It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prophesy, Tounges, Healing, Raising From The Dead, Etc.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
This is a wee bit of a poll. I'm curious what the Christians here in our little community believe so far as miracles go. Do you believe the church of today no longer has the gifts granted to her in the early days as described by acts, are the same abilities still possible through the Holy Spirit, or is it somewhere in between?

Also, if you believe the church today has the same potential as it did in Peter's day, why do you think it's not being practiced or preached by mainstream Christianity?

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Im not sure about the manner in which it is done (or not done) but I know that healing via prayer is real.
Every time you read scripture you read prophecy.
I have not seen tongues but it was disorderly and I suppose it was fake because there was no interpretation like the bible says there should be.

[edit on 21-6-2005 by jake1997]

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Much of what was related in the bible such as faith healing are still around and is going strong. The difference being is that instead of the church promoting those with this type of gift, the church directly attempts to debunk them.
I know of 2 seers and one who have the power to heal through faith. None of these people you will ever see in the papers nor in the news. They would rather use thier gifts to those to whom it will help without looking for the noteriety that doing such (as on TBN) fosters.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:36 AM
link   
All these things are still happening every day in churches around the world. I believe very strongly that no matter the amont of time that has passed Gods promises will remain the same.
Many Christians find it especially hard to understand speaking in Toungs. The Bible talks about two different types of toungs. there is the ability to speak in toungs wichis the enitial evidence of the baptisim of the Holy Spirit as in Acts 2... (read the first 4 verses to get the whole context). Then the Bible talks about the Gift of toungs which is where Peter talks about needing an interpreter. This is because the gift of toungs is for the edifycation of the whole church where as the ability to speack in toungs is our spirit speaking directly to Gods spirit.
Hope that was of help Feel free to contact me with any more Questiond

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Excellent book -

Raised from the Dead
ISBN 0-89555-251-5
Publisher - Tan Books

Over 400 true stories of resurrection miracles.

In regards to prophecy ... I have seen tons of alleged
'christian' prophecies posted on the internet and talked
about on TV. None of them have ever come true and
they all smack of bias and anti-other-religion bigotry.
I believe that if the gift of prophecy is being given out,
then it is in very small quanitities and it is with people
who you will never hear from.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Well, this is good to hear! So many people I talk to in real life seem to believe that God changed his mind about the gifts of the Holy Spirit right around 200AD or so. I even know someone very well who is a preacher. He thinks not only that the Holy Spirit no longer inspires prayer in tounges, but that it is from Satan and is evidence that you haven't truely found Christ.

My dad used to be a paramedic before he was injured in a fire and forced into retirement. He is also a very devout Christian. Some of the things that he has done through the Holy Spirit are incredible. He was telling me about one woman they picked up that had something wrong(don't remember the health details) and was going into convulsions in the ambulance. My dad had a very strong urge to lay hands on the guy, but he's also extremely timid when it comes to his religion, and he resisted. Suddenly the woman sat straight up, looked my dad in the eyes and in a very gutteral male voice started flinging insults and curses at my dad like you wouldn't believe, referring to him by name. Though timid, he didn't even hesitate in what he did. He laid his hands on the woman's chest, started praying in tounges and slipping out of tounges into English binding and casting a demon out of this woman. All the while this woman is swearing at him and knows him. As suddenly as it began, the prayer stopped, the woman rested on the streacher/gurnee/whatever you call those things and stabilized.

Every one of the other paramedics, with one exception, who were not Christians became such that day.

There have also been stories he's told me where everyone's given up on someone. The person is, for all intents and purposes, dead beyond medicine's ability to bring them back. Then the Holy Spirit speaks to him. There were times he dismissed the Call as we all have done (though probably in less critical situations), but he has told me a couple of times where he laid hands on the dead person and they immediately came back to life, healed.

So I definately believe the gifts God gave us through the Holy Spirit when Jesus went back to sit with His father are the same today as they were 2000 years ago.

new topics

top topics

join