discusses the radar returns for this incident.

Brigadier, I'd like to resume the Brazilian Official UFO Night when jets were sent to intercept the objects.In that occasion you've said that FAB had been recording such cases for years. You also said that the artefacts went from 250 to 1500 km/h in less than a second, which is confirmed by the documents recently disclosed by the government. What else can you say about it?

My technicians mentioned 4000 km/h, but that speed is too much for our radars. It makes them loose accuracy. Therefore, we can not really state that they flew at that speed (4000 km/h). However, they disappeared from radar screens so quickly that Cindacta's system registered a not much reliable velocity assessment. We could not precisely assert 4000 km/h technically speaking. What was certain is that the objects were at more or less 800 km/h, then suddenly sped up so quickly that they disappear from radar screens. Our technicians said that happened at 4000 km/h, but I do not endorse this assumption.

link

Cheers.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Newspaper article from the Glasgow Herald discussing numerous calls to the Ceara Air force Base from residents about a dark, cigar-shaped object seen in the skies over Brazil:

“More UFO sightings reported by Brazil”

May 1986.

Newspaper Article

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
pffft, alien UFO , yea right, its abviously hot air ballons, chinese laterns, swamp gas, other kind of balloons, experimental aircraft. or the footage was manipulated/cgi'd and spliced from other stuff. Cant think of anything else a skeptic would say.
Feel better?

Ok i tottaly belive in this report and footage. You are right a government would not make something like this up. Especially not back then.
And now i'm scared. time to build that underground ark.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by lost_shaman

On the night of the 19-20 of May , 1986, 21 objects were reported , and tracked by Ground radar , and at Six planes, over several states in southeastern Brazil

Bizarre UFO incident from Uruguay in the same month involving Pucara jet fighters attempting to intercept a UFO travelling at 'dizzying rate of speed':

Military Jet Fighters pursue UFO over Palmar Dam

posted on Oct, 14 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Translated using Google Translate:

translate.google.com...

It's the testimonials of Osiris Silva, and the pilots of the fighter jets.

GLontra, great link mate and that's certainly some interesting UFO testimony.

"On radar I got to do four interceptions and radar contact with all, but I could not see anything at any time, just on the radar. And what impressed me was taken by the target acceleration from a certain moment. Accelerated rapidly until he desacoplasse the radar and I believe around MACH 15, more or less, because it was very fast acceleration. now I was 1.2, 1.3 times the speed of sound and the object reached a speed much higher than I was."

Captain Armindo de Sousa Viriato

I have found a good video from 1986 on YouTube:

Great video too!

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Just to add a rather fascinating snippet to the discussion here, I came across this while listening to a UFOTV film of A. J. Gevaerd, the Brazilian ufo researcher, giving a presentation in 2010 about the efforts in Brazil to persuade the military and government to release their records, efforts that have met with some success.

He says that during the search operation that took place during what’s called the “Official Night of Ufos” incident of May 19-20, 1986, one of the pilots, and his plane, disappeared for an hour and a half, only to reappear later that night at some other airfield where the pilot had no recollection of what had happened to him. I can’t find anything more about this disappearance, or of the interview which Gevaerd was hoping to have with the pilot, so I have transcribed this part of Gevaerd’s talk and post it here. I add it because it’s an interesting and officially confirmed record of the disappearance (and fortunate reappearance) of a military pilot and his plane during a ufo chase. There are other similar tales floating around on the internet, but I think none have confirmation at this type of level — i.e. from a national air force document. The incident does not appear to be covered in any of the timelines or pilots’ testimonies (some linked in this thread) that have been published. Maybe a Brazilian – or Portuguese-speaking – member of this forum could do some digging on the main Brazilian ufo site (link given at bottom) and let us know if there have been any developments in following up the story.

Perhaps equally interesting, during his talk Gevaerd says that the Colares investigation did not in fact stop (though the Brazilian investigation known as “Operation Saucer” was called off in December 1977) and was taken over by US military investigators. Listen from 00:27:20 to 00.31.30 in the film of the presentation.

Transcript below is from UFOTV’s YouTube film of the talk ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqVqY8gsFPY ). Details of the presentation and the X-Conference event are given after the transcript.

The excerpt I have transcribed is part of Gevaerd’s description of the historic invited visit by his group to the Air Force HQ in Brasilia, specifically CINDACTA, a combined air force/civilian air traffic control centre, on May 20, 2005. The staff there had been instructed by top brass to show them “everything”. Specifically with regard to the UFO Night event, they saw, and apparently were allowed to keep, a transcript of the conversations between the chase pilots and the control towers.

(Starts at 1:01:07)
“Now, about the Official Night of Ufos in Brazil, we were able to exam some transcript(s) of the radio conversations between pilots themselves, and [between] the pilots and the tower . . and the several towers involved in the searches, there were several towers . . and seven jet fighters all talking to each other, all chasing ufos, 21 spherical objects 300 ft in diameter going here and there all over.

“Now, we have interviewed most of these pilots, except for one. This gentleman was piloting an F-5E, an American jet, when he disappeared from the radar for several hours [sic]. He ended up by landing one hour and a half later [laughs] — he disappeared in a city called [Campo ?Graju (unintelligible) – maybe Campo Grande?] where I used to live till two years ago, with no knowledge of what happened!

“When he landed there, people came to the runway and said “What are you doing here? It’s in the middle of the night! How are you doing here . . how did you got here? What are you doing here?” And he couldn’t remember a thing.

“All the others have given us interviews of what happened, including their commanders, and the commanders of their commanders, and all the apparatus, all the people involved in this case, we have all way one [and] another interviewed except for this gentleman who eventually will come up with giving us an interview, and with the Brigadier Socrates Monteiro, which was Minister of Defence later on and gave me an exclusive interview last October [2009].

“About it [Official Night] unfortunately we only got the transcript of radio conversations between the pilots, the towers and everything, and about the Varginha case [Jan 1996] — which I repeat was an Army case — nothing was told us. Nothing at all. There was nothing there [in the Air Force records], and the military said, the Air Force military said, they could help us to get more papers in the future from the files of the Brazilian Air Force but they couldn’t deal with the files of the Brazilian Army.

“We have then gone to a different place because even though it was a great moment, a historical moment, for us because we could see some interesting material, . . we show [sic] the good will, we saw the good will from the Brazilian Air Force personnel in taking us and receiving us. They even took us for lunch. . . . “ etc. (Ends 1:04:15)

(Presentation details etc given in next post as I have no characters left!)

posted on Oct, 27 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
(Details for above transcript)
From presentation entitled “A New World Power Emerges” given by Ademar José Gevaerd on May 8 at 6th X-Conference, May 7–9, 2010, held at the National Press Club, Washington, DC. Gevaerd is editor of UFO Magazine (Brazil), founder and director of the Brazilian Center for Flying Saucer Research (CBPDV) and Brazilian director for MUFON. His website, all in Portuguese, is www.ufo.com.br

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
South American seems to be a hotspot for UFO Phenomena.

is it because of their massive sparsely populated areas? all thes UFO sighting moslty occured on less populated areas.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by romillyh

shame that great thread like this get minuscule response while thread like "is this photo a ufo?" or "alien baby corpse found" thread are filled with posts

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by milomilo
reply to post by romillyh

shame that great thread like this get minuscule response while thread like "is this photo a ufo?" or "alien baby corpse found" thread are filled with posts

I agree, where is the discussion here?

Alien baby corpse? Do you have link to that?

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

lost_shaman

On the night of the 19-20 of May , 1986, 21 objects were reported , and tracked by Ground radar , and at Six planes, over several states in southeastern Brazil.

Don´t know if it´s genuine but here´s an alleged government document about the case posted last week in Brazil.

FAB document confirms the existence of UFOs

A document from the Brazilian Air Force recently "declassified" by the corporation (ie, released from confidential status), says the unidentified flying objects (UFOs) do exist and require intelligent actions.

The document was signed by Brigadier-the-air Jose Pessoa Cavalcanti de Albuquerque, acting commander of the COMDABRA (Brazilian Air Defense Command), on June 2, 1986.

Officially, the Brazilian Air Force has never acknowledged the existence or nature of UFOs. But hidden there, in the middle of pages and pages, there's this pearl.

The report refers to an episode that became known as the "night of official flying saucers" in Brazil. On May 19, 1986, many UFOs were detected by radar and visual contact, there was persecution mutual fighters FAB and mysterious objects, capable of incredible variations of speed, direction and altitude, as described in the section highlighted above.

The conclusion is as exhaustive as it can be for a group of people perplexed. "(E) ste Command is of the opinion that phenomena are solid and reflect somewhat intelligences, the ability to monitor and keep away from observers as well as fly in formation, not necessarily manned," says the report

Link

lost_shaman

Files from the Brazilian Air Force has recently been opened on this incident , along with two others. The 1977 " Operation Prato" Colares/ Belem , and one other file on an incident in 1954 .

There´s more info below about the Brazilian document release mate and also brought up is the missing 16 hours of UFO footage from Colares.

Brazilian Ministry of Defense - Official Meeting With UFO Researchers.

Cheers.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   

romillyh

Just to add a rather fascinating snippet to the discussion here, I came across this while listening to a UFOTV film of A. J. Gevaerd, the Brazilian ufo researcher, giving a presentation in 2010 about the efforts in Brazil to persuade the military and government to release their records, efforts that have met with some success.

He says that during the search operation that took place during what’s called the “Official Night of Ufos” incident of May 19-20, 1986, one of the pilots, and his plane, disappeared for an hour and a half, only to reappear later that night at some other airfield where the pilot had no recollection of what had happened to him.

Romillyh, can't seem to find out any more about the pilot account on the internet mate but will certainly keep a look out -below are some other links about the case containing government documentation and the timeline of events, there's also information on the document posted above.

Among the important files just released in the 80s package, there it is a certain ‘Occurrence Report’, dated June 02, 1986, just a few days after the ‘invasion’ by 21 UFOs of the most developed areas in the country. It has 8 pages and is signed by Air Brigadier Jose Pessoa Cavalcanti de Albuquerque, acting commander of the Brazilian Air Command of Air Defense (COMDA). Now, what this report contains is very interesting, and I quote its Final Considerations part:

1. Based on the analysis of above-reported events, it is this Command’s opinion that, according to the information from the controllers, pilots and previously elaborated reports from I Cindacta (Air Traffic Control and Aerial Defense Center), that there are some points of coincidence regarding radar echoes, accelerations, illumination, velocities and behavior, either by technical detection or by visual contact.

2. Some of those coinciding points that we can name are those phenomena which exhibited certain constant characteristics, as follows:

a. Produced radar echoes, not only on the Air Defense System, but also on the intercepting airplanes simultaneously, with visual comparisons by the pilots.

b. Change in velocity, from subsonic to supersonic, besides hovering capability.

c. Varied altitude, from below FL-050 to altitudes above FL-400.

d. Occasionally seen as white, green and yellow lights, and sometimes no luminous indication.

e. Sudden acceleration and deceleration

And there is more. In the Item 3 of the Final Considerations part, the Occurrence Report says clearly that ‘the phenomenon (UFOs) is solid and reflects intelligence’. See it in full:

3. As a conclusion of the observed constant facts in almost all presentations, it is the opinion of this Command that the phenomenon is solid and reflects intelligence by its capacity to follow and sustain distance from the observers, as well as to fly in formation, and are not necessarily manned craft.

Link

NICAP Case Directory

Cheers.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join