It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Jack Kilby, Inventor Of The Integrated Circuit Has Died

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Jack Kilby, 81, inventor of the integrated circuit has died following a battle with cancer. Kilby invented the device in 1958 which replaced bulky and often fragile circuitry. He also co-invented the hand held calculator. Kilby won the Nobel Prize for physics in 2000.

news.yahoo.com
DALLAS - Nobel laureate Jack Kilby, whose 1958 invention of the integrated circuit ushered in the electronics age and made possible the microprocessor, has died after a battle with cancer.

Kilby died Monday at age 81, said Texas Instruments Inc., where he worked for many years.

Before the integrated circuit, electronic devices relied on bulky and fragile circuitry, including glass vacuum tubes. Afterward, electronics could become increasingly more complex, reliable and efficient: powering everything from the iPod to the Internet.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Imagine the world today if the ENIAC had reigned supreme? No internet, an Ipod that was the size of a desk, etc. Its invention ranks up there among the wheel in how it changed our world. Not long after Robert Noyce created the first commercially practicable integrated circuit. The building that that took place still stands today at 844 E. Charleston, Palo Alto, California.

[edit on 6/21/05 by FredT]

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
i don't know anything about electricitric circuitry except i love all it can allow to happen. I just wanted to acknowledge his great efforts, and being my father was an electrician say thank u to this man.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
What!
Do you mean that the IC wasn't back engineered from crashed alien spacecraft, but invented by a puny human!

He must have been a great inventer, pity he wasn't lauded more for his creation whilst he was alive.

Someone tell the Alien and UFO forum....

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
What!
Do you mean that the IC wasn't back engineered from crashed alien spacecraft, but invented by a puny human!

He had 60 patents to his credit so he must have been a grey

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
the creation of ENIAC played a major role in the revolution of computer technology.

god bless mr kilby.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I may be slightly biased, since I am studying electrical engineering, but I think the IC is an absolutely phenomenal invention. I consider the transistor (ICs are built out of transistors) to be the greatest invention of the 20th century, and the IC obviously directly follows from that.

Originally posted by netchicken
What!

He must have been a great inventer, pity he wasn't lauded more for his creation whilst he was alive.

Someone tell the Alien and UFO forum....

Well, I did a lot of research on transistors and ICs and all that stuff for a history of technology course in university, and this stuff is extremely well documented. I came across theories in my research about how the transistor was 'scavenged at roswell' and other crap. That is just an insult to some of the best engineers we have ever had.

Originally posted by topsecretombomb
god bless mr kilby

Amen.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
and at no time in his life did he make, even adjusted for inflation, half of what a flash-in-the-pan pop starlet or loud sneaker-selling sports star makes in a year.

Society has it's priorities waaay screwed up. There should have been TV series, action figures and bubblegum trading cards of this guy.

Heaven is about to get a major technological upgrade. Rest in peace, Mr. Kilby.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The world would have been a very different place without his mind and knowledge.

Thank you Jack Kilby for all your work

JAK

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Here are a few pages that I found interesting reading:

ABOUT JACK
    The Chip that Jack Built Changed the World

Integrated Circuit It was a relatively simple device that Jack Kilby showed to a handful of co-workers gathered in TI's semiconductor lab more than 40 years ago -- only a transistor and other components on a slice of germanium. Little did this group of onlookers know, but Kilby's invention, 7/16-by-1/16-inches in size and called an integrated circuit, was about to revolutionize the electronics industry.

The Answer to a Problem

It was in a relatively deserted laboratory at TI's brand new Semiconductor Building where Jack Kilby first hit on the idea of the integrated circuit. In July 1958, when most employees left for the traditional two-week vacation period, Kilby -- as a new employee with no vacation -- stayed to man the shop.

ABOUT JACK
    Overview

Jack Kilby with Integrated CircuitThere are few men whose insights and professional accomplishments have changed the world. Jack Kilby is one of these men. His invention of the monolithic integrated circuit - the microchip - some 45 years ago at Texas Instruments (TI) laid the conceptual and technical foundation for the entire field of modern microelectronics. It was this breakthrough that made possible the sophisticated high-speed computers and large-capacity semiconductor memories of today's information age.

ABOUT JACK
    So, What If He Had Gone on Vacation?

Jack Kilby describes how he developed the world's first integrated circuits.
    "After several interviews, I was hired by Willis Adcock of Texas Instruments. My duties were not precisely defined, but it was understood that I would work in the general area of microminiaturization. Soon after starting at TI in May 1958, I realized that since the company made transistors, resistors, and capacitors, a repackaging effort might provide an effective alternative to the Micro-Module. I therefore designed an IF amplifier using components in a tubular format and built a prototype. We also performed a detailed cost analysis, which was completed just a few days before the plant shut down for a mass vacation.
Jak

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet
and at no time in his life did he make, even adjusted for inflation, half of what a flash-in-the-pan pop starlet or loud sneaker-selling sports star makes in a year.

I was surprised to see he was not one of those mega $$$$ guys. But can you image his imense personal satisfaction with knowing that what he invented changed the world in by and large a positive way. ALmost everybody lives are touched in one way or another by what his invention was made into.

top topics

join