It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Marijuana Flavored Candy Angers Anti-Drug Advocates

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Marijuana flavoured lollipops have gone on sale accross the US angering anti-drugs advocates across the country. The products are currently legal because they are made using hemp oil which gives the lollipops the taste of Marijuana.

www.usatoday.com
"It's nothing but dope candy, and that's nothing we need to be training our children to do," said Georgia state Sen. Vincent Fort, who has persuaded some convenience stores to stop selling the treats.

"There are more than 70 million people in the United States who smoke marijuana. We're catering to the audience of people who are in that smoking culture," said Rick Watkins, marketing director for Corona, Calif.-based Chronic Candy, which uses the slogan "Every lick is like taking a hit."

New York City Councilwoman Margarita Lopez introduced a resolution condemning the candies when she saw them at convenience stores near schools in her district. She plans to hold hearings this summer.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What'll they think of next???

They might aswell advertise the smoking of the real stuff to children.

If kids grow up liking the taste of these they wouldnt think twice about smoking the real stuff if they were offered.

Get the stuff off the shelves! NOW!

[edit on 21/6/2005 by MickeyDee]

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Why? There's nothing illegal about this whatsoever. Perhaps the packaging and slogan should be changed to deflect similarities between consuming this candy and consuming marijuana, but that's about it. Ever hear of "Coca-Cola"?

Zip

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   

They might aswell advertise the smoking of the real stuff to children.

If kids grow up liking the taste of these they wouldnt think twice about smoking the real stuff if they were offered.

Get the stuff off the shelves! NOW!

Well, the article said it would only be sold to 18+. Understandable, the taste would make most young ones puke.

I think you're reading way too much into this. Get over the fear.

Side note: If this product helped get people off of pot, wouldn't you say this could be a good thing? Although, it's been said that pot isn't physically addictive. Personal experience has led me to believe this but what about the phsycological? Toothpicks really help when quitting smoking

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I totally agree, the US must take these products from the shelves as soon as possible!

They may be a laugh to people at the moment, but they wont be laughing when every 10 year old in the US is spending their pocket money on Marijuana!

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I don't understand why people would want these taken out of stores, so why? Is it because you believe the lies that the U.S. government put out over 70 years ago? Hemp, marijuana if you prefer the term, is a miracle plant! It shouldn't be restricted!

So again, why should it be taken away?

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   

There are more than 70 million people in the United States who smoke marijuana.

People are griping about a marijuana flavored candy? 70 million people is considerable amount of people.......and it seems that this information is nonchalant and given. Alot of good that 'War on Drugs' in the 80's was.......

But actually, a lollipop that tastes like pot does go a long way in advertising for the illicit drug. The fact that it can be seen and associations can be made is sometimes enough of a permission for people who otherwise wouldn't be so inclined. For that fact, the uproar doesn't surprise me.

By the way....ugh.....and I thought the tequila flavored lolly was the bottom of the barrel........

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
...Marijuana flavoured candy... yuck it must taste narsty it would taste so bad that the kids would think it would be good for them and they would shun it, lol I know I would if I were a kid. I predict it will be a flop and not because of the wastefull War on Drugs but because of taste

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I don't think I'd like marijuana-flavored candy without the active ingredient, I don't see a point to it.

But this should be completely legal. As already said I think Coca-Cola is still flavored with the coca plant that produces coc aine.

Odd

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
djohnston77 is right, the taste isn't really what brings people to marijuana.

in fact, a lot of my friends find the taste appalling... i know one girl that can't take a single hit without gagging.

flipping out over this isn't going to help anyone, by the way-- as has been said above, the only reason most people 'fear' marijuana is their unquestioning adherence to government rhetoric regarding the plant.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The old stinky weed is certainly an accquired taste that many come to enjoy, much like alcohol or coffee, but I can't see ever enjoying that particular taste in a lollypop.

I second the "yuck".

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Actually, last night on BBC1 there was a documentary done on weed/dope, whatever you wish to call it. The early signs show that 1/10 people will suffer paranoid attacks from smoking weed, with half these having a recurring attacking while they keep smoking and about 1/100 being paranoid for life. SO...it's not the miracle drug people think it is.

Edit: Show was done by a guy who used to smoke weed and helped to work towards getting it brought down to a C class drug in the U.K. it involved a study done in England, Sweden, Japan and America as well as tests on several species of animals with the guy admitting he was mistaken and foolish to help get it moved down to a class C.

[edit on 21-6-2005 by Odium]

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
And the difference between this and candy cigs is? Only one difference, smoking pot is still illegal after one turns 18.

I loved candy cigs, but that is not what started me smoking them, it was the man I so looked up to when I was 14 (not him pushing for it, but me wanting to be like him), candy cigs of years gone by was not in my head.

You are also #tin' brinks for nothing being I read that this candy is only available to those over 18 years. So, how is that affecting little kids?

As for taste, all you that mention how "appauling" and so on pot tastes, you've either never smoked, or are smoking someones home-grown from the back yard where Rover has his constitutional. I've smoked pot so sweet it would make a world class baker drool.

Again, if this candy is not available to minors, what the hell are you bitching about? You have no basis to talk about pot and kids relating to commercial pot candy and kids when the latter they can not buy to ever be the spur to "try harder drugs". Seems the matter belays in the fact YOU think pot IN WHOLE iswrong, so this candy ...... CANDY only available to adults fer fuk sakes ........ must also be wrong. Whith this mentality, there is a whole world of items that you need to start boycotting to get off the market, because they would be bad for kids. Little kids can't drive, better take cars off the market; plastic bows and arrows will make them try to get a 120lb combo set, better take those off the martket too; I could type all day with examples that suite this backwards brain function.

Might want to re-adjust your thought processes for, oh I don't know ....... REALITY !!.

Ugh

Misfit

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Marijuana has its good points and its bad points. I thought it was universally known that smoking marijuana caused temporary paranoia for some people... It took a freaked out documentary to bring that to the public's attention?

Marijuana or hemp flavoured lollipops = bad.
Cigarettes and alcohol = good.

Congratulations - you have been brainwashed by corporate America. Anti-marijuana legislation was supported by the cotton industry. Pro-tobacco and pro-alcohol legislation (by the way, cigarettes and alcohol are physically addictive, as opposed to marijuana) was driven by the tobacco giants and prohibition lessons.

It is almost universally accepted among science and health experts that marijuana is not in the same category of "danger" as alcohol and tobacco. It's not even in the same #ing ballpark. You will not get the truth about marijuana from EITHER a hippy OR a scare-tactic documentary.

Zip

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   

There are more than 70 million people in the United States who smoke marijuana

Wow, had no idea that many people smoke!!
The population of the US is like 300 million....that's a little under 25% of all Americans. That's alot of criminals
...what if they all got busted

Who cares if it taste like marijuana, if you don't like it, don't eat it!!

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Ethical, legal and moral points aside, who really want's to eat pot flavored candy that's just nasty.

I can understand if you smoke it but why would you buy something that tastes like it.

Anybody here with a bong and bag sitting next to your computer go ahead and pop a bud in your mouth and chew away...not very tasty is it?

Whatever happened to just making pot brownies? What about brownie flavored pot candy!

If you're a smoker would you buy cigarette flavored candy? Hell no, that's nasty.

And if you are going to make pot brownies please remember that the proper way to bake a pot brownie is...wait would I get in trouble if I told people how to make good pot brownies on ATS, probably, so never mind.

Spiderj

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
this is hilarious

dope candies

!!!

lmfao, i myself am for pot. but not for children hahaha. making them into candies is just insane. im sure youve all heard of the hemp cookies too.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   

One word: knee jerk.

Uh, that's two words, to much Pot I suppose... Well, lets take away the knee.

Funny how people like to moan about stuff they obviously have no firsthand knowledge about.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Spiderj,

===============

.........."I can understand if you smoke it but why would you buy something that tastes like it.".......

===============

Where do you people get this idea that all pot tastes the same? Does all your food tastet the same? Does all your liquids taste the same?

There are hundreds and hundreds of varieties of pot, consisting of both tastes and potency.

As I said in a post previous your blanket statement, I've smoked pot so sweet it would make a world class baker drool.

How about chillin' with the quite obvious un-uninformed taste test results.

Misfit

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
mmmm...bong-water flavored candies...mmmm....are you kidding me? I would think it would taste nasty.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
i've had a marijuanna flavored sucker, it actually tasted pretty good, wouldn't say it taste exactly like weed, but it wasn't nasty

odd said

"in fact, a lot of my friends find the taste appalling... i know one girl that can't take a single hit without gagging. "

Sounds like the schwag lol

[edit on 21-6-2005 by Lysergic]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join